1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solid-Body Jazz Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by craigoslo, Jun 22, 2009.

1. craigoslo

craigoslo Tele-Meister

What about strings? I have flatwounds on my archtop, but have started using burnished nickel strings on my tele. I haven't made my mind up on then yet. I'm not sure about the twang factor because it's a new guitar and I haven't used anyother strings on it, but the nickel strings feel great (not as high tension as other 10's).

2. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

flats on everything for me. other's perception of my "twang" doesn't concern me much, but i think my guitars can still do a good duane eddy twang.

3. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

i use D'Addario XL-110s....flats might be a bit more "jazz correct", but they're nowhere near as versatile as round-wounds tonally speaking....

4. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

While I have used both of my Les Pauls for big band jazz, I prefer to use a real jazzbox. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. craigoslo

craigoslo Tele-Meister

An ibanez archtop over a gibson (semi) hollow body? Are Ibanez guitars really that good?

6. Joe-Bob

Well, that does need some explanation, doesn't it. ;)

First of all, the ES-335 is a vintage one in a rare color. Second of all most jazz horn players are elderly with poor eyesight and even poorer sense of what they are bumping into. When break time comes, nothing will stop them from the rush to get a cookie before they are all gone.

Last thing I need is for one of them to knock my guitar off its stand and break the neck.

So.....

I bought the Ibanez for something to kick around with. It's an Artstar AF220. It is NOT one of those crappy Artcore guitars, it is a high-end Japanese made model with Super 58 pickups and faux tortoise shell binding. As it turns out, they are even rarer than vintage 335s.

That's why I use the Ibanez for jazz.

7. jazztele

and joebob, lets face it, as cool as that that 335 is, there's just stuff that ibanez can do that it can't.

not better, just different.

i'm a hardcore tele jazz man, but when i sit in with the local big band, i bring an epiphone emperor regent. even amplified, a full hollow body has a different timbre to it's sound, and sometimes, that's what ya want.

8. Joe-Bob

Actually, the 335 gets excellent jazz tones on roundwounds, flats would be even better...and yes, the Ibanez wears flats.

9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Back to the topic of solid-body jazz, particularly a Tele...

I too use D'Addario XL-110s. If I relegated my solid-body mahogany to strictly playing jazz, I might try flats on it. But since jazz does not represent the bulk of what I do, I go with what the XL110s.

10. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I've been thinking more lately about the pick (plectrum) aspect of jazz playing. I have already mentioned that my standard pick for many years has been the Fender celluloid tortoise shell medium (the classic "351" shape), but I've been using a thinner pick lately for jazz. What about the rest of you? What size, gauge and shape of pick do you use for jazz?

11. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Like play baseball!

12. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

I use the 351 style pick as you do. When I was a lot younger and had aspirations about playing jazz (while playing in a horn-based rock band), I used a jazz pick for a couple of years. In retrospect it was a dumb idea. I get everything I need from the 351 style celluloid pick.

13. craigoslo

craigoslo Tele-Meister

Gibson pure XH standard shape pick. I can't get along with a thin pick, but I don't like the super thick ones either. I like to just barely be able to flex a pick between my fingers and thumb. Almost no flex, but juuuuuuust a little.

14. jazztele

i like the dunlop jazztones...really hooked on the 204's right now (i think that's the one, the blunt edged little guy...all the ones i have in the house have the logo worn off, but it's 204 or 205--one of 'em's blunt, one's pointed)

i like a smaller, very heavy, rounder edged pick for jazz. i do not want to hear any audible "click" when i hit the strings, and when i comp pick and fingers style, i want the pick to sound as much like my thumb as possible. the jazztones get me there.

i give ya big ups for being able to play with a thin pick--you know the joke about how to shut up a guitarist? change the punchline from "put sheet music in front of him" to "give him a thin pick" for me. i just play TERRIBLE with 'em!

15. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

Totally!

And when your touring the 'amp du jour' can be your undoing too, which is why i have another tele with a mini humbucker in the neck. I use two amps - a little Boogie .22 for smaller club gigs (Ive got 2 of them) and a Rivera R100 for the louder ones, but on the road it can be anything - Ive even had to pull a tone from a Marshall quad box for a jazz concert.
    Im using Elixir 10's to 46 but with an 11 on E1.

As for the sound - if youre interested there's a couple of live recordings here

www.myspace.com/geoffh2 entitled Hughes,Robertson,Browne

I originally posted an itunes ref. but thats probably not kosher...

Little Black Jazz III's - but also the bigger purple 2mms as well. Cant go the thinner ones yet - they feel a bit 'toyish' - great for chomping though.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  16. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

dunc '59 neck, lawrence l290 bridge, tro-w neck, gfs p-wood body, 5lbs 7ozs

[​IMG]

oh yeah, no strap buttons - not needed for jazzers. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  17. TeamShakenBake

TeamShakenBake TDPRI Member

Semi hollow tele and your golden

Attached Files:

18. amhabz

amhabz TDPRI Member

Not the only one, I use a MIM jazzmaster for about everything. 40 years ago used a Mosrite and have been searching for that tone when I picked up a guitar again. The Jazzmaster hit it spot on to my ears. Use lead circuit, tone and volume down, on a Gdec Jr on non overdrive british setting mostly, but will use jazz setting or acoustic setting on occation. a bit of gain, tone rolled off and some reverb or chorus depending on song. Only use a pick when playing Venture type music for fun.

19. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I love to play Jazz

I'm in on playing jazz on the tele. On my Baja Tele I have a 4-way switch, which in the 4th position it has a dual pickup Series connection which is humbuckerish in sound. I would recommend a 4-way switch for all telecasters, because the series setting really gives it a jazzbox sound. Does anyone else feel this way?

Also it has a S1 switch and the twisted tele neck pickup, which by itself is pretty jazzy in sound. I have not really used the S1 switch much, but it does increase the complexity in the guitar's sound. The 4th position, with the S1 on, is an out of phase sound, much akin to Peter Green's sound on the original 'Black Magic Woman' by Fleetwood Mac.

In the 3rd and 1st positions the neck and bridge pickups are selected(isolated), and the S1 switch doesn't work. But in the second position, the dual pickups are in series, and S1 down gives you an out of phase sound. To me both sound like a Stratocaster.

[​IMG]

The Baja is the most versatile Telecaster, and guitar I own. But if I really want to nail the jazzbox sound I have a Gibson ES-347 with high output Series 7(Dirty Fingers) that really do a very creditable job for that sound. This one always nails the Larry Carlton/Lee Ritenour sound. For me contemporary jazz or smooth jazz & fusion was made for my Strat Ultra with Lace Sensors; the blue in the neck is a to die for sound.:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I play them all depending on the music I'll play. But I'd rather use the Telecaster for the clarity of the sound. It's a no-brainer. When you play gospel in church, I believe it encompasses all forms of music. with the Tele I can go from shimmery blues/ R&B sound to the jazzbox, and back to contemporary jazz sounds, with some help from my Digitech 300 pedal modeling various amp sounds, and two old Fender amps, Princeton Reverb and a special GC Fender SS amp called a Stage Lead, played in stereo thru the pedal.

20. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

Ooh, Jazz Club! Here's my "07 CS ES-175. What's happening fellow jazzers?:cool:

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.