Solid State amp you've known and loved,,, or hated,

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

I have a Mini Brute also a Henriksen Jazz amp and a Roland JC 55. All are jazz heaven!

Robert H. likes this.
  2. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have had digital amps for ages. Most recently a Mustang III and a Mustang I. Both have been great for the past 10 years. Recently took them both in as trade to GC for a Fender Mustang GTX 100. Loved it, the app is a great feature and the amp sounded better than my Mustang III. Unfortunately, the LCD screen on the amp went out after 2 days. I took it back and like GC always does, they gave me a hassle free return. I ordered another one and anxiously awaited its arrival at my home. Plugged it in and low and behold, within 20 minutes, another dead LCD screen. :( I called Fender and went through all the diagnostic steps to make sure I wasn't missing anything. They confirmed it was a hardware issue, just as the first one was.

20201013_184135466_iOS.jpg

I contacted GC, this time I decided I wasn't going to take another crap shot at the GTX. I decided to get what I really wanted, but couldn't afford, a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. I talked to the rep for a good 20 minutes and managed to get a $100 discount on the price for my troubles with the two GTX amps. Have had the DRTM for a couple of weeks now and I LOVE IT! Best purchase I have ever made.

20201024_031615814_iOS.jpg 20201024_031624855_iOS.jpg

This isn't meant to be a critique of the Mustang GTX as I have not heard of a lot of LCD failures. Both GC and Fender also said this has not been a common issue. I also did not find a lot of reports in my searching. Seems like I just wasn't meant to own a GTX or maybe I was meant to own the DRTM :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  3. Jaqt2411

Jaqt2411 TDPRI Member

I have had a few SS amps over the years but I too have to say I really love the Vox Pathfinder 15 and the 15R. I have had both. Love the sounds, looks and price. If you haven’t had one and are a Vox fan go get one, there still inexpensive and great fun.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  4. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

1. I bought a Pathfinder 15r last spring (around US$150 on Reverb) and like it a lot.

My question: what is the P15 of extension cabs? I.e., is there a value in cabs that's comparable to the P15 itself?​

2. How do people rate the Fender Champion 100? It's been mentioned here a couple of times, but we haven't heard much about it.

With That Which Shall Not Be Named, I have not been able to shop in person. I've watched all the videos I can, and it's liked by most of the reviewers on Sweetwater and GuitarCenter.com. But many of them don't have this group's years of experience. I just want something with big, open Fender cleans. I have a Mustang GT40, which is fine but small (a good thing, in the room where it is), and a Boss Nextone, which could probably be made to do what I want if only I knew how to make it. (Even so it wouldn't have those classic Fender looks. Or be a twin.)

Is a twin practical at low volumes? I don't have to worry about waking a baby; I just want to save my hearing for old age.​

5. DaveG

DaveG Tele-Meister

6. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

I far prefer Tube Amps, no doubt about it, BUT there have been many realy good to great SS amps made.

I think it can easily be said that the Roland JC120 was the finest SS Combo Amp ever made for sound, reliability and versatility. I wish I still had one.

I had a Gallien-Kruegger 200RB bass amp head for almost two decades to use for some Bass gigs at recording or production studio's where the musicians went right into the board for recordings. 100% reliable and the best bass tones from any Bass amp for studio or small venues. Sorry I sold that one too, you could carry it with two fingers.

Gallien-Kruegger 200RB bass amp head.jpg

The WORST! -
    I had a 1977 Marshall 30W 2199-Master Lead Combo, it was the most unreliable and mediocre sounding amp I have ever owned, and undoubtedly the biggest P O S Marshall ever made! I was constantly repairing it and replacing components to keep it running. After 5 years of that BS I sold it. The only "Like" it had was my GF's cat who loved the grill cloth as a scratching post ... loved to lay on top of it and reach down to this one corner and scratch at it. DumbassCat.

Marshall 2199 30W Master Lead front sml.jpg

I replaced that POS Marshall 30W 2199-Master Lead with this one, the only truely versitile Studio and Small/Medium venue combo that they made in recent decades - it has an internal effects loop and Fender style spring reverb tank. It's said the circuit is a clone of the 60's Fender Twin-reverb. My favorite Marshall - 1981 Marshall JCM800 Lead Series 50watt Combo 2x12 model 4212 Tube Amp. Marshall also made a 100w version.
    Marshall 81 JCM800 Lead Series 50watt Combo 2x12 4212 -1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  7. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Marshall Valvestate 30r.

The gain wasn't up to much (didn't even have an actual valve preamp in those lower-end Valvestates!) but the cleans were great and the spring reverb was really good quality.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  8. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

If You were to look at the back and it says -"711A Street Meridian, MS" - then count me in.:D:D

Frontier9 likes this.
  9. alesplin

alesplin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Back in high school I had a Peavey Audition Chorus I got at a pawn shop. It was a small twin (2x6” or 2x8”) with onboard drive and chorus.

I loved that little amp so much.

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

With respect to the Orange Crush
    OD channel, can you 'feather in' ( gradual taper) on the Gain control or is it really mean for hard rockin' even at minimal settings?
    I love the look, features, weight, price of this amp, but I'm more old school R&R and Blues. Thanks!

Great looking amp, maybe up the road...

11. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

Fenders gtx is junk. Sorry but i hope the next model amy by them is alot better and doesnt have lame wireless crap in it is 2-12 stereo and has a pc editor.

12. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Joe Pass
    Barney Kessel
    Wes Montgomery
    Ed Bickert
    Grant Green
    Kenny Burrel
    Jim Hall

The list is pretty much endless....

13. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Even though I had a streak of bad luck with the GTX, I would have to disagree. The ONLY issue I had with it was the hardware failure of the LCD. I was pleased with the tone of the models, the app and I had no issues at all with the wifi or bluetooth connectivity.

14. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

+1
    Agree , a vast majority of Pro jazzers use SS as you so correctly pointed out to the uninformed.

15. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I've had quite a few SS amps as I got rid of my tube amps around 1978 because of the impending tube shortage. Which didn't happen. I have had quite a few acceptable SS amps--Peavey Bandits come to mind, but only one outstanding SS amp--an Acoustic Image Ten2. I got it because I wanted a lightweight and powerful guitar and bass amp.

Granted due to speaker inefficiency it would struggle to keep up with a Twin Reverb but the Class D power amp puts out a warm and natural sound. It has no natural distortion but can sound very good with distortion pedals and modelers. And for bass my days of hauling bulky and heavy amps is over.

16. DaveG

DaveG Tele-Meister

Somebody mentioned Willie Nelson.
    AFAIK, he has been using the same Baldwin solid state amp + related pickup in Trigger since the beginning of time. pretty much like this one: https://reverb.com/item/31922608-baldwin-professional-c1-supersound-custom-2x12-combo-1960s

I still kick myself that I didn't buy a beater example at music store that was closing about 15 years ago. Would have needed a lot of work, but it was only $15.00. My wife would have killed me for bringing another boat anchor home though. I bought a Magnatone M4 instead - $10.00.

17. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

i wiss add to it-
    peter frampton
    robin trower
    gary clark jr
    bb king
    evh
    srv
    pete townsend
    kieth richards

now when you say solid state amp you also mean modeling amps i think?

18. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

I guess time will tell. I demo's the amp 3 times now in person for 2-3 hrs each time intending to buy it but walked out not. It was ok but still not there for me. I will await the next round of model amps from fender in 1-2 ys though as the tonemasters did impress me .

19. kippy74

kippy74 TDPRI Member

I like playing the Tele through it clean, no pedals just shy of dialing in any overdrive and trying to not let the gain creep up and it gives out the most awesome Blues tones. I believe there is a Lead 12 available without overdrive, they are meant to be just as impressive as the Lead 12, I think it's the Keyboard 12, exactly the same but for the overdrive facility which can soon be got around with the use of pedals. So if you see a Marshall Keyboard 12 and it's not to expensive I would invest in it, and if you get one cheap enough you will get your money back and a bit more so it is an investment to a small degree.

20. ToneM1

ToneM1 TDPRI Member

Back in the early `70's I had a hybrid Standel Amp. It was FET front end and tube output section. It was called the "Artist XII". Had a separate speaker cabinet with 2- Jensen 12's, slightly ported at the bottom. The head was(at that time) the best sounding clean I'd heard. I use to use it along with my brown Princeton. I would use the Standel for rhythm's and add in the Princeton for leads. They seemed to interact with each other when I'd add in the Princeton. Wish I still had it..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.