1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solid State amp you've known and loved,,, or hated,

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 17, 2020.

1. iowa

iowa Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I just picked up an Orange Cr60. I’m really enjoying it so far. I’ll try to post pics later.

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I know this is maybe not a Marshall thing, but it is a me thing-
    Do these little Marshall's have Reverb ?
    ( I like Reverb, not a ton, but some )

jjmmuir likes this.
  3. jjmmuir

jjmmuir TDPRI Member

The one I had didn’t...just gain, vol, treble, middle, bass.

4. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Let us know how it sounds at the gig!
    We must know, bet you can't wait.

5. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

There was a production of the Marshall 12 (no reverb) and the 12R with reverb.
    May be a stretch finding one but they do exist so keep your eyes open as I have been looking for a while, only seen one 12R for sale and was snapped up.
    I had the Lead 12 in 1989 an it was a killer little Marshall SS combo. That was when I didn't want to fire up my 1977 100 watt JMP head and cab in an apartment. I even got complaints from an elderly lady in the apartment above using my tiny Marshall SS Lead 12 & it was only on number one on the vol dial lol.
    Go one further and find the Lead 12 head and cab as they made those also.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Chiogtr4x likes this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'm on this mission it seems, to just get a stable of cool ( gig worthy) Vintage-style small amps.
    I don't care if SS or tubes, they just have to sound good and be affordable.

Playing quieter gigs and having great drummers, make this all possible, and just fun!

Treynor and Jazzerclean like this.
  7. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Agree,I think many many muso's are collecting small amps (grab and go as they say) they have so many cool advantages over bigger amps.

My days of heavy amps are long over, if its not light, portable and good sounding, I don't buy it, but so so many are and were gonna end up with 40+ small amps if we're not careful.
    I build pine cabinets with ply baffles now and transplant good sounding, small, low (ish) wattage SS amps and speakers into them. 57f93a68-6df3-44c2-8bb5-5ce6986cd74c.png

Edit.
    I bought three very different valve amps recently and sold all three as my SS small amps were better sounding, lighter and maintenance free.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    czech-one-2 and dswo like this.
  8. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Here we go, this guy played a festival with many bands playing, every guitarist except one used a SS amp. He goes into some of the reasons why and records the amps on stage sounds.
    He said that the only tube amp all day was a Hotrod III, All other amps on the day were SS.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  9. ironsausage58

ironsausage58 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Roland Blues Cube Studio

10. Wizweird

Wizweird TDPRI Member

Got the mini silver jubilee ss marshall. Run one cab and you can get some pretty cool sounds out of it. Blew out and cleaned the pots, and it really is bedroom chic

11. Chedmus

Chedmus TDPRI Member

I bought my Sessionette 75 1x12 in 1983 and still have it.
    Won't sell for the tea in China.
    Great Sound, Compact, Robust.

12. afireinside

afireinside TDPRI Member

Bought a Early 80s randall RG80 112SC for $40ish with the rare footswitch. Built like a tank, great reverb and Randall made it to sound like a SS 410 bassman when he left fender. Most tubey SS ive played

13. GoodAugust

GoodAugust TDPRI Member

I've got two Solid-state Fender Princeton 65 amps, type PR403.

When you fix the soldering issues, they are amazing. Chanel two with the gain just around 1-2, and the mids dialed in just right, it's fantastic. I never use the onboard reverb tanks though, even upgraded one to a mod tank, it's just not what I prefer for my reverb.

14. scotman

scotman TDPRI Member

Peavey LA400. Loud, powerful, heavy. Much better than my Bandit.
    Roland Cube 100. Orange. Used for awhile. Not a great tone.
    Fender CyberChamp. Still have one for a convenient instant-on practice amp.
    Currently using Quilter Micropro. Have 2, 12-HD, and an 8”. Also, an Aviator 2-10 extension cab. I’m almost 70 and very much appreciate the light weight and powerful sound.

The question was about non-tube amps, so I won’t list the many tube amps I’ve had.

15. timbgtr

timbgtr TDPRI Member

I have a Champion 40 with a Cannabis Rex speaker. I won’t say it beats a tube amp, but it’s great for the money and lbs.

16. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Roland Cube 40xl. Miss it, traded for a Vintage Sounds V15 (boutique Princeton Reverb).

9F9F4D2A-B232-4A77-BC15-5B88A6471856.png

Shango66 likes this.
  17. eric_telemaque

eric_telemaque TDPRI Member

This thread makes me realize that I had very few SS amps in my life.

I started with a Peavey Rage, but that stayed in my bedroom and I got a tube amp (by chance, I must say. It was the only loud enough amp at the local pawn shop then) the moment I got in a band seriously. It was allright for a beginner, I guess.

But I had a long spell with an Ibanez GX60. It did work really well! It had a parametric mid eq. I plugged straight in with the overdrive on, and that was it for years until a bandmate stepped on my cord and destroyed the input jack. I had to trash it when I tried to fix it. I was young and dumb.

But I hated my friend's Jazz Chorus 50 I played through in my grunge years. All I remember is that it didn't take my Boss ds1 at all. Really mushy and the cleans were all attack and no sustain. But I was comparing it to my Traynor YBA-1A, so that's not fair...

18. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

This. Exactly. Glad someone else feels the same way about it.

19. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

old evans sound creator did a good clean fender and for that a great amp.
    i have a Yamaha AR2500 with a very smooth overdrive distortion but clean not so much.
    peavey express 112 blue stripe. great amp, good fender clean and overdrive, though i don't like the supersat for high gain.
    and this week i found a crate G15R and i must say, i am surprised.
    not a peavey express, but what if i would use the peavey speaker ;-)

20. tbrain1959

tbrain1959 TDPRI Member

Echoing the Peavey mentions, I had a Peavey Reno around 1980 that was okay as an acoustic amp, although it turned out to be more popular as a pedal steel amp. 15" wide range speaker and a tweeter you could unhook for electric guitar. Very loud, no breakup. Peavey dependable. But it just didn't blow my skirt up, figuratively.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.