1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solid-Body Jazz Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by craigoslo, Jun 22, 2009.

1. craigoslo

craigoslo Tele-Meister

For all of us using solid or semi-hollow guitars for Jazz or a Jazzy tone. Talk about your gear and some tips for that smooth tone.
    I have a home brew les paul with P-90's. A chambered partscaster tele with mahogony/ebony neck, and an epi 335 (someday I will have a gibson).
    I have a fender Blues Deluxe RI, and I have been getting good results lately by turning down the treble on the amp, instead of the tone control on my guitar.
    See some of my gear here and feel free to leave a comment:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/165202-2nd-build-1st-tele-partscaster-pics.html

2. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

My two main guitars for jazz are my Gibson ES295 and a Kinman Blueprint Telecaster with Joe Barden pickups.

The Joe Barden neck pickup is one of the coolest tones one the planet.
    I roll the tone most of the way off and it is just 'that tone'.
    Lovely.

3. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't call myself a serious jazz player but I have dabbled in it for many years. I enjoy playing jazz on my solidbody Fenders as much as I do on my D'Angelico archtop. My only recommendation is to get to know your tone controls. Personally I find that the treble cut you get from lowering a Fender guitar's volume control produces a better jazz tone than using the tone control by itself. Of course the other half of the equation is the touch with your picking hand. I find that you have to ease up on the picking as compared to what you would do if playing rock or blues.

4. all_identaties_taken

all_identaties_taken Tele-Holic

I use my self built Nocaster. Which has a heavy one piece ash body and a very thin skin, plus Nocaster pickups. I can get a wonderful woody jazz backing tone in the middle position (I have the modern wiring) with the tone backed off then I can switch to the bridge for a solo. I think Leo knew what he was doing, for sure most of the guitar players he and George Fullerton loaned prototypes too were country players but the original Broadcaster/Nocaster/Telecaster was also a great guitar for Jazz.

5. craigoslo

craigoslo Tele-Meister

Wow. You use the middle position. I've never tried for a jazz sound on the middle pos with single coils untill now. It sounded different but nice. I really had to crank my tone down, but it worked. I also tried middle series. With the tone that low, they didn't sound all that different. I'm not sure about only the bridge pick up. I don't hear the jazz there. What is your tone set at A I T?

6. all_identaties_taken

all_identaties_taken Tele-Holic

The tone is set low (about three quarters off, I have the grub screw set so I can feel it) although I play with it a lot. The bridge position sound is of course a bit raw but it works for me. I have a Tech21 trademark 60 amp which is part of the tone, although I can get it through other amps.

7. telechaser

telechaser Tele-Afflicted

OK, I'll join in too. Mainly use my Thinline partscaster with flatwound 11-52 strings. I also use my '72 Thinline RI with VV Vibetron pickups. I also have a an Epiphone Sheraton II with VV Hum size P-90s. Not really into the Gibson and for the money, I would rather get a Custom Guitar made for me. I already have one in mind. Still wouldn't mind an ES-345 or ES-339.

I currently have Thinline project but waiting for $$$ to complete and still can't decide what neck to put on.

8. Tele66

Tele66 Tele-Meister

Wannabe Jazzer here. So far, just a home Jazz Player

60th Anniversary Ltd Edition Tele (Nocaster P/ups)

Maple/Ash Partscaster w/SD Vintage Mini HB at the Neck and Vintage Stack at the Bridge

Godin Montreal and sometimes even my Peavey USA Wolfgang

All through a Texas Red Special Blues Jr.

9. craigoslo

craigoslo Tele-Meister

Settings, or tone tweaking tips?

10. Tele66

Tele66 Tele-Meister

Sorry, missed that part! :oops:

My 'reference tone' for all of this is Ed Bickert. Hey, why not aim high!! LOL

I think my favourite is the 60th Anniversary LTD with the nocaster p/ups and standard tele wiring. I tend to run it on the middle switch setting with the tone rolled almost off. It has a very pleasing 'woody' tone to my ear.

The partscaster on the neck p/up (Seymour Duncan vintage min-HB) with the tone rolled back sounds very close but is louder. Not sure of the pots on this one - purchased wired from ebay but they are a replica 'vintage' setup.

The Godin 'Montreal' is a '2-voice' guitar with HB's, a piezo with slider controls and a blend knob. I run this one on the neck p/up with the tone rolled back and the blend set just to add a bit of the piezo. This gives it a nice acoustic flavoured tone. I can also run the HB's split on this one and use that setting on the neck HB as well.

Every once in a while I try the Wolfgang. I just love the neck on this guitar. With the tone rolled off and set on the neck p/up it sounds suprisingly mellow for a rock guitar with a Floyd.

I don't vary the amp much: Master & volume 0n 2-3, Fat switch engaged. Treble 7, bass 10, mid 3-4. This amp sounds quite a bit more pleasing than my stock Bjr. I have also upgraded the tubes with NOS Mullards courtesy of a very good friend who is into vintage audio. I know a lot of people don't like Blues Juniors. I find them very practical amps, plenty loud enough for small gigs and yet great for home use. I really like the Texas Red and it's a keeper. I have been intrigued by the Swart AST for a while now and will probably buy one in the future to replace the stock BJr.

All of my jazz playing/practicing is done at home - solo or with BIAB backing - bass and drums only.

I use the partscaster and stock black BJr when I play in our trio but we play mostly classic and blues rock. I do try to inject a bit of a jazz vibe to my solos and rhythm playing. I tend to use the neck p/up most of the time in this scenario as well and vary the tone knob for effect. This also is the only time I use pedals.

11. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

i aspire to jazz guitar....
    i play Tele....

12. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

+1.

When I do attempt jazz (mainly at home, out of earshot of anyone except my unfortunate wife :oops:), I use my solid body Logan Tele. It has a mahogany body and a P-90 pup in the neck. That combination when playing it clean in middle position and especially neck position gives me a fuller, warmer tone. When playing in middle position I also generally roll off the tone a bit, to around 7.

13. craigoslo

craigoslo Tele-Meister

A lot of people using both pick ups(instead of just neck) with some tone roll off. Interesting. Can anyone explain why (how) this might work better for jazz. I've always thought neck for jazz, middle for funk, bridge for rock, and any of the 3 for blues(as an extreme overgeneralisation of course).

14. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

No explanation necessary - it just sounds good. With both pickups you get a more midrange tone. The tone rolloff keeps it mellow. I like both the neck pickup and dual-pickup tones for jazz.

15. LGOberean

+1. Well said, gaddis. My sentiments exactly.

16. wangdangdoodle

wangdangdoodle Tele-Holic

All I play is Jazz and all I play it on is a Tele! I always used to go on about learning to use the tone control, but I latley I've found having a soft left hand technique, and the way you hold a pick and where you pick it (over the neck) is way more important!

Gear wise, I tend to depend upon attack and technique more... but any neck pickup with Alnico 2 magnets just really makes me feel at home!

17. LGOberean

Hmmm, interesting. To my mind, using tone control is a part of technique, but I can see your point about left hand technique and pick attack. Care to elaborate on the aspects of technique you mentioned?

18. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

Let's see....
    a "soft" left hand technique would help limit sharp attack transients, and also reduce sustain....

a flat pick attack lets the note "pop" a bit more vis-a-vis a more angled pick attack...

picking over the end of the fingerboard would result in a deeper, more mellow timbre....

all conducive to jazz tone(s) with an instrument with the Tele's inherent brightness and sustain....

19. PaulK

PaulK TDPRI Member

I use a mexi-tele with a gibson 57 classic in the neck position. I tend to roll off the tone quite a bit, and use a touch of reverb. Flat wound Daddario chromes, I used to use 12's but have been converting to 11's over the past year. My amp/cab is the standard issue Clarus/RE, I recently found Dandrea pro plec picks that sounds real warm and soft.

The main thing to get that awesome Bickert sound for me is to have a super light right hand touch (anyone reading this thread who isn't a Bickert freak: get your credit card out and immediately order "live at the garden party"). It's harder to keep that RH control at gigs than at home.

Here's a few links of me playing jazz on my tele: excuse the shameless self-promotion

Solo channeling Bickert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFuEDuDAgPQ

overdubbed doing "out of nowhere"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxu0lpWaQwo&feature=channel

and Rocking out with an awesome combo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dacm5yz9Gnk

Paul

ocomoc likes this.
  20. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

Well done Paul. That is as good a jazz tone as I've heard anywhere. Not to mention nice playing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.