1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solid State amp you've known and loved,,, or hated,

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 17, 2020.

1. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Tele-Meister

I also have that little Pignose. It's a great little amp! You all should as least try one out...

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

This sounds like a great, portable all-purpose amp with its features and the (2) 8" speakers. Not too big/not too small!

I've said before, Fender really knows how to put their signature 'BF/SF Clean with Reverb' sound into their SS and Tube amp lines thru ( now) generations- for those of us whom love that sound.

I've been using a Fender Frontman 25R this Summer/Fall for gigs ( albeit now with an Emi Legend speaker), and I absolutely love it.

rockinstephen likes this.
  3. 545454

545454 TDPRI Member

I've been a big fan of Roland Cubes for years, and think I will always own at least one!
    However I picked up a Session Blues Baby 22 recently and it is a revelation - it's got the "fullness" of sound that I associate with valve amps, that no amount of volume or EQ-ing has quite reached in other SS amps. Highly recommend it for clean / breakup tones.

switcher and ChickenKiller like this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

If you have a link, a reference to that effect, I'd be very curious to read about this. While I had mine, I researched everywhere to get info on the LAB Series and I never came across a mention of a tube version.

http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/Amps/Lab/

Dr. Bill and JRapp like this.
  5. clem trout

clem trout TDPRI Member

Pearce GR-2 was a great amp.

6. sgierling

sgierling TDPRI Member

I play Helix into a Katana 50 when I need the amp in the room feel at home. I play a weekly jam with the same rig alongside Marshall, Vox and Peavey users. It holds it's own easily.

7. Lineville65

Lineville65 TDPRI Member

1969 my Tele into a SS Standel Artist. 100 watts. Clean no matter how high you cranked it. Love/hate relationship as it fried one of its infamous epoxy encased modules which led to the company’s demise. Dealer replaced it with next generation Standel which was a control head and as many SS 140 watt 2x15 cabs as you wished to stack. Distorted it with one of the early Fuzz Faces or a cranked Pignose. It went into the garage when things like career and family got in the way.

Started playing again and entered my tube phase via Mesa. After a few years and career related back and neck surgeries and retirement,I play through a Helix and Headrush wedge or my DR Tonemaster. I’m happy and still also use that 68 Tele.

8. bluesguy62

bluesguy62 TDPRI Member

Roland SS amps have been extremely popular here in Malaya since the '80s. My faves are the JC-120 and JC-160. Lots of clean power and tons of headroom. My current gigging amp is a Fender Champion 40. It's not a Twin,for sure; but it gets the job done :)

9. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

YES, this.
    So really, my 'thoughts on SS in 2020' are the stuck in the '80s. $100 on CL.

Also, my go-to for practice in my home, Pathfinder 15R. $50 on CL.

10. flatcat90

flatcat90 TDPRI Member

I'm surprised there's been very little mention of the Yamaha THR-10 amps. I love mine. It's in my suitcase right now. :) I have used it with a Tech21 Power Engine and it works GREAT. That's the amp that gets the most love from me lately, I use it daily, and it's been one of my favorite pieces of gear I've ever bought.

Except for my Peavey Delta Blues, it's all SS for me:

* Yamaha THR-10
    * Vox Pathfinder Reverb
    * Tech21 Trademark 60 (in storage, but boy do I miss it)
    * ZT Lunchbox with extension cab

On the bass side, I have a beat up original GK800RB head with which I did thousands of gigs since I bought it new in 1987. It needs a little love, though. Interestingly, I've used the ZT Lunchbox as a bass amp with a 2x10 cab, and it sounds fine. Kind-of a 200W bass setup in a pinch and super portable. Don't forget the trick with the mini cable in the back increasing the volume!

11. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Meister

The Boss Katana 50 is very impressive.

12. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Whatever works. I have three of the solid state Marshall combos that were part of the JCM800 Series back in the '80s, and previously had four. I currently have all-tube, solid state, hybrid, and digital.

[​IMG]

Spudly likes this.
  13. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

My modified Blackstar Fly 3 and my modified Peavey KB100.
    IMG_0400.JPG
    Replaced the 3 inc stock speaker for a more e efficient 3 inch 4 Ohm Neodymium speaker, added Schaller straplock buttons and installed a 1/4 inch phone plug jack for external speaker use.
    IMG_0111.JPG
    Removed the non-working piezo tweeter, resized the hole and added another hole to install a JBL Human voiced mid range speaker and a super tweeter with a 3 way crossover network. Sounds extremely good and loud for vocals, drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  14. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

Hi ASATKat, sorry- I don't.
    Beg, steal, borrow (or buy & flip) one, but give 'em a try. My band's a stripped down (no keys or horns) 4pc Classic Soul covers outfit- so a lot of rhythm work. Works just great for me set up on a stool with my Tele or Strat plugged straight in.

I liked it so much I bought a second to play around with an AB/Y switch for a little more presence and 'warmth'- plus I have the bonus of +1 redundancy for peace of mind.. and easy transport.

15. kirby02

kirby02 TDPRI Member

I have a Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt with one 12" speaker that I really like. This is a modeling amp and is time consuming to dial in the pre-sets but when they are stored they can be recalled at the touch of a button. I have clean and overdrive tones stored for my Stratocaster and Telecaster. I also have a setting that works well for my acoustic Takamine guitar and I have two settings for my pedal steel guitar. I have gigged with this amp for small to mid sized venues and it cuts through the mix really well and it only weighs 38 lbs. I have a 70's Fender Twin and a Peavey Valve King 212 tube amps that sound great but they are made for a younger picker to haul around.

16. Jimbodiddley

Jimbodiddley TDPRI Member

I've got a Vox Pathfinder 15R that is great for rehearsals - small, light, has reverb and tremolo.

Lately I've been seeing lots of great reviews of the Roland Blues Cube. People seem to say it's almost tube-like. Very intriguing.

17. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

In 1979 when I was a senior in high school, my first really guitar rig was...
    - Ashly SC-40 Instrument preamp (still have 2 of them)
    - Roland SPA-120 Stereo Power Amp
    - 1979 ProCo Rat (still have it, too)
    - Anvil 4-space rack case (still have this, too)
    - Which drove 2-1x12" Dave West "MILO Audio Technologies" cabinets w/ 1x12" Electro-Voice Pro Line EVM 12S speakers (Dave's company name after West Amplifiers (Grand Funk, etc) was no more). In Lansing, MI

Today, I have the Ashly SC-40, the Anvil rack, and have it running into a 1x15" freshly re-coned Electro-Voice Pro Line EVM 15L... today it looks like this... with a Crown XLS-1000 (700 watts bridged mono) and a Symetrix 501 compressor... works great for guitar or bass. Takes pedal extremely well.
    Resurrected from 1979.jpg

HATED/LOVED: >> Once upon a time I had a Polytone Mini-Brute II (now made for long-haul durability)

LOVED: Once upon a time I had an Evans JE-120 120 watt 1x12" combo. Very sweet clean tone. Advertised to NOT distort even on ten. Steel guitar guys love Evans amps, I played jazz with a Les Paul strung up with .012's... you could hear every overtone...
    https://www.evansamps.com/
    - a girl borrowed my Evans one night and returned it smoking and never even apologized...

Currently have a Roland Cube Street EX. Love this amp. 50 watts, 2x8", runs on 8xAA batteries, or a laptop-like power supply. Has a channel with a dual XLR+1/4" for vocals, then another channel with the same type of input but has Roland COSM technology. The chorus is to die for, the delay and all the other guitar settings except for the clean guitar setting sound like poop. Takes pedal extremely well. When I play out at a small place I do so with an electric guitar, loopers with backing tracks and such. This amp is a wedge shape and on one end has a speaker pole mount hole. Weighs 16lbs. One guitar, one small amp, mic, mic cable, boom stand, speaker stand, and I take up very little space in the corner some where but can make a pretty big sound. Maybe a small teeny pedalboard for the looper, the looper footswitch (the EHX 22500 looper...) and maybe a low gain overdive.

Its like having a P.A. and a guitar amp in one small 16lb case.
    https://www.samash.com/roland-cube-street-ex-battery-powered-50w-stereo-amplifier-rcubestex-p

Need more inputs (I'll share my idea)...

Behringer Xenyx QX1202USB Mixer - $168.99 (used to be $129.99)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...er-xenyx-qx1202usb-mixer-with-usb-and-effects

Why this mixer?
    - adds 4 more mic inputs (more singers)
    - adds 4 more stereo inputs (keyboards, bass, a secobd guitar, etc, etc)
    - Did I mention I measured it and it can be attached to the side of the Cube Street EX amp with Velcro?

------------------------------

Yes, I have tube amps, too...
    - 1990s Mesa/Boogie Subway Rocket Reverb
    - 2019 Orange Rocker 15 1x10" 15 watt tube combo
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rocker15--orange-rocker-15-15-watt-1x10-inch-tube-combo

Since I do pedals for tones I use solid state amps frequently. Its a dual-love solid state, tubes... anything that will produce sound for my electric guitar.

Weeeeeee

---------------------------

Edit:

ps. I almost forgot, I have 2 of the Blackstar Fly3 mini amps. They fit happily into a small backpack and I use them to go house-to-house giving guitar lessons. They sound great and have just enough volume to use in a guitar lesson.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Fly3--blackstar-fly-3-3-watt-1x3-inch-combo-amp

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  18. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Holic

A96C9DFE-837F-4074-8968-70A6C0D192E5.jpeg A96C9DFE-837F-4074-8968-70A6C0D192E5.jpeg 7D8739CA-47B7-46AA-972D-E1059DDAA28F.jpeg I swapped to a Roland Cube 60 several years ago because I kept getting Tube Chime and just got SICK of messing with it.

The 1st time I used it live I was sold on it. I bought the Roland cube 60 because of this forum and am greatly pleased.

My son in law recently gave/lended me a Mustang Amp iii .... I really really like this amp.

Ive seen several of you guys mentioning the ROLAND MICRO CUBE:

Here is mine modified with a 6” Fender Speaker, GREAT LITTLE AMP! A96C9DFE-837F-4074-8968-70A6C0D192E5.jpeg

19. Brad_1

Brad_1 TDPRI Member

Being an old codger,I started with tube amps and by the time solid state came around, I had stopped playing plugged in and went to acoustics only. Now that I only play at home,my interest in electric has returned. Second childhood I guess.I recently bought a Blackstar Fly3 and love it.So much sound in a small box.
    I do want some other options,so my next one will be another affordable Blackstar ID Core V2 10W. Loving these little SS amps.

20. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.