Solid state amp suggestions

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by harm.on.x, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Jakerock

Jakerock TDPRI Member

I suggest Traynor TS series. (1970's)
    Cheap used, and good sound for solid state IMHO

2. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Blackstar ID60 or Orange Crush Pro 60 or 120

3. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

for the money...560 dollars for the amp and right now there is an ev 12l with a mesa thiele cabinet and a sledge hammer road case for 370 dollars.

I know it isn't cheap and some may consider boutique...

But if I had 920... and an amp with the same power as a deluxe reverb... but more clean headroom.... and can also double as a preamp.... and A lot of other things.....

I would get the Ethos Amp and the Mesa Cabinet with the Ev In it. 920 dollars.

and the EV will also make it sound Much louder than its rated 30 watts.

I was really surprised on how goot the demos sound.. and I knowits still on a crappy computer... but it does seem to have a really good sound.. and ive never recommended a solid state amp..

Ive had early 70's carvin, old Kustoms... I like the JBL's that sometimes came in them though.

and the amp only weighs than 3 pounds.

http://youtu.be/gInMvhxjNrk

To buy a new EV 12L would cost about as much as the whole mesa cabinet ect that is for sale.

you can also use the amp as pre amp only and use it as an overdrive with your tube amp.

4. Meshgearfox

Meshgearfox Tele-Meister

Not sure how much clean volume you need, but I think the Ehx .44 magnum amp has a rather nice clean tone. That plus a 1x12 cab would make for a very portable rig.

5. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

+1

6. mojo

mojo TDPRI Member

Based on your OP, you definitely want an older USA made Peavey, probably a Bandit. The older ones are more rugged/reliable, and the clean is a tad better IMHO. The distortion on the old ones sounds like a cheap distortion stompbox - not so good to my ear. The newer Transtube models have a pleasant, quite usable distortion channel - not great, but good. Overall, I tend to like the USA made Transtubes as a one box gig solution, but I like the older models if I'm using pedals. None have naturally what I would call a "warm" clean sound, but you can EQ it to sound nice. They also work great using a separate preamp or pedal (like the Ethos or a modeling preamp) directly into the preamp return jack.

7. hdan

hdan TDPRI Member

At the risk of "threadjacking" - I have an old Peavey Audition+ (20watt SS combo amp from the mid-80's) that is not, shall we say, the best sounding amp I've heard. But it's built like a tank, and maybe all it needs is some love.

Would it be worth it to upgrade the speaker to something that doesn't have nearly 30 years of dust and scorn caked on it, and taking some de-oxit to the controls? Can a new speaker really make that much difference? Do people think its even worth bothering trying to resuscitate old, cheap gear?

Or is it sometimes best to just let well enough alone. :)

8. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

This is your answer.

9. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

M80 fan here, but still I prefer AD series Voxes more, just don't use the effects, lots of people don't. . .the amp models are very good however. If you want real simplicity get a Peavey Express, 65W with a 12 inch speaker. you might find one in a pawn shop for less than a hundred bucks. . .

10. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

Peavey Bandit

11. harm.on.x

harm.on.x TDPRI Member

Ok, here is the latest update:
    I just found a Peavey Supreme Transtube Head. 100 W, made in the U.S. Two channels, FX loop and all kinds of stuff I don't really need. Seller wants $135 for it. (the head only, no cab)
    What do you think?

12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

It's worth a look and a tryout, for sure!

13. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

There are two main things that make an amp sound the way it does: the speaker and the amp itself. Changing a speaker can dramatically improve your combo.

14. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

It doesn't seem to fit with what you're after, but I'm sure it'll be a great amp. If you're on the fence about it, offer $100 for it and if they accept, might as well get it.

15. harm.on.x

harm.on.x TDPRI Member

I might do. I'm thinking about it.
    This is the situation:
    One of my gigs is playing with a singer/pianist. There is voice, piano, and some extra electronic sounds. These are backing tracks running along our live playing. Some times he's also using a drummer live but other times just a drum machine.
    For important and/or big gigs I always use my tube combo. For the less important or small gigs I don't wanna deal with a tube amp on a tiny stage. Plus I live in a big metropolitan area and get to most gigs using public transport and cabs. This is where the idea of a good sounding solid state amp that can take an overdrive, a tremolo and a delay becomes appealing.
    With a head only I would still need a cab though....

16. harm.on.x

harm.on.x TDPRI Member

...and the latest news:
    I just found a used Bandit for the same price. $135 and the guy is willing to negotiate the price a bit. It's one of the latest chinese models. He said it's two years old and in great shape

17. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

Get the Bandit! Taking public transportation, I would not want a large head and separate cab. Bandit.

18. harm.on.x

harm.on.x TDPRI Member

Yeah, I agree! I'm leaning towards the Bandit too. The supreme might be a better amp though? I don't know...I wish I did...
    Can they really be all that different if they are using the same core technology?

19. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

I have one of the newer Bandits. It's a great amp. Nice warm clean tones, and good usable dirt channel. And each of those has a switch that will give you three different takes on each channel. Great sounding, very versatile amp that takes pedals well.
    Check this out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf711n04wqg

20. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

I think the big noticeable difference would be the cab, but the Bandit will provide all that you need. Just go for it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.