1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Soldering issues, telecaster

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by MrSwede, Aug 9, 2012.

1. MrSwede

MrSwede NEW MEMBER!

Hi there!
    I recently bought a cheap vintage by wilkinson telecaster, kind of just for fun, but I can barely use it at all because of the hum.
    I've got some string hum which goes away when i touch the strings, so I guess it all has got to do with improper grounding. I tried to ground my strings after doing som research but then the sound died completely. When i removed the string grounding the sound came back.
    When i did this i noticed that the wiring was completely diffirent from all the other telecaster wiring diagrams I've seen. I had no cable going from the sleeve tip on the input cup. The guy i bought it from said that the ground cable was in the same cable.. I think you will see on the pictures.

Is this a possible way to wire a tele, or is it just dead wrong. Maybe my tele was a cause of one of them mondays?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think?

Sincerely, MrSwede

2. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

How did you perform the string grounding? It sounds like you may have just shorted the signal to ground. If you ran a wire from the back of a pot to the strings and it made the sound go completely away, I would wager that the output jack is wired up wrong.

3. LTadrian

LTadrian TDPRI Member

Yeah it does look wrong, I don't know why there is that gray cable connecting the volume pot to the tone pot. :confused: But I wouldn't say that this would be the problem to the bad hum either.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.