1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solid State amp you've known and loved,,, or hated,

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Karl Beach

Karl Beach TDPRI Member

Believing is hearing. This said, IMO tubes deliver sonic overtones better and SS kicks out the low end. I sometimes run both in parallel simultaneously. The best SS for my tastes? TECH 21 NYC hands down. Rock on!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Jim622 likes this.
  2. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Frontman 25R, then 65R.
    Still using Marshall MS2 (connected to a bigger speaker sounds AWESOME!) and EHX Magnum 44.

3. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

I had one of the first Line6 flextone amps with the floorboard. I played the heck out of it for 20yrs until one night it finally gave up. It really was a Great amp!
    I currently have a Boss Katana 100 with the GAFC footswitch and, it a really Great amp. Gives me all I want.

4. kevindsingleton

kevindsingleton TDPRI Member

I have and love my Mustang III. I only use a couple of the amp sims, and none of the effects, but it does a passable job driving a 12" speaker.

5. Blackshadowrider

Blackshadowrider TDPRI Member

Since this is a Tele forum; I have never really liked a Tele through a solid state amp. Started with a Fender Twin and explored using a Roland Jazz Chorus. I am not crazy about the Tele through the JC though I still use it at times, humbuckers sound better through the JC. I had sold my old Twin because it was just too heavy then went back to other fender Tube amps then returned to a Twin. I am not a distortion guy and prefer to let the amp produce natural overdrive where the small watt tube amps excel. For clean tone I still go to the Twin with a Tele.

6. Blackshadowrider

JRapp and Nahtabot like this.
  7. Fred-paris

Fred-paris TDPRI Member

I love my 2007 Marshall MG15 Zakk Wylde Micro Stack (upgraded with a Celestion an Eminence speakers): sounds cool and looks killer. Three years ago, I got an old Marshall Master Lead Combo (30w) that I find pretty decent for home practice and recordings.
    I recently played a Lab Series L9 in a shop and the sound was awesome with both a Strat and a Les Paul. Its weight however was another story...

DrBGood likes this.
  8. Blackshadowrider

I had tested out a Lab 5 in the late seventies as they were a popular amp at the time. I went to go buy it from the small local music store and it had sold. Store did not know when they would get another one, it was the 70's, you didn't just jump online and check inventory. I ended up with a Fender Super Twin they had on floor which was a little more money and had that for a long time. It was a beast of an amp and Ted Nugent used a wall of them at the time. It felt like it weighed a 100 pounds. It did have this odd distortion circuit that could deliver the Neil Young Crazy Horse sound. I sold this to buy a Roland JC solid state because that was the 80's amp. I still ended back with Fender Tube amps. Band member has a VOX I would love to try, AC-30 I believe.

9. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Those Tech21s have gotten MUCH love over the years... at the time, they were one of the only viable solid state amps.... I've never read a bad "review"

ale.istotle and Jim622 like this.
  10. titchy

titchy TDPRI Member

Still got my 1970s Marshall Master Lead Combo

11. bluegrass_brad

bluegrass_brad NEW MEMBER!

I really love pedals, so I wanted a really clean amp that sounds like what is going into it. After trying a few amps (Tube and SS) I settled on one you don't see around too much, the Fender Ultimate-Chorus. They made this one for only a couple of years (93-94) before they replaced it with the DSP version.

The 93-94 Ultimate is non-DSP. A Twin Reverbish form factor (but without weighing a ton), true stereo 130w output (has two 65w amps in it, one for each speaker) mono and true-true stereo effects send/returns. Standard Fender spring reverb. The built-in chorus is really great. The dirt channel sucks, but I don't use it so not an issue. Has that glassy, super-clean, Fender twang with lots of oomph thanks to the 2x12". It will run you out of the practice room with the volume above 4. No problem gigging and being heard over the drummer.

I got mine several years ago for like $175 off Craigslist. You can still find them cheap. If you see one, and you are looking for that clean Fender or Roland JC120 sound, grab it.

[​IMG]

dswo likes this.
  12. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My first amp was a Laney Linebacker 30watt bass amp I got when I was stationed in Germany in the late 80s. Worked great for what it was meant for (Bass at practice volumes) and did overdrive fairly nicely. It’s still down in the man cave, I use it occasionally to test things.

In the early 90s, I got a Marshall Combo (pretty sure it was a 5210) that sounded really good, but just couldn’t keep up with a band. I remember trying out a new DSL401 in a box store and thinking they really sounded very similar. I sold it twice to 2 different guys that left it in my band room and moved away. It eventually fell victim to my desire to build my own amp, and I dismantled it and built a 18watt LiteIIb in it’s chassis. Upon dismantling, I noticed it was rated for 50 watts @4ohms, but had an 8 ohm speaker in it and wondered if that was why it seemed so underpowered.

13. hutchdoug

hutchdoug TDPRI Member

Actually, Gibson (Norlin) manufactured the LAB Series amps in both SS and Tube. B.B. King and Clapton played the tube versions, not the SS. However, Ray Flacke, Nashville Session play and also lead guitarist in Ricky Skaggs' band back in the 80's played his Tele through a LAB Series L7 with a 15" speaker. I happened to have one and got rid of it (I still kick myself). It was heavier than hell, so it may as well have had tubes. The magnet on that 15" EV speaker probably weighed 25 or 30 lbs., but man it was a tone monster. The cool thing about the LAB amps was the limiter/compression settings. If you dialed that in with the onboard spring reverb, it could sing just like a tube amp!

14. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Tele-Meister

I've had a Peavey Studio Chorus amp since about 1988. It has a great chorus which I liked as I only played an acoustic at the time. The amp also features 2 8" speakers, a clean and a dirty channel, reverb, and a foot switch. It's a very versatile package that has served me well...

Seriously, I'm not sure that I can tell the difference between tubes and transistors. I'd love to hear a demo between the two with an AB switch demonstrated by someone who knew what he (or she) was doing...

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  15. 19Bentje48

19Bentje48 TDPRI Member

I am a Jazzer in Combo’s and BigBands. Over the past years i played several ss-amps:
    Sessionette 75: I wished I never sold it. Very portable, loud, versitile.
    Roland JC-90: good amp. No regrets.
    Fender Jazz-King: good sound, to bulky. No regrets.
    Roland 80xl: portable, loud, not for me.
    Session Blues Baby 45 HH: top amp, my most used amp. Very portable with Celestion Creamback Neo.
    Beside the Session I have 2 tube Amps. Fender Princeton Reverb II and a Marble Club Reverb.

Heimdall likes this.
  16. Ricoblues

Ricoblues TDPRI Member

Loved the Roland Jazzchorus 40.

17. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

hughes & kettner attax tour reverb.
    i did a ton of reggae gigs with that thing - loads of features, sounded great, built like a tank. if i ever needed a solid state amp again it would be my first choice, hands down.

18. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Tele-Meister

Another SS amp that I have comes to mind. It's a Roland Cube 60 Keyboard amp. It features 2 channels, reverb, a 12" speaker and a horn. I use it for my 6 string banjo and my lap steel.
    It also works well for acoustic guitar as it has a nice clean sound. Perhaps the best thing about it is that one channel can also serve for vocals if necessary. I picked it up for $60 at a swap meet - one of the best musical purchases I've ever made...

19. Bbjork

Bbjork TDPRI Member

BOSS Katana 100 and Peavey Nashville 112

20. Fred-paris

Fred-paris TDPRI Member

It actually weighed a 100 pounds ;-)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.