Soldering iron ?

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
I want to purchase a bigg tip soldering iron, at least 100 watts. Is there a good modern one to purchase or should I go with a vintage one from a reputable seller??? :)

Jon Snell

Tele-Afflicted

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I want to purchase a bigg tip soldering iron, at least 100 watts. Is there a good modern one to purchase or should I go with a vintage one from a reputable seller??? :)

I really like my Weller digital. Heats up very fast.
I use a Weller and I like it a lot. Can't go wrong with one a those.

20220705_113721.jpg

max_twang

Tele-Afflicted
I found a 100 watt Weller at Goodwill a while back. It works great on
soldering to the amp chassis.

They're $70 on Amazon. Not sure why can't post a link...

skradlee

Tele-Meister
This one is 80W and very beefy

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
This one is 80W and very beefy

I have that one for the occasional job that requires a big iron and it's more than adequate. FYI, it will melt wire sponge tip cleaners like a Hakko 599B.

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
Some years ago, when I was doing wiring and such, I bought a Hakko soldering station thing. I did some small amount of research and the model seemed a good one at a reasonable price.

It worked great. I was always terrible at soldering though.

dimkasta__

TDPRI Member
I wholeheartedly recommend a TS100 soldering iron. I use mine with my bench PSU at 24V and it's a beast. To get a power estimate, I see it pulling 3-4A during startup or during soldering big parts. Of course you can configure the temp according to the job, and it heats up to full temp in like 2-3 seconds. It also keeps up the temp excellently on huge loads like big metal parts. There is a huge selection of tips, and you can even use hakko ones. For anything bigger, I have a Dremel Versa Tip, but I have not used it in ages.

The only drawback is that it's really not ergonomic.

For reference, I also have an Ersa RDS 80 and a ZD-917 which I have not used in ages simply because of the performance of the TS100

Mowgli

Tele-Meister
In addition to getting a good iron, consider getting an appropriate sized chisel tip, some type of flux (I use liquid, others use paste), the right solder, a brass coil and holder for tip cleaning, some solder wick and a solder sucker of some variety.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
I used Weller irons professionally for years, never had any issues with the irons or the 'stations'. Can't really fault them.

Havins

TDPRI Member
I gave up on the little soldering irons because they take so long to heat up and cool down and if you leave them on too long they quit altogether. One of them I used to make a smoke machine to find leaks in car vacuum lines. It works good. Another I use to plastic weld. To solder wires I went back to my old Montgomery Ward Power Kraft soldering gun. It heats up almost instantly and works fantastic on guitar wiring. I've had it for over 25 years and it just keep going. If it ever quits I'll buy a Weller gun to replace it....

Swirling Snow

Tele-Meister
I've heard you want to keep soldering guns away from pickups unless you want to "age" them.

But yeh, low wattage irons are for electronics, not the electrical bits in guitars. You can't "get in and get out" if you have to wait for the heat to transfer.