1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solid State amp you've known and loved,,, or hated,

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 17, 2020.

1. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Older Peavey Envoy/Bandit lines were solid performers. I was quite happy using any in that line. I jumped to a Mustang IIIv2 for the versatility and it was a nice sounding amp too once you got a model dialed in. My only problem was it complicated things too much.

2. JRush

JRush TDPRI Member

I had a couple that were noteworthy. The first was a Roland JC-50 (not 55). It was a Jazz Chorus but with a single 12" speaker and a line out for stereo operation. Running that into a Twin Reverb was a great sound.

Representative photo: [​IMG]

The second was actually better than noteworthy. The Tech 21 Trademark 60 is a fantastic gigging amp. It is a two-channel all-analog amp with boost and reverb that sounds great, is lightweight and also has a built-in Tech 21 Sansamp. Representative photo (lost a lot of pics when Photobucket flaked out):

[​IMG]

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For those who have used the Trademark 60, is there another amp you can compare it to in terms of live headroom and punch?

Separately, do you think the drive channel is as loud and punchy as the clean?

Thanks

4. brianbivens

brianbivens TDPRI Member

I’m a mixed bag too. For church I use a Headrush 108 with a Pod Go, so all digital. Before that it was a Fender SuperChamp XD which is an amalgamation of both, and at home I play on these plus a 15w Monoprice tube amp/Vox mini 3... I like them all for different reasons...

5. shawnoh4

shawnoh4 TDPRI Member

Had a number of the Fender Mustang line, totally impressive with great tone. They were chosen over boutique tube amps in a number of blind comparisons. Personally really prefer the hybrid amps, with a one tube preamp and solid state output. Orange micro terror, micro dark, and stamp are awesome. Tube swapping for best clean or distorted tone is a snap, because of the one tube setup. cost below $200.00. Vox VXT X series also hybrid is awesome.

I don't have experience with any newer solid state amps, but if you decide to get a bargain used amp some really great solid state amps I've had or tried over the years are:

Cube 30 (you can still find new or nearly new out there and they sound great)
    The COSM modelling is the amp modelling pioneering technology and is fantastic.
    https://reverb.com/p/roland-cube-30-2012?

Fender Mustangs from $100 up used, incredible tone and feature sets.

80's, these all have classic clean and chorus, the Markley and GK have great distortion to boot
    Roland JC
    Dean Markley 210 combo with chorus
    Gallien Krueger 250ML

The tone of those three solid state amps above, which were the dominant non-fender/marshall sounds of the '80s, are cycling back into style now. I highly doubt that their tone will be duplicated, no matter how sophisticated today's modelling circuitry is. I have spent the last 2 weeks tweaking the tone on my GK 250ML, and I assure you, the interdependent signal flow is pure voodoo and beyond duplication. You might be able to replicate the tone in a specific performance snapshot, but you'd have to either copy the circuit (impossible) or sample it too many times to be practical.

The sounds of the GK? Rush, Alex Lifeson, Pink Floyd Gilmour. I have a photo of the original 5150 studio with a couple of GKs right behind the door. I believe it was on a ton of records and backstage at a billion concerts. You'd just plug the lunchbox into the snake and let the sound man take it from there. Dialing up changes took about 1.5 seconds from the front panel. I modded mine the other day with (2) 8 ohm internal speakers, for a 16 ohm right channel load, and added an external jack for a 16 ohm left channel, which I use in the center of a two amp setup. So it's a fender amp Left, GK Left is in the center, and GK Right is on the right. Two additional 16 ohm loads from the GK are available. Heheh. Big sound, I'm jealous of myself...

Attached Files:

Maguchi, lupowitz and ChickenKiller like this.
  6. Late Comer

Late Comer Tele-Meister

Not really a gigging amp, but I LOVE my MicroCube at don't-wake-anyone volumes!

ChickenKiller likes this.
  7. shawnoh4

shawnoh4 TDPRI Member

The fender, vox, and Roland SS products are great!

The Angle likes this.
  8. BlueTele

BlueTele Tele-Meister

Everyone has their opinions - and their right to them - as to the pros or cons of "solid state." Ask yourself this question: What professional guitar player do you know of, whose tone is to die for, that you know uses a solid state amp? Answer (to best of my knowledge) = "0". Back in the Led Zeppelin II album days, Jimmy Page used two Rickenbacker amps that were solid state. By the time they toured again for Led Zeppelin III, Jimmy was using Marshall tube amps (EL34's). The warmth and tone of traditional tube amps can't be beat IMHO. You'll even get to a place where, say like me, you love 6v6, 6L6, and EL84 tone, but not EL34 tone. It is not so much the power tube as much as it is the circuit that is being driven by the particular tube. American tone: 6v6 (Fender Deluxe Reverb) or 6L6 (Fender Twin/Twin Reverb). British tone: EL84 (think Vox AC30) or EL34 (think Marshall).
    I have had two solid state amps in my life: 1) A Sears 1 x 15" bass amp when I was about 12 years old (circa 1967). I didn't know any better. I can still hear in my mind, the "pop" when I turned it on. Instant sound and volume...."bad" sound. Then I fell for the marketing hype of the Fender Sonic modeling series amp (can't remember the name...I tried to forget). The one where there were dozens of various amp tones. But just like a tube amp, I found the "one" tone that I liked - '59 Bassman - and kept it there all the time for the ~4 months I had the amp. I thought: why not just buy a Bassman...so I did...a Victoria 45410 (perfection). I personally like to keep it simple: 1-5 control knobs in my EQ, and just like you give nuance to how your fingers play the strings of your guitar, I like to dial-in the perfect tone nuance that I am looking for with my tube amp EQ. It is all preference. The challenge of asking questions in an environment like this, is after you get everyone's opinion and experiences, you'll make your own decision for what is best for "you." Trust your ears...if you like what you hear, then buy it and keep it. Good luck!

9. TwangBrain

TwangBrain Tele-Meister

I have a JC-55, a Polytone Brute II, and a Quilter Aviator. They're all good, but the Quilter is in a completely different league than almost every SS and hybrid amp I've used. I've had a couple of music man hybrids, a standel SS, and a jc120...and a couple of crate and peavey amps as a kid. Quilter is my personal preference. I will eventually get rid of all my amps except for a couple of my fave combos, the Quilter, and a few choice cabs, and just use a Helix modeler for most things. I mean, what's NOT nice about only having to schlep a guitar or two along with what essentially equates to a pedal board for all your shows/gigs and jam sessions!?!

10. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

I have a Pignose Hog 20. The speaker in it is garbage. I like the portability but soundwise it's awful.

11. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

I want to get a Yamaha 100 THR. Right now my main amp is a Marshall 100 watt head and it is a ***** to haul around.

12. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I have owned a couple of Peavey Bandits, one earlier model, didn't care for the sound running through the front end so I let it go.
    Bought another one, cheap, used the FX return as a slave; that worked very nicely, but I decided that I didn't need a slave so I sold it (at a modest profit) and bought a side cab.
    Always used tubes, otherwise, but am currently looking into a Fender Champion 40. I have a Super Champ XD, that I love, but it isn't really enough amp, most of the time and I have a friend who owns a Champion. It's light weight, sounds good and isn't expensive. I'm planning to sit down and a/b the two; I may have one soon.
    Oh, yeah, Danelectro Honeytone for a bedroom amp; sounds pleasantly trashy.

13. wawood

wawood TDPRI Member

I started playing in 1963. My first amp was Silvertone 1x12. Don't remember the model, but it had a large wooden handle arching over the top of the cabinet. I saved some money and bought a 64 Deluxe Reverb. I grew to hate it. I could not get a clean sound at high volume. In 74, I bought a Peavey Musician 400. Great sounding transistor amp. The 4x12 cab had 2 reflex chambers that allowed sound to reflect off the closed back without cancelling what came directly from the speakers. It was a 2 channel amp with options to play through either channel with separate EQ, or both in series or parallel. It had reverb, distortion, fuzz and tremelo. Great amp. Stil have it, but I'm too old to try to lift that cab.
    I had a Peavey Renown 400 combo. It was lost to a flooded basement.
    Ihad a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 4x10. The universal EQ settings were intolerable when changing channels.
    I had a Peavey Supreme (Transtube) full stack. Plenty of loud clean and dirt. Too heavy for me again. So I gave it to a teenage kid I know.
    I have a Band Master . Great Fender clean soun. Two Fender VM 2x12 cabs. Tube powe and pre-amps but with digital effects (reverb, delay and chorus. Cabs and are very light.
    After trying a lot of acoustic amps, I settled on the Fender Acoustasonic SFX. If I need a bigger sound (when no pa is available), I run through 2 Fishman 220 Solo tower amps.
    I have another tube head. It's a Fender Supersonic 100. I use it with a remaining 4x12 cab. If I need to use it outside of my home, I get help. Great clean and high gain sound.
    Newest amp is Boss Katana Artist. Great sound through the 12" Waza speaker. It's light. It's loud. It's clean. It's dirty. It can save 8 preset settings. It has over 40 Boss effects built in.
    Five out of seven of my amps are solid state.
    My guitars include 2 Fenders, 4 Gretsch, 4 Epiphone, 2 Gibson, 3 Martin, 1 Godin. But that's another topic.

14. aguynamedben

aguynamedben TDPRI Member

Roland JC-55. I had a Quilter, it was pretty good, but the JC-55 just had so much mojo. It’s the only one I miss (I have tube amps now).

15. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

I'm a tube guy...all ss amps,for me, were only good for ice cold tones like 80s "LA studio" clean with chorus/delay...like Landau's "magic chords" and crystal clean picked chords on 80s Pop albums....

16. artzeal

artzeal TDPRI Member

Yamaha in general, does it for me for non tube amps: The G-100 II, Yamaha DG-100, and the current THR amps I find musically satisfying.

Yamaha G-100 II - Fender Twin like warm clean tone, tighter low mids. Didn’t take pedals as well as a Twin: but really a satisfying amp for cleans and fantastic for pedal steel. The stock speakers sounded great. After a couple decades of regular use: the filter caps started humming like a beehive: but it was easy to simply de-solder and replace them: All part types and values are even printed on the PCB = user serviceable for guys of my generation. (IIRC, they were either built or assembled in Georgia.) I didn't like the G50 III nearly as much - could have been the speaker.

The THR-30 gets nearly daily use as its phenomenal for low volume practice with or without backing tracks, and I avoid headphones whenever I can. The THR-100D head is solid kit, too. These are both modeling amps, though, as is the DG-100: The DG series I liked best of modeling devices in the 90s.

Quilter Pro Block 200 - A modest range of satisfying clean to moderate OD tones with the nuance to dial in the EQ into my Celestion or Emminence driven cabinets. Its works best setting up one basic tone that I can work with the volume and tone knobs on the guitar. Not as dynamic in that way tube amps: but use pedals or MFX in the conventional way for elaborate distortion. Its also great with bass into a 2x10 with Celestial BN10 200 Neos. Works well with a modeler into the return.

Back in the day: The Fender London Reverb - IIRC, a Paul Rivera design from the early 80’s - super reliable amp: Shimmery Fender cleans, and the distortion channel did crunch well: taking advantage of the distortion characteristics of FET transistors. Not up to smooth leads on its own, but a fine amp for the era.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    timbraun and mexicanyella like this.
  17. premiumplus

premiumplus TDPRI Member

My first "good" amp was an Acoustic Controls Corp. 150 with matching 4x12 cab. I got it new in 1971 or 72.
    About 5 years ago I bought a nice clean used one that wasn't working and I went through it and brought it up to factory specs...and it's pretty amazing.
    This one sounds better than I remember my original one sounding, but I'm running an open back 2x12 cab with Celestion Greenbacks now. Than might have something to do with it.:)

mexicanyella likes this.
  18. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

In 1979, to help a guy out, I bought his SG (with the complicated flat hinged tremolo bar and the chevron shaped tailpiece cover) and an Ampeg SST amp that had six 10-inch speakers, all for $190. I was too dumb to learn how to keep the SG in tune. The amp must have weighed 150 pounds. So solid-state doesn’t necessarily mean lighter. I doubled my money two years later.

19. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I believe Les Paul used a Trademark 60 for some time

ale.istotle likes this.
  20. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Holic

I like plugging in music and playing along through my Micro Cube. Nice feature

tubelectron likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.