1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solid State amp you've known and loved,,, or hated,

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Mgeek

Mgeek TDPRI Member

I just prefer transistor amps I think

I've got and had some nice valve stuff - 61 ampeg reverberocket, bunch of little champ type things, and they are very good at what they do, but I can use pretty much any transistor amp and get a sound I want - from super clean, flanged, dreamy stuff to nasty rasping fuzz, and that's not always the case with the valve stuff. Of course, I haven't owned every single amp... maybe if I had a Fender Twin or something I'd think differently

My current go to is a Yamaha RA50 rotary. Loads of fun

srblue5 and Rocky058 like this.
  2. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

Sears and Gibson SS amps in the 60's and 70's were pretty good. Tried the newer Fender SS amps, but tone was either harsh, not organic or just plain meh. Sorry SS users but tubes are for guitars

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I have never heard anything from Jose Feliciano that was not tasty, smooth, and great musicianship. ( and as a player and singer of " Thrill is Gone" too, always dig other versions, this one is great)

This SS Amps thread has been a fun one!

4. Ducksteino

Ducksteino TDPRI Member

I have an early 70’s Carvin SS w/ 2x12 altec lansings. It’s great, but really heavy. Clean, powerful loud if I ever need it. Takes pedals real well, tho the reverb and trem are busted.

5. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have had the amp since last Christmas and I am still finding cool sounds in it. It's definitely the biggest sounding 8" speaker I have ever heard! I saw a thread on here a couple months ago in which people talked about running it into a 1x12" extension cab and I really want to try it.

Jazzerclean and Chiogtr4x like this.
  6. Leo Paul

Leo Paul TDPRI Member

I am lovin' my just-acquired a VOX MV50AC. I'm running it through a homemade cabinet containing two Carvin 10-inch speakers, in conjunction with a Mosky reverb pedal. Killer tones, all. I have so far outdoor gigged with this setup three times. It is more than loud enough. If I could get back a SS amp I sold years ago, it would be my Kustom 150 and its 2 X 15 cabinet. Very nice, unique tone.

7. Chiogtr4x

I've had my Pathfinder for 8-9 years now ( definitely first heard about it here on TDPRI- folks just loved it!), bought used on CL for $80.
    I knew it would be a fun ( and cool looking!) home practice amp.

But within minutes of fooling around with the controls/listening, I knew that I would be able to do smaller room/house party band gigs ( not mic-ed) with my band, as I'm the only guitar, and we have great drummers, who can play quietly.

Fantastic amp!

8. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I absolutely love how many different tones I can get just by spinning knobs on this amp! It's pretty much a do-it-all amp for me! I have another amp for the modern metal outfit I play with, but if I wasn't playing with those dudes the Pathfinder would be the only amp I really need.

Jazzerclean and Chiogtr4x like this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Just a little Pathfinder BS:

With the exception of using the Tremolo controls ( which are gonna be either OFF, or both at 1:00 clock), and adjusting the overall amp Volume knob,

I may go the other way in how I use the Pathfinder- one setting that I pretty much leave alone.
    ( as I'm kind of generating both Volume and distortion amount from my Blues Driver, always ON)

I typically have ( clock settings) my Gain at 11:00, Volume at 2:00, Bass NOON, Treble 1:00, Reverb cranked, Boost OFF and with pedal ON just control clean/dirty from guitar Volume knob. ( where I set pedal Gain determines how much distortion I will get with Guitar volume knob all the way up)

My guitars' tones ( nothing very dirty) really come out, predictably with this amp+pedal combo, and I don't need to step on a pedal- just turn guitar up or down!

Jazzerclean and Rowdyman like this.
  10. bsc58

bsc58 TDPRI Member

11. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Two of my Pathfinders developed a hum and it was just a poor grounding connection to the chassis (green wire). Cleaned it off and hum was gone. Easy fix if that's what it is.

12. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

Interestingly, one of my favourite guitarists is David Brown, who played with Billy Joel from the late '70s to late '80s. I discovered him through Simon and Garfunkel's Concert in Central Park, where he played an astounding solo on "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover". On the video, it's hard to see backing amps (aside from Simon's JC-120) so for years, I just assumed it was a Fender tube amp.

Years later, I found concert videos of Billy Joel and his band from that era on YouTube and was surprised to see a backline of mostly JC-120s (including both Brown and the other guitarist, Russell Javors). So that tone from the S&G concert that I swore was a tube amp was more likely a JC-120.

I still love tube amps but SS amps are capable of awesome tones too. I like and use all of mine equally.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  13. VonRang

VonRang TDPRI Member

[​IMG] I am a tube amp man!......but the Hotone Britwind has brought me around to solid state's virtue. My Britwind is a lot less to haul around with my Peavey tweed 1 x 12 extension cabinet (Celestion V30).

I use a Zoom MS-50G Multistomp in the FX loop and it is everything I'll every need.

My only other addition to this easy to transport rig will be Frenzel tube preamp in front of the Hotone Britwind, just to see what it will do.

switcher likes this.
  14. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Tech21 Trademark 10
    Roland Tube Logic GC405 and 405X extension cabinet
    SWR Workingman 10 bass amp and extension cabinet - still looking for one, the QC was crap. They either worked or they died early. Those that still work must only show up in estate sales because nobody's selling theirs. sold all three of these amps in the great carload sale of '05 to Daddy's Junky Music.

15. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

Yet another vote for the venerable P15R.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  16. dlmorley

dlmorley TDPRI Member

I have a Session Rockette 20. It's a killer amp. Probably one of my favorites for great sound at a lower volume.
    [​IMG]

switcher and 63telemaster like this.
  17. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Yes, that may have been my thread. I have two PF15 r's, one is modded and my main PF15r. Believe it or not, I use that one for jazz as its its modded for more clean head room, a descreetly placed variable boost pot for the boost switch, a mid control pot both in the back of the amp under the chassis next to the output sockets.
    Then i was given two 1x12" cabs and putting them through, you even get a huge amp sound (like night & day)

18. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Solid State the last 20 years (Peavey Bandit, Echolette, HH)
    I also had tube amps but i always come back to the SS Amps.

My current SS is a Marshall:

$_57.JPG

Novak likes this.
  19. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

Marshall MG30FX. My go-to practice amp for wood-shedding and learning licks and tunes. Play mostly using earbuds. Wish they could be wireless!

20. Nick-O

Nick-O TDPRI Member

Ethos 30 watt amp....I've had two, just incredible tones.

[​IMG]

Treynor and switcher like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.