Solid State amp you've known and loved,,, or hated,

jamieorc

Tele-Holic
Absolutely love my Pritchard Gold Estoc. (Apparently, TDPRI's software won't let me upload the front of the amp right side up!)

53BB84D7-AD6C-486F-8C05-2AC28B1A9804.jpeg

Attachments

• B5381C13-3C4C-4CBC-828D-609FAC2581AC.jpeg
    B5381C13-3C4C-4CBC-828D-609FAC2581AC.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

sluglas

Tele-Meister
Late 70's I had a Yamaha JX40 solid state. Played it through most of the 80's.
Then Marshall 8100 valvestate.
Then a Peavey Prowler tube amp
Then Pro Jr tube amp
Then a Peavey Blues Classic ( a classic 50 with a 15" speaker)
Then a Roland Cube 80xl
Then a Vox Ad60VT
Then a Vox VT50
Then a Mustang III
Then Peavey Bandit Red-Stripe

Play mostly the Cube 80 and the Mustang
Started solid state went all tube
Now back to solid state

KATT

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
I got one of these for free recently. A Marshall Valvestate VS100R. I bought the head version and 2x12 cab when I was 14, so it was nice to try one of these amps out again after over 20 years.

I took it to rehearsal a few months back and my verdict was that it sounds pretty good. However, it doesn't cut through the mix like my usual valve amps seem to. I'm not sure if that's because it has a solid state power amp or not. I would happily use it at a gig though.

IMG_20200711_183545.jpg

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Good Stuff

My Hotone Purple Wind sounds very good indeed. As does my Harley Benton HB80-r. The Hotone is small, the HB is huge. I de-badged the HB as I despise their logo, and after a gig, I got collared by the one neck-beard you don't to get collared by. He insisted my Peavey sounded just like a valve amp. It doesn't. At full chat, it sounds broadly similar to an H|H. Ever been told your amp is a Peavey and you're incorrect, with added 'I think you'll find ...' when it most certainly isn't :)
I had a Behringer Vintager GM110with a 10" Jensen speaker. Claimed to be 30 Watts. Claim all you like. It sounded awesome!. It featured analogue modelling along the lines of the Tech 21 it was ripping off. The speaker emulation was passed to the built in D.I. and that made setting up a piece of cake. I was told that was a Fender by another drunken neck-beard with halitosis. Sadly, it proved not to be waterproof and went 'phut'

Must try harder

I had two Marshall MG100DFX models. They both died. The early ones, or at least the ones I had, had a small, CPU type fan cooling the output IC. It wasn't sufficient. If the fan overheated, in a delicious mix of irony, the output IC went 'phut'. The shop swapped the second one for an MG50DFX. It too died, which is when I bought the Behringer. Some very good sounds to be had from them, let down by a tendency to 'phut' when Spinal Tapped to the max.

Star for participating

MG15DFX Delivered with the effects board detached. It could never have been fitted properly, despite all the QC assurances. Not too bad for dinking around at home with, but turn it up and the Harpies think a sister is trapped nearby. Modified to allow it to run an external speaker, and it improved substantially. I passed it on to a Son of mine. He seems happy enough with it.

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
Analog SS - Pathfinder 15r, Peavey Envoy 110, Hotone Mojo Diamond, Tech 21 Trademark 10.

Digital - Fender Mustang II, Champion 40, Vox AD30VT, Vox VT40X, Roland Micro Cube.

I don't dislike tube amps by any means, but I enjoy a good SS or digital amp just as much as any tube amp.

galaxiex

Tele-Afflicted
My very first guitar amp... circa 1974...

A Sears Silvertone "Mini Stack".
This is what the head looked like...
Fond memories of this amp, along with the Silvertone guitar I picked out of the catalog.

001 Sears.jpg

Here's a pic of a similar amp, the Audition with it's 2X8 cab.
The Silvertone was nearly identical.

001 Auditionx.JPG

...and a Kingston version...

001 Kingston.JPG