1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

soldering pens

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by oldteleguy, Sep 6, 2012.

1. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

Hi,does anyone here use a soldering pen instead of a soldering iron? I have old age issues:unsteady hands,artheritis,and diminishing vision,which make using a
    traditional iron difficult.Would the pen be better for me? if so,what model would
    you recommend?
    thanks

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Another option if you have an O'Reilly Auto Parts store nearby although I'm sure others would stock them as well. This ones is about $6.00 and worked just fine for my last soldering job.

[​IMG]

4. TeleMan59

TeleMan59 Tele-Meister

5. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

I was not aware that there was a difference between a soldering iron and a soldering pen. Could you please explain your perceived differences so that we can better suggest something to you?

For me, the soldering iron and the soldering pen are the same. They are pen shaped devices, about screwdriver size, and usually have a plug on one end. I have also seen butane-fueled ones as well.

The soldering gun is a trigger-style device that is usually used for larger jobs (read: REALLY REALLY big, like, never ever on a guitar kind of jobs).

There are also those battery-powered "cold heat" or whatever bull**** things. I just call those garbage. I have one and got it to make 1 ("one") decent solder joint after messing with it for about 30 minutes. Not worth it.

6. yellowbeard

yellowbeard Tele-Holic

I use an el cheapo iron I bought in radio shaft some years back. Not 100% sure but I think it's 30 watts. It works like a champ, even for soldiring ground wires to the back of pots. And FWIW, my hands shake, I can't see for crap, and the old joints ain't what they used to be either.

7. mPetetele

mPetetele Tele-Meister

I had a Radio Shack soldering iron-lasted about a week.Went to Sears and bought a Craftsman for under $25.00-great iron! and gets super hot! and my hands shake-at times.

8. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

Yellowbeard-+1

9. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Me too, never again; I couldnt finish my tele project last night. POS wouldn't even melt any solder

10. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I also threw mine out - piece of useless junk. Would have returned it to the store but was 3 months before I tried it.

Am using a 25 watt from Radio Scrap - works fine.

11. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

The 45W Weller TCP = Temperature Controlled Pencil - is mightier than a pen

12. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

I suggest getting a Hakko... best consumer irons on the market, IMO. Thin diameter grips, fine tips, awesome quality, heats quickly. I paid a bit under 100 bucks for my station but it's worth every penny. I got turned onto the brand through an old job we used some of the battery ones for industrial electrical work. I think the cheaper Hakkos run around 40 bucks, but may be cheaper now.

13. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

I have one like soulman969 shows and works well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.