1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solid State amp you've known and loved,,, or hated,

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 17, 2020.

1. kippy74

kippy74 TDPRI Member

Just bought a Marshall lead 12

16033778555697079317109408889206.jpg

Treynor, jjmmuir and Chiogtr4x like this.
  2. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Love my 'PEARL' Duo Reverb 1x12.
    Pristine fender clean, 80 LOUD SS watts, nice tremolo and a weak spring reverb. [pedals for that]
    I've got a Celestion Neo Copperback in there that cost me more than the amp!
    [​IMG]

Also quite fond of my Musicman RD-50 head. [Solid state with 6l6 output]
    [​IMG]

And the last two years before the covid shut down this was my gigging amp. [I'm gonna have to do some weight training if I decide to bring the G-100II out again]

[​IMG]

Love them all, haven't really hated any solid state amps.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Treynor and jjmmuir like this.
  3. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I thought about modding mine into a head and building a matching 2x12 cab for it, but it's so good just as it is that I kind of don't want to mess with it. A lot of guys don't like the boost, but I have found that using it subtly isn't too bad.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  4. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I am SO different than most of you, I prefer that Katana most, then the Roland Cube, the one Robben liked so much.

5. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I have a Peavy Bandit that’s decent. I took it to a gig once and the sound guy told me my tone was good, but a little harsh. It’s a decent amp, but it’s collecting dust in my basement now.

I recently had a Quilter Mach 2 head. I struggled with it for 2 years before selling it off. Nice amp, but super dark and bass-heavy. Overdriven tones were not great. Used it as a clean pedal platform. Don’t miss it one bit.

I still have a nice collection of tube amps, but for solid state I’m really enjoying the Two Notes CAB M with pedals direct.

jjmmuir and czech-one-2 like this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Very cool! I think I'd love this!

I've become a bit of a 'small amp hoarder' or see myself headed in that direction

All my amps get used on gigs, as I do lower volume, smaller lounge/Brewpub or outdoor patio gigs - plus I can't carry heavy stuff anymore.
    So shake things up with some variety, plus the cool looks!

7. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've had a couple of 90s Princeton 112s that I thought were very good. One trick ponies for sure, but Fender cleans are the first thing I need out of any amplifier and that series did them well. I've got a THR5 that's fantastic for what it is, as far as I know the best desktop/micro amp available, and a very convenient form factor.

I owned a THR100HD for a hot minute because of the THR5 but found it had none of the same magic.

I've tried to love a couple Quilters but don't quite understand the hype. The form factor's really cool although I'm not sure more convenient than a combo, still have to lug a cab. Otherwise about the same deal as the Princetons above. Nice cleans, OK dirt via pedals, lousy amp distortion.

Amp threads always beg what are you playing? And what are you plugging in? I think just as much probably comes down to individual technique and fingers. Mine know how to make a Princeton sing, others' probably know what to do with something like a Quilter.

The Angle likes this.
  8. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I love my Katana because of this,

It's ALL about the tones,

There is no better way to describe YOUR AMP than to post it's sound. We could talk amp till we're blue in the face but one listen and it all makes sense.
    It's important to know this is how the amp sounds with me playing it, it's not about my playing skills, but if you like it, slipping a little money my way would be a nice gesture, lolol.

So here are some Katana 50 tones put to some tdpri backing track challenges.

Everything recorded with Zoom H4n Pro 4 track. But I used only 2 tracks. One for the BT (mono), and the second is the Katana. This means, no track editing, all done in one take,, that's why there's a garden of flams.

Flam = f%#k ups,,,

Clean recordings,

Mr Lonely
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/66y2

Lovers Dancing On Top Of Half Dome
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Eh7r

Rain's Coming
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/oasN

One gainier tone that I feel worked particularly well on this BT.

Father and Daughter is for Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna.
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/GjFc

9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

bought a Fender Frontman 25R about 16, 17 years ago, never had one problem with, still good amp for certain venues and as a bench amp. No point in posting a picture - it's the plain old version in blackface cosmetics.

Instead, here's a piece of my wife's homemade apple pie, because that's really tasty.

apple pie.jpg

10. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

A friend gave me a carpet covered possibly Soviet ss amp in the late 80’s or early 90’s....harsh spikey tone....glad to be rid of it

11. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Yes, I am reluctant to take it out of its its cabinet too, and really I think for me there is no need because
    The stock 8" speaker sounds great
    It has an ext spk out for an ext cab
    It looks so cool as it is.

I only modded one of mine because I was lucky enough to find a 2nd PF15r that will always stay stock standard &
    I bought both PF15r's pretty cheap. Doing heaps of research of those who did mod their's, I knew if i modded one of mine it would be a good amp going to a great one (for me) playing clean jazz but I still love the stock sound too.
    I created an old thread with the full list of mods inc variable level pot so I can preset the boost volume level, adding a mid range pot, increase trem intensity where I got instructions from TDPRI & the Gear page. I did many mods & i don't regret doing and its still going strong as is the stock one.
    I agree with you, If I only had the one PF15r, I wouldn't touch it, as it is a good amp and they are becoming rare, collectible, and the prices have gone up. When they are advertised where i live, they last barely one day and now seen soldt between $200-$300 unless your very very lucky.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  12. Hapax87

Hapax87 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I had one of the Orange Crush 35 watt amps. Never should have sold it. Now I have a Roland Blues Cube that sounds pretty good.

13. rcrecelius

rcrecelius Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I’ve been giggin Quilter stuff for the past few years. The best combination for me was to add an open back cab to my MicroPro Mach2 Combo(which is closed back 12”).
    Still like the sound of a good tube amp, the Quilter is just easier for me to deal with on a regular basis.

14. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Roland Jazz Chorus 77 :meh: the stereo chorus was great, but it was very sterile otherwise (and, of course, the distortion sucked)

15. Chiogtr4x

Buddy of mine who did the work ( I'm not handy!) just sent me a photo of my old Cambridge 15 cab only, ( same as Pathfinder) now with a Celestion 10" .
    IMG_0508.JPG

This will pair up as an ext. cab, for my Pathfinder, which actually has the blue Vox/Celestion 8" that was in the Cambridge 15! ( that amp died, so I pulled out chassis, kept cab and speaker)

The Celestion in there was actually in a Fender Frontman 25R that I bought in March- and I replaced it with an Emi Legend, and it sounds great.

* Things are coming together!

Treynor and Jazzerclean like this.
  16. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Now that is not only going to sound huge, but it also looks Killer too!
    Yep, things are coming together for you with that, praise be the Pathy.
    I want a full rundown of your mighty Pathy rig pls, let me know how it all sounds.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  17. Chiogtr4x

I am hoping to get cab back in time for 2 Wine gigs NEXT weekend. This weekend it's the Frontman.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  18. jjmmuir

jjmmuir TDPRI Member

I had a Marshall Lead 20 in the 90s...an awesome amp. I’ve been looking for another. The Lead 12 should be cut from the same beautiful cloth!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  19. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A friend of mine had a Peavey Decade we all called the Pevnis . I once offered him $20 if he would let me shoot it with a 12 gauge, he declined my generous offer

20. jjmmuir

jjmmuir TDPRI Member

For a super portable hybrid (it has a single tube in the preamp with a solid state power amp), the orange micro terror is a wonder — a great sounding little amp. Works great through the captor x:
    IMG_0839.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.