1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solid State amp you've known and loved,,, or hated,

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 17, 2020.

1. schroeder

schroeder Tele-Meister

I picked up mine for $75 to use as a 2x12 speaker cab. Lots of noise that was just broken solder joints on the filter caps. Last year I went opposite direction & converted from speaker cab to a head. Definitely an amp to play using the clean channel.
    [​IMG]

2. schroeder

schroeder Tele-Meister

My first real amp was a Fender Stage 112 SE. Sold it to my Brother-in-law when I got a tube amp. Tried a few times to buy it back, but no luck.
    I have since gathered up a small amp collection of small/medium/large tube & solid state amps.
    It needs a lot of work, but this SS Ampeg GT-10 sounds pretty good. Full size reverb pan. Discrete components - no chips.
    [​IMG]

3. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

My current fave SS is my Acoustic Image Ten2. I bought it as a clean jazz guitar amp and bass amp. 800 watts of Class D power, two 10" speakers and a switchable tweeter.

4. chrisdb

chrisdb TDPRI Member

about 20 years back I had a used Peavey TransTube Bandit that was remarkably soulful that I now regret selling after buying a Peavey 1x15 Delta Blues. I have a friend gigs out a lot and he leaves his vintage Fender amp home and always plays through his Peavey Bandit on gigs.

I also have an Acoustic 150 with a matching 6x10 cabinet that the original owner practically gave to me. It had been sitting in his basement since the 70's and he wouldn't take more than $100 for it. I'm starting to use it much more now that I have discovered the JOYO amp modeler pedals... the "American" in particular... that lets me dial in a nice tone without getting uncomfortably loud in my own basement.

driver8 likes this.
  5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I like and use my Quilter Tone Block 201 all the time. I never really bonded with My Fender Mustang I (had it for 10 years at this point) or a Traynor Reverb Mate 30 (I picked up at a thrift store).

6. LesQuire

LesQuire TDPRI Member

Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb, ZT Lunchbox, ZT Lunchbox Reverb and Electro Harmonix Magnum 44. These are my SS amps that I love. Think I prefer most of them to the few tube amps I've owned, a Hot Rod Deluxe and a Vox Night Train 15. The more I use my ZT Lunchbox Reverb the more I realise that I can get pretty much any sound that I like out of it when combining with a gain pedal. It's much more flexible than you'd think!

7. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

He did when I saw him in Madison. It sounded good, too.

I had a little Acoustic G20 that I liked pretty well.

8. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I bought a Mustang LT50 last summer. It took extensive computer tweaking to get the tones that I want, but it can be done. It falls just short of the sweetness of my Dean Markley tube amp, but it is super convenient, on-board effects, and I can carry it in one hand. And, it is loud enough to gig with.

still life.jpg

9. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Peavey Bandit with an American Sound is a great combo

10. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I have an old Peavey Studio Pro 50 (ca 1983) that I love! It's only 20 lbs, has a 12 inch speaker, it's loud, and takes pedals well.
    It's my new practice amp once those resume

IMG_2121.JPG

BB likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.