1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solid State amp you've known and loved,,, or hated,

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 17, 2020.

1. jaytee32

jaytee32 Tele-Meister

I loved my Randall Commander II. First amp I ever had. Basically a SS Twin Reverb. Black and orange, looked cool.

My brother has it now, he gigged with it a couple of years ago - an outdoor venue that needed a bit more power than his Blues Junior could provide. He said it was great!

czech-one-2 likes this.
  2. elportoman

elportoman TDPRI Member

Gallien Krueger 250RL for three years of non-stop work in the 80s, never gave me any trouble.

It was a stereo pair of 50W amplifiers, single channel super loud through a 4x12, and nice stereo chorus through a pair of 2x12s. The built-in digital distortion by itself was marginal, but combined with pedal overdrive it serviceable. Here's an example from the web:
    GK250RL.jpg

Maguchi likes this.
  3. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Nope; gotta have tubes for me; I had a modeler that I got from someone who owed me money & it just didn't make it. Yes; you can get good tones from them, but they don't have the touch sensitivity or dynamics of tubes.

"Steel players and jazzers favor SS technology..."

Dunno about jazzers, but steelers are now trending away from PVs & towards tubes in the form of vintage Fenders, as they sund particularly good with vintage Emmons & Sho-Bud steels; gives you that 60's steel sound. I still use a 1-15" PV Renown for outdoor gigs, but my indoor gigs use a PV Classic 30 or SFTR w/JBLs....great sound for steel & better for guitar.

Rowdyman and Maguchi like this.
  4. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

My favorites are Roland JC-120 (mine's a JC-77, not made anymore), Peavey Nashville 112, Randall RG-80, and Quilter Labs 101 Reverb. These are as good as most tube amps.
    20200914_162350.jpg 20201020_113812.jpg

5. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

I'm a big fan of the Roland JC-120. That amp is flat out fantastic. Great cleans. Takes pedals like a champ. And with the right drive pedal you can get great gain tones out of it, too.

lavrgs and Maguchi like this.
  6. castermike

castermike TDPRI Member

Yep me too. Had one for several years now. Much lighter than the AC15 I had before.

Rowdyman and havlma1 like this.
  7. castermike

castermike TDPRI Member

Don't forget the Blackstar Fly especially with the extension cabinet. They also do an acoustic version. I have both and really rate them.

8. bblooz

bblooz TDPRI Member

My favs are the analog Orange Crush amps. No maintenance, but sound a lot like a tube amp, even with pedals.

DOC DYA likes this.
  9. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My first amp was a Silvertone 1482 ( tube) but it wasn't "big" enough for me , so I bought a used Standel Super Artist 15 in 1969 . About 85 watts with 2 15s. It served me well in the first 2 working bands I was in . I ran my Esquire through an early plug-in LPB-1 booster and a Crown fuzz . It cut through the mix pretty well and had a great sound . You don't hear much about the Standel SS amps , but there were a number of them I ran across in the late 60s and into the '70s , more than one would think . They all really sounded good , not ice- picky bright like some SS amps were then . They sounded a lot better than any of the Fender SS amps from that era , those Fenders sucked !! Later on I bought a Peavey Standard 130 amp head to run my Fender Rhodes through , it was a guitar amp , but really wasn't a great amp for guitar , worked well enough for the piano though .

10. antiplano

antiplano TDPRI Member

The Acoustic 150 was a very good guitar (and bass) amp.
    I think that because of the way the power amp was designed, with a transformer coupling the output stage, it made the trasnsition from clean to crunchy in a very pleasing way.
    The heads are still around, somewhat easy to fix/refurbish if necessary, and inexpensive.

11. mandocaster12

mandocaster12 NEW MEMBER!

I have nice old Fenders that I love but keep grabbing my Tech 21 Trademark 60. [​IMG]

12. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Maybe post some audio examples???

13. Loaded Goat

Loaded Goat Tele-Meister

Behringer V-Tone GM110/Crate GX-65/Peavey Bandit 112

14. Eric Dalton

Eric Dalton TDPRI Member

I have a Roland Nextone, and a Boss Katana. Both sound stupendous, are flexible, and take pedals well. The last tube amp I had was a Fender Blues Deluxe. Sounded good but to my ears the sound varied so much from venue to venue. Sometimes even sounded terrible. Don't know if it was voltage? I have several.other SS offerings. Give me flexibility, half the weight, and an almost indistinguishable sound difference from a good SS amp any day.

15. deafoldman

deafoldman TDPRI Member

My Peavey bandit 65 and 75 satisfy any GAS for SS amps (unless maybe a Jazz Chorus).

Maguchi likes this.
  16. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

crate.jpg

I had this back about 95. I did away with my OD pedals cos this thing roared I kid you not.

When it croaked I took the Celetion G80 12 out of it and put it in an old cab I had and have been using that for every tube amp I've had since. Mostly cos the one's I get always have those cheesy Special Edition speakers.

I learned early on to get the head version if there is one. So far; 1 Superchamp X2, 1 Bassbreaker 007, 1 Epi Valve Jr (don't ask) and lastly, 1 Champion 40. I took the brains out and stuck them in my original Superchamp X2 head. Fit perfectly (voided the warranty but meh) :rolleyes:

17. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

These days I have a Katana 50.

But I did also have a couple of SS amps way back in the 70's, before I could afford Jim Marshall's offerings.

I had one of these for a while, and I kept this when I got my half-stack because it was 'almost' quiet enough for home use, and it had a headphone socket. got it for almost nothing because the 10" speaker was dead. Put a Celestion 50w in it...had an OK clean sound, as far as I remember, but I mostly ran a Tube Screamer into it.

upload_2020-10-21_9-53-17.png

And this monstrosity - weighed a metric ton and was LOUD - but only sounded any good with the TS into it. Didn't keep it long, it became part of the 'trade in' against my Plexi...best thing it ever did.

upload_2020-10-21_9-56-31.png

jamesronguitar likes this.
  18. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

Quilter Interblock 45. Play it through my PA at home and have gigged with it. Sounds very warm, actually prefer it to my tube amps.
    GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

rcrecelius likes this.
  19. Stax1

Stax1 Tele-Meister

I had a Trace Elliot Super Tramp back in the 90's - had a great clean tone and reverb, with a nice large tank, and a pair of UK Vintage 30's loaded. Dirty tones were reasonable. Was pretty heavy though...

Maguchi likes this.
  20. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Way to repurpose that thing and make it work. I have a Dean Markley K-20 chassis (MDF cabinet was falling apart) that makes a pretty decent bass preamp or low-volume bass head. I should build a head shell for it like you did.

I have had an Audition 20 since new and have gotten a ton of use out of it. But it took me awhile to find the tones I liked. I don’t care for its “saturation” tone, but if you put a compressor in front of it and set it for loud/clean/mids forward it can really sound good in a mix for a cutting rhythm tone. Step on a clean boost in front of it and it gets some interesting hair on it for solos. Doesn’t sound like a tube amp, but it’s a useful sound. The compression helps.

Jazzerclean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.