1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solid State amp you've known and loved,,, or hated,

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Polytone Mini Brute II

60’s era Kustom K50 Tuck & roll with a 12” ceramic Jensen speaker

ASATKat likes this.
  2. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

Peavey Stereo Chorus 400, 2 x 12" and 2 x 130 SS watts.
    Best amp I've ever had.
    As loud as a 16 floor concrete building with a big "LOUD" sign on front.
    Heavy as a small car.

I couldn't be arsed to drag it around anymore, so I changed it out for a Marshall valvestate 100 w head.
    Big mistake.
    The Marshall was just awful. AWFUL, I tell you.
    I traded the Marshall in for a used Peavey Deuce 2 x 12 (power tubes) and obviously had to be arsed again.
    Until I couldn't anymore.

Had a Roland cube 30 - ok, but just that. Donated it to a friend of mine's son.
    Had a Bugera V22 combo - very very nice, probably the best tube amp I've ever had, but had to sell it due to urgent economic crisis.

Now: Fender Mustang II v 1.
    It's all I need, It has a remarkable tube like response and a couple of good effects.
    And it's about $70 these days.

But I really miss that car....uh...Peavey Stereo Chorus 400.
    I really do. It was a good beast.

preactor likes this.
  3. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I just re-vitalized this rig after many years sitting on the shelf... works great for guitar or bass... takes pedals extremely well... as loud as God, maybe louder Resurrected from 1979 (cropped).jpg ...

- 1979 Ashly SC-40 Instrument Preamp (I'm the original owner)
    - 1979 Anvil 4-Space rack case (also original owner)
    - Symetrix 501 rack mount compressor (not currently plugged in
    - Crown XLS-1000 power amp (bridged mono @ 700 watts) ($100 used/mint)
    - Well-made, home-made ported 1x15" cabinet (w/ casters)
    - 1980-something Electro-Voice Pro Line EVM 15L 400 watt speaker

ASATKat likes this.
  4. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Looks like a fun project, sweet, soundclips?

5. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

The kissing cousin of of the JC, the Boss Katana has a clean mode and also an acoustic mode. The acoustic mode is basically unaffected so it is great for keys, mics, Kempers etc,,, oh, also acoustic guitars.

How much they are kissing cousins other than the same company, the JCs were before all the new solid state tech being produced by Boss/Roland today.

6. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

My first amp...an old Gibson G-10 Solid State. Not quite clean enough to be clean or dirty enough to be dirty. I kept this old girl for about 40 years. Replaced with a Fender Mustang. Wish I had done this years ago. DSCN3166.JPG

ASATKat likes this.
  7. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Just discovered that the best sounding amp I had ever plugged into was an old teal stripe Bandit at a church I was invited to play in.

Did some research, and that teal stripe stuck in my memory for some reason.

What an amazing amp.

DLReed likes this.
  8. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

COOL!

9. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

Laney Session 40...my first decent amp. Got some great sound from it, but SS amps don't like to be run flat out, so after 5 years, it died. I'd love one now to mess with, because it had an onboard parametric EQ control, which I didn't understand how to use back then.
    Marshall Valvastate 8040. 'Hybrid' amp, replaced the Laney. It was a SS amp witha 12AX7 wired in for BS marketing purposes. The valve had no effect on anything and I've since found out they didn't draw enoughcurrent to do anything more than glow. Sounded okay, but totally unreliable. Got sold after a year.
    Marshall JMP1 rack preamp. See Valvestate. Same 12AX7 BS. One trick pony, 128 patches that all sound the same. Traded after 3 months for a Mesa Boogie Triaxis.
    My Dad had a 30W Peavey back in the 80s, but I can't remember the model name - Bandit? - which was really nice, and he had a Fender Roc Pro 100, same hybrid BS as the Marshalls, which was really nice, especially clean.
    Never owned one, but borrowed a Roland JC120 once which was mind blowing for clean sounds.
    A couple of friends, who had reasonable chart success during the 80s, toured using a pair of 200W Fenders each. I think they were called Showman 212s, they looked like blackface Twins, but they were SS. The sound suited what they were doing at the time...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  10. Karl Beach

Karl Beach TDPRI Member

The Tech 21 NYC Trademark 10 (discontinued) and Trademark 30 amps are eminently portable, delightfully musical, and downright awesome.

lupowitz likes this.
  11. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Princeton Chorus - very sweet sounding amp, just couldn't get any midrange out of it so it always sounded kind of "muted."

Vox Pathfinder 15R - had a magic to it for SS, loved the trem (past tense b/c it died on me :( )

Peavey Revolution (Bandit) - best SS amp I ever played, still use mine to this day :cool:

12. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

My much used and abused Sessionette 75 from mid 80's. These were pretty popular in their day and were often referred to as the "British Boogie" which is not accurate at all.....they are far better than that! Mine is on its third power module and its second Celestion speaker and has remained with me while literally dozens of far more exotic amps have been and gone.

[​IMG]

lupowitz, ASATKat and somebodyelseuk like this.
  13. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Found a NOS Blues Cube 60 with 2X10". Price sticker and tag still on it.
    NAD to come.

$_59.JPG

Rocky058, lupowitz and Honest Charley like this.
  14. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

Ibanez GX 100

15. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Hated-
    Yamaha G-30 112 awful distortion, meh cleans. Traded for a tweed deluxe straight up-wish I still had THAT amp!

peavey pacer-no matter what, could not get a decent tone out of that amp.
    Roland JC-120- I know it’s on a lot of fave lists, but I find them Too cold and clinical. Was playing at the international blues challenge and the other guitarist took the twin reverb. On the plus side, it does take pedals well...

Liked- Fender Princeton 65-recorded a whole CD using one, very surprised how good it sounded.

Guild Model 1 (early 70s) My first amp, had a neat reverb and tremolo...

Peavey Studio Pro-another recording amp, did some early demos using one

Franc Robert

16. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Polytone 102
    polytone.jpg

This is a pic I found online. I got one in 74 and it was already beat up, the jewel light didn't work nor the reverb. But it was cheap and powerful. 90 watts of clean. I could only get it to grind a little with humbuckers and even then it was only slight.

It served me very well for every gig I did from then till about 92 when I replaced it with a Crate. It still serves me as a cab that houses a very much cherished Celestion G80 12 that I use with my Superchamp X2 and Champion heads (no the Champion doesn't come as a head. I stuck the brain from a 40 into an old X2 cab)

Looks very much worse for wear but it still makes music.
    polytone2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  17. markal

markal Tele-Holic

I have the 60 watt and this is pretty accurate. I like the clean tone, the crunch and high gain sounds are quite good, but edge of break-up sounds are nearly impossible with the Crush series. It just sounds raspy and harsh.

Pixies2005 likes this.
  18. tonyp145

tonyp145 Tele-Meister

I love this thread! Have had many SS and tube amps over the years, but the best SS I ever had was a Polytone 102 I bought for $75 in the 90s. I was dead broke in LA, had sold my M-B Mk IV to pay bills and just needed something to gig with. I bought that amp and an original SansAmp pedal for $125. One of the best gigs I ever played was with that setup, I was on fire playing lead guitar in a country band backing up a hottie female singer. Audience went crazy for my leads, I don’t think I ever played better.

That was on a Saturday night. That Monday morning her manager called me up and fired me because they found a better lead player. Uh huh, sure, oh LA, don’t ever change. I used that amp in different bands for about a year but sold it when I left town, though I wish I hadn’t. It was too big, too heavy and too loud but what a sound! I just looked it up $650 on Reverb. That’s a lot of dough, it’s worth it, but what would I do with it now? Not exactly a bedroom amp. Someday maybe.

19. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

I 've had my share of Aer, Acoustic Image, Henriksen, Zt Lunchbox, Tech 21, Roland, Dv Mark, Boss, Fishman, .. to name a few, quite a lot of solid state amps through the years. Always going for a better or different sound, portability, utility.. Mostly for acoustics, nylons and jazz guitars.

They are great tools for a musician to have, but i 've realized they are always a compromise for me. Nothing holds a candle to a Princeton or Deluxe (to name a couple of portable tube amp favorite choices).

The Aer has seen lots of love, gigs and tours. A favorite of mine is the Zt Lunchbox also, for its unparalleled portability and ability to do any gig, any guitar (i don't play metal gigs :) ).

20. groovezilla79

groovezilla79 TDPRI Member

I’ve not owned too many SS amps. But the one I had that I regretted getting rid of was the Tech 21 Trademark 60.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.