Solid State Amp Advice Please..

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Texicaster, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

I tried a Quilter 101 Reverb with one of there 10" cabinets today...Just a bit on the big side but not sure I could shave much off of that size wise.

I really liked the tone! 101 was $299 and 10" speaker $225... with tax $568 out the door.....

Checked the Katana too but that was a size bigger...

Didn't find any other local options in that price range....

Hmmm.... I guess I don't have to pay my taxes NOW do I?......;D

T

2. markal

markal Tele-Holic

I’d get a Roland Blues Cube Hot. Less than 30 pounds, pretty small, and great clean and dirty tones across a wide range of volumes thanks to the master volume and power scaling. I see them used from GC and Musicgoround for $350 pretty regularly

3. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

I you like cleaner vs. muddier, Fender SS has that formula down. Probably more so than other SS
    amps. I had a Princeton Chorus and now have an Ultimate Chorus. Just great Fender tone. The OD
    is mediocre on the Ultimate, but can be solved with a pedal pretty easily. I agree, the Princeton
    Chorus is a terrific amp, tone-wise.

4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Not ONE mention of the Yamaha THR10C? Really?

OP, if you're not going to need a gig level of volume, you HAVE to consider the THR10 series. I have the THR10C. There are lots of good choices out there, people have already mentioned them. But the Yamaha series is NOT like the Blackstar Fly 3 or any of the other tiny little amps. It sounds good, like, really good, has a good range of sounds and built in effects - but they are all easy to access and there is no need to use a computer for anything. It is hands down the best practice amp I have ever played through. Use the Deluxe setting with the gain around 1 oclock, dial in a touch of echo or tremolo - wonderful tone.

DHart likes this.
  5. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Sorry!

7. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Thanks!

I couldn't get the Quilter tone out of my head and was able to make a trade for the bulk of the Quilter price so got a 101 Reverb and a 10" cabinet for $75 cash! I've had lots of amps that left no impression on me so the fact I kept obsessing about this one was a clue

A little deep but fits a spot like it was made for it in my Airstream although will travel in my Tundra!

Gets that same growl from my '58 Tele the Princeton does!

I wish I coulda tried more but I'm really on the road full time and not it a city very often especially with my storage I was able to raid for un used gear...

I REALLY like the Quilter! Played it outside and it has a very full rich atmosphere filling tone without being overly loud. I'm as pleased as I've ever been with an amp!

Thanks for those who mentioned it!

T

Mike Simpson and SolidSteak like this.
  8. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Great amps... it should serve you well.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  9. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The Quilter and the Mark DV are way ahead of the average SS combo amps on the market today. The difference is that the Quilter and Mark are concentrating on making a good amp with new technology and some of the others try to cover up their shortcomings with built in pedals and modeling effects.

Texicaster likes this.
  10. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

11. Keep on Truckin

Keep on Truckin TDPRI Member

12. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

If the '65 Princeton reissue is way too fragile, but a "solid state" amp of identical size and weight is not, I want to know what the definition of "fragile" is.

Should the amp be able to withstand being thrown four feet off the back of a truck? Because that's pretty much how UPS delivers those "too fragile" Princetons.

I say, get another Princeton. And a decent case. Doesn't have to be Anvil. You could probably even find something made by Samsonite.

13. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

It's tube but, to travel get a Laney Cub 10 or just use the clean channel on a SS Orange Crush 35 RT :cool:

14. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

Ive traveled with s soild state Princeton and a Orange micro terror as back up
    Both amps and power cords in the back of the Princeton

And they have been drop out of my Sprinter van and are still rocking

I use clean channel on both and run pedals so any SS fender with a decent speaker works for me
    Ive dragged a Champion 110 round to,,,tuff to kill them

15. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Not just fragile but bigger and heavier than I want to deal with. I don't have an overly large rig and space a premium. Princeton just an inch too big to fit most good spots.

I imagine tube amps do fine on the road with care but since it wouldn't fit in and convenient spots in my tow vehicle it'd be riding in my trailer and I understand a trailer going down the road is a constant 6.0 Richter scale earth quake and when you hit a dip... forget it! I did yesterday and all clothes off hangers and one cabinet opened to dump contents on floor.... It'd be a hassle securing and movign around and take the fun out of it..

Obviously a case increases size and weight...

Princeton stays home! Quilter on tour!

T

16. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

I have a Hughes and Kettner Triplex that is one of the best solid state amps I have ever owned. You can pick these things up for pretty cheap on the used market.

17. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Better ask them.
    Depends on exchange rates and shipping cost - and any US taxes etc. that might apply.

Here's the first currency converter that I came across: https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

18. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Here's a demo I did with my DVMark Evo 1:

SolidSteak likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.