Joe Pass
Barney Kessel
Wes Montgomery
Ed Bickert
Grant Green
Kenny Burrel
Jim Hall

The list is pretty much endless....
Most of these guys used Polytone amps. The Polytone's were noted for their warm, clean sounds! I don't know if Polytone is still in business, but 34 years ago I tried getting a job there.. I ended up at JBL Pro and then SWR..

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Most of these guys used Polytone amps. The Polytone's were noted for their warm, clean sounds! I don't know if Polytone is still in business, but 34 years ago I tried getting a job there.. I ended up at JBL Pro and then SWR..

Polytone went out of business when the owner died.

Henriksen carries the mantle of the "modern Polytone": https://www.henriksenamplifiers.com/

JRapp

Tele-Afflicted
LAB Series L7 with a 15" speaker

Uhhh, yes. I had one for many years. Sounded pretty good with single coils and pedal steel. You're saying this is a tube amp? As was the case with all the Lab Series amps, it most certainly is not.

Last edited:

hutchdoug

TDPRI Member
Uhhh, yes. I had one for many years. Sounded pretty good with single coils and pedal steel. You're saying this is a tube amp? As was the case with all the Lab Series amps, it most certainly is not.

No, I know this one is not a tube amp.

I posted earlier that I thought Norlin had made the LAB Series Amps in both SS and Tube, but someone corrected me. Next to the Tech 21, I thought the L7 came as close to a tube sound as any modern SS I have heard.

hutchdoug

TDPRI Member

I played my pedal steel through the L7-15 as well until I traded it for the Peavey Session 500.

JRapp

Tele-Afflicted
I played my pedal steel through the L7-15 as well until I traded it for the Peavey Session 500.

They also sound very good with an archtop for a nice legit jazz tone. I wish I still had it, but I left it at a rehearsal space and it was stolen.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I just got a used DV Mark Frank Gambale 120.
I’m impressed!
I haven’t gigged with it yet, but it does my “loud/clean” thing beautifully.
I’m not near it, but I’ll post a pic when I can.
Or not.
It’s just yer basic two-tone B&W thing.

bryanburnett

TDPRI Member
I have a hybrid amp that I love. It's a Peavey "Classic" series from I think '74. 6L6 power section, and a solid state preamp. 4x10 combo. Great rich clean sounds, nice reverb and trem. what's not to love?

srblue5

Tele-Holic
I will say that I'm finding my ZT Lunchbox to be very versatile. It can be very clean and loud, jazzy with the right guitar, but also a good pedal platform -- I can get some pretty raunchy blues/rock sounds too.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I loved my old JC-120 that I owned in the late 70s and early 80s. It was great for clean guitar, but where it really shined for me was with my Fender Rhodes 73 piano - instant Billy Joel sounds from that era.
Yeah, I agree. The Roland JCs are great for Rhodes pianos as well as guitar.
Rhodes 73.jpg
Roland JC-77.jpg

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I have a hybrid amp that I love. It's a Peavey "Classic" series from I think '74. 6L6 power section, and a solid state preamp. 4x10 combo. Great rich clean sounds, nice reverb and trem. what's not to love?

Is it maybe a Peavey " Vintage" amp and not a Classic?

Just asking as a guy who lived in the apartment just down from ours (in the '80's) had a similar 4X10 Tweed hybrid Peavey I thought was called a Vintage- but maybe I'm getting the name wrong, or 2 different amps?

Edit- looks like Peavey made both!

Last edited:

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
Dave Simpson shares his 3 favorite solid state amps.

Dave has lots of experience with solid state amps, his thoughts here are very informative,

bryanburnett

TDPRI Member
Is it maybe a Peavey " Vintage" amp and not a Classic?

Just asking as a guy who lived in the apartment just down from ours (in the '80's) had a similar 4X10 Tweed hybrid Peavey I thought was called a Vintage- but maybe I'm getting the name wrong, or 2 different amps?

Edit- looks like Peavey made both!

It's a Classic, but not the Classic 50 series which is all tube. and mine is black tolex, not tweed.

harpdog

Tele-Afflicted
Tone Master Deluxe Reverb Blonde just showed up...so far VERY nice.
Reserving further comment till after I gig with it this weekend.

ladewd

TDPRI Member
I played keys & doubled on guitar. For smaller gigs, I’d use the Lab series L5. It got me a decent guitar tone and was clean enough to play Rhodes through. I attempted to buy a Pathfinder 15, but the store was out & only had the 10w version w/o the reverb & a smaller speaker. I bought it & it actually sounded good.

My Line6 original Flextone was OK but it didn’t float my boat. Last year I bought a Kantana 100 with some GC gift cards my family gave me. I haven’t plugged into any of my amps, tube or solid state since getting it. I don’t gig anymore & it’s ideal for practicing.