Solid State Amp Advice Please..

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Texicaster, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Hi,

Play my '58 AVRI straight through a '65 Princeton RI issue and love the subtle growl!

I'm going on the road for an extended period and would like some advice on a smaller than the Princeton solid state amp that will handle road abuse. I don't gig or anything; maybe hook with some firends along the way.

Not so much interested in the minis like Blackstar Fly or Roland Cube... something a step above that can give me the Tele tones like the PRI

Want to keep price below $500 which should open up plenty of options. Could even spend a bit more if some killer option.

I'm from the "buy the best and cry once" school of thought and not looking for a bargain as much as tone!

Thanks!

Texacaster

2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

my new thing is..get a few in the range..use your main amp to set your must have tones that you already have. Keep what works. A/b everything..don't go off of memory & def set the tone you are used by directly using your main amp. nothing gets lost & no compromise..no amount of videos or internet opinions will work..real live use with the guitar you use the way you play. Don't be afraid to try a few to get desired result,

3. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Mustang Gt100 might be a good bet. Lightweight, gets some really nice tones, especially Fender ones. Just needs a bit of tweaking but then you're good to go.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  4. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Not sure if a bandit will get you exactly there, but assuming you're looking to try something in person:
    * hit up the marshall solid state amps and drop the mids. They're surprisingly good with their gain set on the edge of break up and the mids scooped (talking about the simple older ones - know nothing about newer ones) and sound good with pedals.
    * fender's princeton chorus and ultra chorus amps were always wonderful to me. I gigged with a princeton chorus when I was young and never used any pedals. It had a good clean channel and in an 80s way, a good middle of the road second gain channel. They aren't something you'd repair, but I see the ultra chorus (2x12 combo) for sale from time to time locally for $150 or so.

I'm sure there are a million others, but those two types are simple and cheap.

FenderGuy53 and Bruxist like this.
  5. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Try the Roland Blues Cube series. The big ones are big but the "Hot" models are more handy.

6. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Try the:

Boss Katana 50
    Roland Blues Cube Hot
    Boss Nextone 40
    Fender SCXD/X2

I've tried the Fender Champion 30 DSP, and it didn't work for me. Peavey Bandits and Studio Pro's are bigger and heavier than a PRRI.

7. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

A buddy of mine, that uses a Hot Rod Deluxe in full band, uses a Mustang 100 in his Duo with his wife. He has nothing but good comments on the Mustang. Loves it.

8. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

My recommendations in order from good/$$$ to not great/cheaper:

1) Quilter 101 Mini Reverb. This one you'd have to buy or make a cabinet for, but I was surprised at how close this guy got it to sound like a Princeton:

2) Tech 21 Trademark 10, or Trademark 30. 10" speaker, doesn't sound like your 65 Princeton but you can get plenty of good sounds out of it.

3) A Fender Frontman 25r might be a small enough, cheap enough clunker to take on the road. You can get a decent clean tone out of them, and the reverb is passable. And if it breaks you're only out $60-$100 or so (depending on how cheap you can find one for.) A Fender Sidekick Reverb 25r is even better if you can find one.

Rich724, intrentnet7 and Jimmy Dean like this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Cab sim capability in the Joyo

10. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Peavey has some nice solid state amps - I bought an Express for 80,- Euro, nice clean, acceptable crunch, loud enough for rehearsals and small clubs.

intrentnet7 and Telecastoff1 like this.
  11. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

I can vouch for the Deluxe 112+

Twang Deluxe and Tony474 like this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

interesting that, in order to come close to the Princeton, he was cranking the mids on the Quilter. What happened to scooped mids?

13. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I wonder if the quilters are too versatile (leading to more fidget time to find out where you feel like they're dialed in) - I have one (mini reverb) I'm about to turn over. I'll admit I haven't given it as much time as I should so far, but also don't want to have to change settings all the time. Interesting thing to try, and very small, but after fiddling with it a little bit and then playing a peavey classic head and a marshall reverb 12, the latter two seemed so much easier to dial in.

On the plus side, it'll probably cost about $10 to ship when I dump it, and I won't have the UPS guy bugging me about whether or not it's over 70 pounds.

tonyguitargoat likes this.
  14. albatros

albatros TDPRI Member

Peavey Bandit 112 transtube. Very close to my Princeton Reverb and even better.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  15. SolidSteak

I think it has something to do with the Mid control on the 101 Reverb being an active cut/boost. So when it's straight up, that's flat, not halfway up.

D_W_PGH likes this.
  16. SolidSteak

They are definitely not plug-and-play amps from my experience, with the exception of their older "Tri-Q" amps like the Tone Block 200 and 201.

D_W_PGH likes this.
  17. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

For nice subtle growl in a small solid state amp, I would probably start with a Blues Cube Hot.

18. SolidSteak

There is a used Blues Cube Hot at a store close to where I live that's $350... I kind of want to try it but I already have too many amps.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Too many amps? Too much fun? Too happy? Too much lovin'?

Sorry, I don't comprehend.

SolidSteak and Grateful Ape like this.
  20. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Peavey Special 130. Proven to be ultra-reliable and easy to get your own sound dialed in. These amps continue to be used and seen on stages all over the world by the most demanding pros who won't settle for less in a Solid State amp. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.