Solid State amp you've known and loved,,, or hated,

kippy74

TDPRI Member
Seems solid state amps never went away, they've integrated in ways with digital and tubes amps.

What are your thoughts on solid state in 2020?
Just bought a Marshall lead 12

16033778555697079317109408889206.jpg

czech-one-2

Friend of Leo's
Love my 'PEARL' Duo Reverb 1x12.
Pristine fender clean, 80 LOUD SS watts, nice tremolo and a weak spring reverb. [pedals for that]
I've got a Celestion Neo Copperback in there that cost me more than the amp!
msy3tMH.jpg

Also quite fond of my Musicman RD-50 head. [Solid state with 6l6 output]
NXEFE4T.jpg

And the last two years before the covid shut down this was my gigging amp. [I'm gonna have to do some weight training if I decide to bring the G-100II out again]

hDmjcjz.png

Love them all, haven't really hated any solid state amps.

Last edited:

gregulator450

Friend of Leo's
Yes, that may have been my thread. I have two PF15 r's, one is modded and my main PF15r. Believe it or not, I use that one for jazz as its its modded for more clean head room, a descreetly placed variable boost pot for the boost switch, a mid control pot both in the back of the amp under the chassis next to the output sockets.
Then i was given two 1x12" cabs and putting them through, you even get a huge amp sound (like night & day)

I thought about modding mine into a head and building a matching 2x12 cab for it, but it's so good just as it is that I kind of don't want to mess with it. A lot of guys don't like the boost, but I have found that using it subtly isn't too bad.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
I have a Peavy Bandit that’s decent. I took it to a gig once and the sound guy told me my tone was good, but a little harsh. It’s a decent amp, but it’s collecting dust in my basement now.

I recently had a Quilter Mach 2 head. I struggled with it for 2 years before selling it off. Nice amp, but super dark and bass-heavy. Overdriven tones were not great. Used it as a clean pedal platform. Don’t miss it one bit.

I still have a nice collection of tube amps, but for solid state I’m really enjoying the Two Notes CAB M with pedals direct.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Just bought a Marshall lead 12

View attachment 777570

Very cool! I think I'd love this!

I've become a bit of a 'small amp hoarder' or see myself headed in that direction

All my amps get used on gigs, as I do lower volume, smaller lounge/Brewpub or outdoor patio gigs - plus I can't carry heavy stuff anymore.
So shake things up with some variety, plus the cool looks!

Drew617

Tele-Holic
I've had a couple of 90s Princeton 112s that I thought were very good. One trick ponies for sure, but Fender cleans are the first thing I need out of any amplifier and that series did them well. I've got a THR5 that's fantastic for what it is, as far as I know the best desktop/micro amp available, and a very convenient form factor.

I owned a THR100HD for a hot minute because of the THR5 but found it had none of the same magic.

I've tried to love a couple Quilters but don't quite understand the hype. The form factor's really cool although I'm not sure more convenient than a combo, still have to lug a cab. Otherwise about the same deal as the Princetons above. Nice cleans, OK dirt via pedals, lousy amp distortion.

Amp threads always beg what are you playing? And what are you plugging in? I think just as much probably comes down to individual technique and fingers. Mine know how to make a Princeton sing, others' probably know what to do with something like a Quilter.

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
I love my Katana because of this,

It's ALL about the tones,

There is no better way to describe YOUR AMP than to post it's sound. We could talk amp till we're blue in the face but one listen and it all makes sense.
It's important to know this is how the amp sounds with me playing it, it's not about my playing skills, but if you like it, slipping a little money my way would be a nice gesture, lolol.

So here are some Katana 50 tones put to some tdpri backing track challenges.

Everything recorded with Zoom H4n Pro 4 track. But I used only 2 tracks. One for the BT (mono), and the second is the Katana. This means, no track editing, all done in one take,, that's why there's a garden of flams.

Flam = f%#k ups,,,

Clean recordings,

Mr Lonely
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/66y2

Lovers Dancing On Top Of Half Dome
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Eh7r

Rain's Coming
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/oasN

One gainier tone that I feel worked particularly well on this BT.

Father and Daughter is for Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna.
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/GjFc

Last edited:

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
bought a Fender Frontman 25R about 16, 17 years ago, never had one problem with, still good amp for certain venues and as a bench amp. No point in posting a picture - it's the plain old version in blackface cosmetics.

Instead, here's a piece of my wife's homemade apple pie, because that's really tasty.

apple pie.jpg

harpdog

Tele-Afflicted
A friend gave me a carpet covered possibly Soviet ss amp in the late 80’s or early 90’s....harsh spikey tone....glad to be rid of it

Jazzerclean

Tele-Meister
I thought about modding mine into a head and building a matching 2x12 cab for it, but it's so good just as it is that I kind of don't want to mess with it. A lot of guys don't like the boost, but I have found that using it subtly isn't too bad.
Yes, I am reluctant to take it out of its its cabinet too, and really I think for me there is no need because
The stock 8" speaker sounds great
It has an ext spk out for an ext cab
It looks so cool as it is.

I only modded one of mine because I was lucky enough to find a 2nd PF15r that will always stay stock standard &
I bought both PF15r's pretty cheap. Doing heaps of research of those who did mod their's, I knew if i modded one of mine it would be a good amp going to a great one (for me) playing clean jazz but I still love the stock sound too.
I created an old thread with the full list of mods inc variable level pot so I can preset the boost volume level, adding a mid range pot, increase trem intensity where I got instructions from TDPRI & the Gear page. I did many mods & i don't regret doing and its still going strong as is the stock one.
I agree with you, If I only had the one PF15r, I wouldn't touch it, as it is a good amp and they are becoming rare, collectible, and the prices have gone up. When they are advertised where i live, they last barely one day and now seen soldt between $200-$300 unless your very very lucky.

Last edited:

rcrecelius

Tele-Holic
I’ve been giggin Quilter stuff for the past few years. The best combination for me was to add an open back cab to my MicroPro Mach2 Combo(which is closed back 12”).
Still like the sound of a good tube amp, the Quilter is just easier for me to deal with on a regular basis.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Yes, I am reluctant to take it out of its its cabinet too, and really I think for me there is no need because
The stock 8" speaker sounds great
It has an ext spk out for an ext cab
It looks so cool as it is.

I only modded one of mine because I was lucky enough to find a 2nd PF15r that will always stay stock standard &
I bought both PF15r's pretty cheap. Doing heaps of research of those who did mod their's, I knew if i modded one of mine it would be a good amp going to a great one (for me) playing clean jazz but I still love the stock sound too.
I created an old thread with the full list of mods inc variable level pot so I can preset the boost volume level, adding a mid range pot, increase trem intensity where I got instructions from TDPRI & the Gear page. I did many mods & i don't regret doing and its still going strong as is the stock one.
I agree with you, If I only had the one PF15r, I wouldn't touch it, as it is a good amp and they are becoming rare, collectible, and the prices have gone up. When they are advertised where i live, they last barely one day and now seen soldt between $200-$300 unless your very very lucky.

Buddy of mine who did the work ( I'm not handy!) just sent me a photo of my old Cambridge 15 cab only, ( same as Pathfinder) now with a Celestion 10" .
IMG_0508.JPG

This will pair up as an ext. cab, for my Pathfinder, which actually has the blue Vox/Celestion 8" that was in the Cambridge 15! ( that amp died, so I pulled out chassis, kept cab and speaker)

The Celestion in there was actually in a Fender Frontman 25R that I bought in March- and I replaced it with an Emi Legend, and it sounds great.

* Things are coming together!

Jazzerclean

Tele-Meister
Buddy of mine who did the work ( I'm not handy!) just sent me a photo of my old Cambridge 15 cab only, ( same as Pathfinder) now with a Celestion 10" .
View attachment 777850

This will pair up as an ext. cab, for my Pathfinder, which actually has the blue Vox/Celestion 8" that was in the Cambridge 15! ( that amp died, so I pulled out chassis, kept cab and speaker)

The Celestion in there was actually in a Fender Frontman 25R that I bought in March- and I replaced it with an Emi Legend, and it sounds great.

* Things are coming together!
Now that is not only going to sound huge, but it also looks Killer too!
Yep, things are coming together for you with that, praise be the Pathy.
I want a full rundown of your mighty Pathy rig pls, let me know how it all sounds.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Now that is not only going to sound huge, but it also looks Killer too!
Yep, things are coming together for you with that, praise be the Pathy.
I want a full rundown of your mighty Pathy rig pls, let me know how it all sounds.

I am hoping to get cab back in time for 2 Wine gigs NEXT weekend. This weekend it's the Frontman.

Viejo

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
A friend of mine had a Peavey Decade we all called the Pevnis . I once offered him $20 if he would let me shoot it with a 12 gauge, he declined my generous offer

Last edited:

jjmmuir

TDPRI Member
For a super portable hybrid (it has a single tube in the preamp with a solid state power amp), the orange micro terror is a wonder — a great sounding little amp. Works great through the captor x:
IMG_0839.jpeg