Solderless patch cables

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tonedreamer, Jan 22, 2015.

1. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

2. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Never used them but you can get other brands that are basically the same thing for less money.

3. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Not those, but I'm currently making solderless patch cables with Lava Tightrope cable and the plugs that go with it. I haven't effed one up yet and have been pleasantly surprised by how easy to put together they are and how good they sound. Obviously, they will need to prove themselves over time and gigging, but they seem quite durable once assembled as well.
    I think with any of the current solderless solutions, the important part is paying attention to the details of assembly and not trying to rush through it no matter how easy it seems to put together. As long as you do your homework and make sure you're getting quality cable and plugs, solderless seems like a good solution for pedalboard cabling.
    Of course soldered connections by their very nature are always going to be more secure...
    Just read up on these free the tone ones. Try to find actual user reviews instead of the solicited kind you linked to above. They look solid enough and I like the straight plug design...

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I tried some famous makers solderless years ago...for some reason, I always
    had problems...

Went back to soldered....but, that is just me...since I use/swap in and out, them a lot..

5. fabricator

fabricator Tele-Meister

I haven't seen or used that particular brand, but they look similar to the solderless cables that GFS (Guitar Fetish) sells - and theirs are horrible!!!

The GFS cables use a screw lug (in the side of the plug) that penetrates the outer jacket and makes contact with the cable's braided shield. Trouble is, there was nothing to stop you from screwing it through the inner jacket as well, causing the cable to short out.

I made the mistake of ordering all the cable and plugs I needed for my (large) pedal board, instead of trying out a couple jumpers first. They were kind enough to refund my money for the plugs, but they wouldn't take the cable back, so I ended up using it with soldered pancake plugs. I found out later that the GFS "super low capacitance" cable (which they conveniently didn't have specs for) was really fairly high capacitance cable. After I replaced that cable with some Planet Waves low capacitance cable, it sounded like someone had pulled the blankets off my amp!! I've since replaced all my cables with Planet Waves stuff, they're great cables and are much cheaper than a lot of the boutique low capacitance cables on the market.

6. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Been using the Planet Waves for a long time - super easy to make and reliable.

7. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Same here, but why to they make the plugs so big compared to other solderless kits?

8. PaisleyIsGod

PaisleyIsGod Tele-Holic

I had heard a lot of bad things about them but a lot of the guys I watch on youtube who are sponsored or have really high end gear seem to use them with their setups. Might just be people trying to find something to pick at.

9. artdecade

I don't know... but I often hear people complaining about other cables failing. I've never heard anyone have a failure with PW. Maybe it has something to do with that...

10. artdecade

You have? Where? I've never heard anyone speak poorly about them other than that they are big. :lol:

11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use George Ls right angle solderless. I've never had a problem, but my board is stationary (home studio). If it gets bounced around a lot, make sure the screw on caps are really tight (use pliers). If you're wiring a whole board, use a continuity tester on each cable after you make it up. Sure beats getting the whole thing done, and trying to track down the cause of the <silence>.

FTT brand looks expensive. (Rogue @ $150+). A comparable George L's pack can be had at MF and other places for about half that.

12. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

If memory serves, I think the Gibson Maestro Fuzz Tone had a cable emanating from inside the pedal. It may have been 10 feet. The plug on the other end was solderless, I believe. I don't remember if this was to the amp or from the guitar. I think to the amp.

13. PaisleyIsGod

PaisleyIsGod Tele-Holic

When I was putting my board together a couple months ago and looking on Amazon etc for kits, a lot of the reviews were negative. But since ordering pedals and accessories off Amazon over the last little while it seems like a lot of people who write reviews on there are expected vouchers for steak dinners to be delivered with their stuff. Like I said, I've seen more good than bad reviews and opinions on them lately.

14. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

I've heard nothing but good things about the operational quality/reliability of the Planet Wave ones as well - they weren't an option for me though due to the size of the plugs. I'm incorporating a Disaster Area Designs DPC-8EZ programmable loop switcher into my rig and the jack spacing is just way too tight for something like the PW's; not to mention pedal spacing.
    I researched a lot of options and settled on the Tightrope in the end. I almost went with the Evidence Audio Monorail, but the price on the Lava was better for the amount of cable and plugs I needed (I got 40 plugs and I may end up needing more by the end of this pedalboard project, too!).

15. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Used to use the Planet Waves dealies. But when I redid my board, the plugs were just too big. Went with George Ls and have had zero problems.

16. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

+1
    I've been using the SAME set of George L's for about 18 or 20 years (hard to remember exactly)...and I only had ONE fail on me, and it took me less than 5 minutes to fix.

That's a darn good track record for two decades. And I used to gig multiple times a week for most of those years (not so much anymore).

I Highly recommend the George L's

JMHO. YMMV.

17. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, those Free the Tone ones are super expensive compared to PW, George L and Lava. They're basically the same idea as the George L's only with smaller plugs. I can't justify the price of them when there are comparable options both quality and ease of assembly wise.

Here's my still in progress board using the Lava plugs and cable (still screwing with layout and a couple of pedals in the pic are placeholders):
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1422020895.137725.jpg

18. artdecade

Free The Tone makes amazing gear... but they are the Cornish of Japan. Prices, quality, etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.