Solid-Body Jazz Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by craigoslo, Jun 22, 2009.

1. SolidbdyJazzfan

SolidbdyJazzfan Tele-Holic

To be accurate, I'm a jazz "hobbyist" in that though I've played guitar since 1965, I used to read and have much more theory under my fingers when I was a teenager.

So, I'm wading back in, but need to get back into sight-reading and theory. I've downloaded a few lead sheets but also put together melodies, fills, and the like by ear.

Here's what I've been using mostly of late, since they're both in the corner of the bedroom my wife has graciously allowed me to stack with musical stuff:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made the body of "Mai Tai" from leftover Northern Ash from another guitar project. I'll be touching up the finish come spring. Those are GuitarHeads P90 style pickups. The neck is a cheap "Harmonia" from Ebay. Wilkinson tuners.

The amp is a late 1980s Fender Studio 85 I bought new from Ace Music on Santa Monica Blvd. I swapped in bit of an enhancement:

[​IMG]

The D120F was a very reasonably-priced purchase from Jammin' Jersey (they had a lot of old high-quality speakers the last time I checked their site). Reconed by L. A. Speaker Service. It's a very efficient and warm speaker.

2. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

Another semi-hollow and solid-body jazz player here.
    My main guitar for the last 3 years has been a Collings Soco deluxe semihollow

Recently I got a custom shop classic telecaster that I really like. I also own a couple of PRS'(one solid and one hollow), a Mcinturff, a G&L and a custom shop strat that I use for jazz. I had a couple of Ibanez hollowbodies but I sold them. I didn't feel like I could express myself they way I wanted on these. I like the feel and sustain of semi's and solid's better.

3. wemedge

wemedge TDPRI Member

For fingerstyle jazz I use a few 7-string Epiphone Les Pauls with flatwounds, and a Schecter C-7 plus with two Vintage Vibe 7-string P-90s (with roun-wounds).

Play these through an 80s solid-state Fender Frontman bass amp. I usually run my guitars through a Tech 21 Para-DI for to warm up the sound.

Planning to get an Agile 7-string tele to add to this.

I started using 7-string solidbodies because my archtop and case is too heavy to lug around. The guitar is light, but the fberglass case weighs a ton! For the archtop I use the La Bella 7-string tape-wound set.

4. JazzTwanger

JazzTwanger Tele-Meister

Posted this in the American Special owners thread as well. American Special with an SD Seth Lover in the neck and a five-way switch. The mod came about because I've been studying jazz and wanted a piece of the classic humbucker jazz tone -- I'm also a big Ed Bickert fan. Now I just need to find the right amp, probably something solid state. My Fender tube amps (Blues Jr and Blues Dlx) are just too glassy and harsh on the high end of the EQ spectrum, no matter how low I dial the treble.

[​IMG]

5. Stevie boy

Stevie boy TDPRI Member

For me 99% of my gigs are jazz. My two go to teles are a custom
    Dave Blackhurst Teleshark and a Wendler trad model. Both guitars
    are played through an Evans JE-200. I prefer the Wendler because
    of the Kent Armstrong floating PU and the 24 & 3/4 scale length &
    a 1 & 7/8 nut width.

Jazz is truth.....

6. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

For 6 string I have been using my Tele. For 7 string I really dig my Epiphone Les Paul Classic 7. The pickups on the Epiphone are pretty hot and I have to back off a little to get a warm jazz tone.

7. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

This looks great! I am sure you can get a lot of great sounds out of it.

8. JazzTwanger

JazzTwanger Tele-Meister

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the tone options. The 5-way is wired:

1- Neck
    2- Split Neck
    3- Neck+Bridge
    4- Split Neck+Bridge
    5- Bridge

Sometimes I miss having a standard tele neck pickup. The split humbucker is a little weak on the output, but still useable. Actually, the combination of split neck + bridge yields a pretty cool jazz tone.

I'm digging the music on your website and YouTube page by the way. Do you ever gig in the Boston area?

9. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

Hey I like the way you have wired that guitar, how does the neck+bridge sound? Thanks for checking out my youtube page! So far I haven't played in Boston, but I hope one day I can go up there and play.

10. JazzTwanger

JazzTwanger Tele-Meister

It's an interesting contrast between the neck+bridge and split neck+bridge positions. In the split neck+bridge, the bridge pickup (Texas Special) is hotter and so it sounds like the middle position of a stock tele, but a little twangier. On the full neck+bridge, the Seth Lover is hotter and so the bridge pickup adds a little more treble and cut to the neck sound -- it's hard to describe, but it almost splits the difference between series vs. parallel on a standard tele with a 4-way switch (if that makes any sense).

Also, probably worth noting that in order to wire it like this, I had to buy a special five-way switch (http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Switch-Oak-Grigsby-5-Way-Single-Wafer-2-Pole-P402C10.aspx).

11. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

Hi, thanks for the info. It does make sense. My new custom classic telecaster actually has a 4-switch, where the extra sound(position 2) seems to be a variation of the middle setting. It is a bit louder and works great as a solo boost.

12. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

I play this very non-jazz looking guitar and oddly, most of the students in the adult school/youth jazz orchestra have solid body guitars. The only thing I do is use a transistor amp like my teacher for a dry tone and use the neck pickup.

For rock, I tend to play middle and bridge positions and prefer a tube amp. I don't have to change out guitars, at least, and even though I have a semi-hollowbody which plays nicely, I am so used to my solidbody.

Attached Files:

13. abracadabra

abracadabra Tele-Meister

I generally use my hollowbody Ibanez, but I just got an American Special tele a month ago and it's great for jazz, even stock! I'm using the pups that came with it: Tex Specs, and with the vol rolled off a tiny bit and the tone a lot it gets a great jazz tone. no plans to mod it even. :)

14. iguazux

iguazux Tele-Meister

So, there is at least three guys who played jazz with a jazzmaster, if you count Joe Pass on "Sound of Synanon".

15. joaopazguitar

joaopazguitar Tele-Holic

hi guys, this is going to be my 100th post - cool that's on this thread! great idea, and very informative stuff going on in here!

So here's my entry to the club :cool:

I'm an aspiring jazz guitarist - been studying online since August 2009 (Jimmy Bruno, Andreas Oberg, TrueFire) after a 15 year period away from the guitar. Before that it was all things pop/rock.

my guitars for jazz are:

1989 Washburn J5 (L5 type, full hollow body)

200 Epiphone Dot Studio (335 type, semi-hollow)

2011 Fender Telecaster Modern Player Plus (Telecaster type :D solidbody)

http://soundcloud.com/joaopazguitar/white-tele-christmas

While I love the tone of all my guitars, in time I'm finding myself going more and more to the solidbody side ... since I got my tele about a month ago I haven't played anything else since. And before that the Epi was already taking the big chunk of my playing.

Strings:

In all three guitars I'm using D'Addario flatwounds. 0.013s on the Washburn, 0.12s on the Epiphone and 0.011s on the Telecaster. I'm using the D'Addario brand mainly because that's what I can find in my local stores but a lot of guys in jazz swear by the Thomastik flatwounds.

Personally, a set of flatwounds are essential. I love the feeling, the noise-free glissandos, the smooth sound. Also, I'm finding that below 0.011s I can't get the tone I want but also the response from string... I need to feel it heavy under my pick, so I can pick lighter - which is a big part of my tone. But also the heavier strings allow for strong reststrokes which I like sometimes.

The flatwounds are working great in my Tele, I think. I get the jazz tone and I don't loose the Tele character - the Telecaster, by the way, I bought after my teacher Andreas Oberg saying they made great jazz axes :D

Amps:

On the two videos above I am not using an amp - more on that later.
    On the Telecaster soundclip I'm using my Roland Cube 30 (bought online by 90€!) mic'd with a Sony microphone into a Sony minidisk recorder.
    I love the Roland - it's light, very quiet, and is perfect for home playing. Mainly I'm using it with the Telecaster, almost EQ flat... I cut a bit of treble and add a bit of low and mid range, and I also use it for delay or reverb. I wish I could use BOTH delay and reverb with it!

I also have a great Dean Markley DMC80 stereo chorus amp that I bought in the late 80s along with my Washburn. It was a great tone, too, but weights about 20 kilos! and I don't feel like carrying that weight around anymore :eek:

Effects:

As I said I'm using the Roland's built in delay/reverb. A bit of EQ and only the clean and acoustic channels.
    But for some recordings, like the YouTube videos above I'm using my old and trusty Alesis Quadraverb GT (another piece from the late 80s). Guitar straight into the unit and straight into the mixing console. On the Alesis I'm using the delay AND reverb, and just the amp/cabinet simulation section. Maybe some mid range EQ boost, too, gotta check that later.

Solidbodies and the Telecaster:

The first thing that called my attention for solidbody guitars in jazz was the wonderful tone of Ulf Wakenius, once a member of the great Oscar Peterson band - and he just plays and old Aria guitar, a copy of a Les Paul! His tone is one of the most wonderful jazz tones to me!

check his solo on this video at 1:43

check this also!

well, that got me into solidbodies jazz :cool: (and I still need a LP inexpensive copy ;-)

The Telecaster is being a great experience!
    What I'm finding is that it requires a greater tone control from my playing than my other guitars. Control from my picking hand, I mean. I can add a bit of "twang" anytime just by playing heavier.
    Also, while on my other guitars I'm playing almost always in the neck position pickup, with the Tele I'm using more the neck/middle pickup (hum cancelling) configuration. The neck position alone can sound jazzy too, but I find the neck/mid setting to have more "character".

What everyone mentioned above I find it too. The guitar's volume control can play a big role on tone choices on the Telecaster. It's not the tone knob alone. On my other guitars I tend to play with volume at 10 and tone at 4 (on a 1 to 10 scale) while on the Tele I may be on a volume 8 and tone 4-to-6 setting.

Also, playing close to the neck can do a lot for your jazzy tone, but on the Telecaster, again, I find myself playing more in between the neck an middle pickups.

well, this post is going too long already! If you read it through here, thank you very much! :cool:

Happy Jazzin' to all!
    Joao

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.