1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solid maple Stelly?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by highdive, Jul 11, 2015.

1. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

Yup. I bought this body years ago and just decided to fish it out of the bin for some fun. It's one piece maple and weighs 4.75 lbs unloaded.

[​IMG]

It came routed as shown except I did the trem route (first time) and rather boogered it up. Fixable though... I have a plan.

[​IMG]

I decided on a black stain. It looks really brown here, but is quite charcoal/silvery in the right light. I'll take good pics when all done.

[​IMG]

After a few coats of wipe-on poly and the bare minimum of sanding and polishing. Not really looking for a show piece here. I designed a pickguard for it but decided to scrap that for now in favor of a minimalist/steampunk/redneck approach.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pickups will be either GFS Liverpools or Goldfoils. 2 humbuckers, 5 way Megaswitch (PRS options), 1 vol, 1 tone 500K pots. Neck yet to be sourced. Probably Wilkinson vintage trem.

That's it for now. Back with updates after I get me some hardware!

2. caotico

caotico TDPRI Member

That's a nice looking body.

3. CnB77

CnB77 TDPRI Member

That sort of control-cavity-cover pick guard idea is pretty cool! And I like that you can see a reverse grain pattern with the dark stain.

4. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Nice finish! Where do you buy Stelly bodies like that?

5. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

Thanks. It's starting to grow on me.

Yeah, once I got a look at the grain with the stain on I wished it was a rear-routed body. It's not the greatest grain but not bad for maple. there's some inconsistent cross-grain figuring in there that I like.

The inset pickguard was a pain in the ass, but hey, it's different!

Thanks. This was an ebay body. Has to be three to four years old.
    Funny, I said Stelly in the thread title, which was what this body was meant to be, but it's going to end up neither a strat nor a tele, strictly speaking.

Sometimes a project, like a song, takes you in a direction you weren't looking. I like when that happens.

6. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

amen

+1 very cool look to this

7. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

Well I finally got back to this project, so I thought I'd share an update.

I went with GFS for the remaining parts I needed. Paddle headstock neck, Dream 180 pickups, Wilkinson import spaced trem, and their Gotoh knockoff locking tuners.

[​IMG]

Bottom line, the pickups and the trem are great, the tuners work fine but are fairly coarse in their ratio, and the neck needed (still needs) a lot of work. The headstock needs a final coat of finish after I decide on a logo (or not).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used a 5-way Megaswitch and so far the switching options are excellent. It does nice enough strat imitations in the two and four positions, but the outside coils in series (position 3) is not making me think "tele" as much as I'd hoped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to replace the tone pot as it seems to be doing almost nothing at all. I bought two linear taper 500k pots a while ago and decided to use them here. Volume works fine, tone pot I think might need an audio taper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

How did you recess the PG? A rabbeting bit?

Looks really nice and kinda industrial, I really like it.

9. Moldy Oldy

Moldy Oldy Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

This came out great. When I was looking at the in-progress pics at the top of the thread I didn't think I was going to like it, but boy was I wrong. The color is perfect and the details of the recessed pickguard and cover plates gives it a very refined look. Really nice work.

10. nontiveros86

nontiveros86 Tele-Meister

Really beautiful, I love the stain. I've found that even on my tele, the two singles in series don't really speak "tele," though it is an interesting and useful sound.

11. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Looks really cool.

I'm not familiar with megaswitches. What pickup options do you get with it? Are you using it to split the pickups in positions 2 and 4? Can you get the outside coils in parallel? That would be more Tele than series as you know.

12. Manny012

Manny012 Tele-Meister

Thats sexy

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I like this a lot!

14. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

That came out really well. Out of interest - are the sides opaque or finished just like the top and back? They look dark on my monitor, but there could be a number of reasons for that.

15. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

Thanks metecem. The stock routing left me enough room to glue mounting blocks inside the cavities and I trimmed those down just enough to have the pg sit flush. I think "industrial" is a great description of the look.

The plan is to, when I have time, to make a proper template for the guard so I can make a perfect fit. Then make duplicates with other pickup options so I can switch them out easily. Strat and tele options for sure.

16. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

With this switch the options are:
    1. Bridge humbucker
    2. Inner coils, parallel
    3. Outer coils, series
    4. Outer coils, parallel
    5. Neck humbucker

So I should have a tele-like sound in position 4 then. Not really hearing that yet but it reminds me that I haven't messed with the pickup and pole heights yet so I may need more tweaking.

17. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

The sides are finished same as the top and back. It's a little darker at the end grain but the sides look really nice. I just didnt get a good pic of that. Plus crappy camera.

18. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

That's pretty bad arse! I love the idea of switchable pick guards. Is there a plug and play type system or quick hook up wiring scheme for that?

19. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Wow! I am so glad I clicked on this thread; I'll be honest initially I expected to see another build resulting in a fairly traditional looking instrument, but I am pleasantly surprised to be wrong! The minimalist pickguard is just inspired! And the black stain compliments it perfectly!

20. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

I'll have a quick connect for the output jack and one for the string ground. Each guard will have it's own switch and pots. And different pickups, of course.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.