1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solid finish question

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by tklaavo, Sep 4, 2012.

1. tklaavo

tklaavo Tele-Holic

Hi,
    This is regarding my thread at Tele Home Depot, it should actually be posted here.. My question is at this post

Doing a solid colour finish and a clear on top. I repeat my question:

I'm going to spray clear on top and wet sand + polish. How perfect do you pro guys do the colour coat? My reasoning says that even if it's not totally perfect and glossy at all places, the clear coat will bring the gloss.

In other words - if I sand lightly on some imperfections on the colour coat surface, do I have to shoot more colour to get a nice evenly glossy surface, or can I just go on with the clear?

Or should I sand the whole thing matte first?

2. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would level the color coat so you don't have any texture in the layer where the color meets clear, which can sometimes show up as a wet shiny surface below the surface of the clear if you see what I mean.

3. tklaavo

tklaavo Tele-Holic

You mean wet sanding the whole thing to matte surface? It makes sense to me.

Todays pics were taken two minutes after spraying, and the surface got much smoother when the paint dried.
    I'll smoothen and shoot another coat, then wet sand and see if I need more paint. After that the clear coats. Sounds like a plan!

4. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

I'm building a black lacquer body and have leveled the black solid color. Will spray with clear lacquer to get the mirror finish I'm after.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.