1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solid-Body Jazz Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by craigoslo, Jun 22, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, Paul, nice tone, tasty licks.

2. craigoslo

craigoslo Tele-Meister

That cd is great, but my fave Bickert cd is "Mike Murley/Steve Wallace/Ed Bickert Trio".

3. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

well, hecky naw, how did i miss this club!? i'm practically friggin' cy sperling!

i'm a definite tele jazzer...while i teach all styles, 99% of my gigging is jazz, and 99% of the time i'm taking a tele, specifically my "once an american standard" tele...i've posted about this guitar numerous times, so i won't bore you with the mods i've done...

there's a couple of keys to tele jazz tone, IMHO. a humbucker is not needed (heck, it's rumored "pure desmond" features ed on a pre modded tele...who's gonna knock that tone?)

the amp is crucial. some amps inherently have too much high end and/or bass, and not the midrange of a classic jazz tone. i used a roland cube 60 for quite a while, but once i found my polytone, i knew tone heaven, i keep the EQ dead flat o the amp and adjust the tone from the guitar.

the cat who suggested using the volume to adjust tone is DEAD ON. i never keep the volume at 100%. it allows to keep the tone knob a bit higher (i roll it about half off) so i get a softer sound and i don't lose definition.

what's a thread without pics, right? here i am rockin' the tele at a "hipper than i can really fit into" wine tasting a few months back...

[​IMG]

4. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well, I guess this is why I came to the TDPRI in the first place ... jazz on a Tele.
    Though my current 'jazz' tele has filtertron in the neck, you definitely don't need a humbucker there (I play a lot of jazz on Strats too with stock singles).

Big +1 to jazztele's tutorial on the volume and tone knob settings. That's one of the reasons I never use a 'bright cap' on my volume circuits - I like the way the mids sort of 'take over' when you roll it back.
    Here's some pics ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. craigoslo

craigoslo Tele-Meister

Is that a classical style playing position you use? I find my tele is a bit uncomfortable to play sitting down because it lacks the right arm support of a bigger guitar. Maybe I should try classical position. Do you use a left foot lift?

6. wangdangdoodle

wangdangdoodle Tele-Holic

Thanks, that's what I ment! I guess the tone knob thing really depends on the place you're playing. For smaller venues or playing at home I really like having the tone on full and having the volume backed off very slightly. When I play bigger venues though I find there's extra brightness added to my sound so then I roll the tone half way off.

7. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

I'll play jazz on just about anything, including an esquire. Lately, of course, I've been heavily into Django so it's been acoustic and archtops galore.

For a regular, straight ahead jazz gig, I would probably grab either my 62RI Tele w/ Vintage Vibe and Barden pickups (see below), or my 72RI Thinline into a SFVR with Celestions

[​IMG]

8. jazztele

yes, it is, but no footrest for me...i'm able to keep my feet flat on the floor and keep my back straight without it (i'm 6'3", and a lot of it is in my legs)

for me it's not even about comfort---it's about technique! i literally have to play like this, there's just some chord stretches and such that are a 100 times harder playing out of this position!

the crossed leg ken's sporting in the second pic is another good way to get the neck up a bit--while it looks just like he's relaxin'!

9. jazztele

that right there, is a slick lookin' tele. beauty!

10. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, I am relaxing in that pic - just playing a Cm7 it looks like.
    Reading gig though so there's always a 'bit' of anxiety.

Beautiful Tele w/the P-90!!!
    (Is that the one you record those chord melodies with?)

11. craigoslo

craigoslo Tele-Meister

I just ordered a "neck up guitar support". I hope this will make my tele more comfortable to play sitting down. Otherwise I have been standing, or using another guitar.

12. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

i use my mahogany tele with alnico 2 single coils with the tone dimed for a nice jazz tone. i have a nice "jazzy" sounding amp and using a bit of compression helps

13. craigoslo

craigoslo Tele-Meister

What kind of amp?

14. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I play soft jazz,mainly to myself but sometimes a few friends .I use a Tele with a SD alnico II neck pup .Beeeyewtifful jazz tones but keeps a brightness and clarity .I also play an upgraded Epi Dot with Tonerider Rocksongs.These are again alnico II .again good jazz tones .Off course all my guitars will rawk as well ,especially with a pedal .I usually play through a champ 600 modded but the good tones will come through most amps using a Dan CTO-1.As I play soft finger style I do need some clarity as well as that soft jazzy ,tone knob turned down sort of sound.Alnico II's hit the spot .I may get a nylon string solid like an Epi SST classic .I have always liked jazz on a nylon but my Spanish is too high a setting and too wide fret board to play easily .

15. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

+1
    When I grow up I want to play jazz.

16. LGOberean

I just picked up a 1995 vintage of the Peavey Envoy 110 TransTube amp, and while getting acquainted with it, I’ve been looking for good tones for jazz. Here’s what I’ve come up with so far.

As I mentioned earlier, for jazz I use my solid body Logan Tele with a mahogany body and a P-90 pup in the neck. I play in both the middle and neck positions. The volume on the guitar is dimed out, the tone rolled back to about 6 or 7.

On the Envoy, I play through the Clean channel of course. I set the Volume at about 3, and activate the 6 dB switch. I boost the mids to about 7, and then go to town. To my ear, it’s a nice clean, warm sound that works well for what I do.

As far as technique (or what passes for “technique” in my playing), I use a different pick attack/a lighter touch and a different pick. My normal pick is a Fender Medium, but for jazz I use a pick I got from Bob Logan. I don’t know its exact gauge, but it’s thinner than the Fender.

17. fretbuzzard

fretbuzzard Former Member

I try to play jazz, lately with a...Jazzmaster (maybe the only guy in history to use that guitar for its intended purpose ;) ). It can get a trad jazz tone pretty easily, especially with the "rhythm circuit," but I like to screw around with nontraditional jazz tones, too. The crossover between country, rockabilly, jazz, and blues is too fruitful to restrict oneself to dark, warm tones, even when playing straight ahead. Granted, I only play for myself, so I don't have listeners' expectations to deal with.

18. craigoslo

craigoslo Tele-Meister

What constitutes being grown up. I feel old sometimes, but I am going to keep playing guitar for a lot longer than I have already played. Maybe for longer than I have already lived.

19. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Ceriatone OTS its a Dumble/fuchs/two rock clone

20. LGOberean

I vaguely recall (older guy here, so the memory is fuzzy) seeing Paul McCartney in an interview some years back commenting about this subject. If I recall correctly, Sir Paul was in his late 50s at the time of the interview. He commented that when he was in his early 20s, he thought it would be "unseemly" to still be "shaking about" on stage at the "great old age of 30." Considering all the years of concert tours, he obviously had a change of perspective. His counsel to others concerned about longevity: "Don't sweat it, luv."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.