1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Soldering eyelets when they're used top and bottom

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by rdh002, Jul 19, 2009.

1. rdh002

rdh002 TDPRI Member

Hi,

I've searched for an answer to this most basic question, but I can't find the answer -- apologies if it has been covered elsewhere...

When soldering an eyelet board, I have read that you dry fit the components first then solder a batch.

Given that you have some eyelets which have a component on the top of the board and also a wire in the same eyelet from underneath, what's the procedure for this? Do you fit all the wires underneath first? -- in which case how do you stop the unsoldered wires from coming out when you turn the board over to fit the components on top?

I can see that making a small hook in the wire underneath the board would keep it from falling out when the board is 'top up' but, if you fit all the underneath wires together, I can't see how you would turn the board back over without dislodging them. I can see how one would do this if you dry fitted one eyelet at a time then soldered it but, like I say above, all the procedures I have read about talk about dry fitting all, or a batch, of eyelets first then soldering them all?

Puzzled :confused: ...

If anyone could briefly outline the procedure step-by-step, that would be very helpful...

Thanks.

2. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

Leave your component leads long. Bend them over and solder them then trim then back after the solder has dried.

3. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

You could bend all of the leads from caps/resistors to keep them from falling out, then solder up each jumper as you go.

I like to run jumpers over the board now, though.

4. callaway

callaway Tele-Holic

Just start doing it and you will quickly figure out what works for you.

5. MeanGreenBlues

MeanGreenBlues Tele-Meister

Yep...use the bent leads on the components as little clips to hold them in place, then solder.

I run jumpers underneath eyelet boards, but on top of turret boards.

6. rdh002

rdh002 TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone for the responses.

If JohnnyCrash elects to over the board every time and MeanGreenBlues 'goes overboard' on turret boards, I have to assume that you guys would not do this if it compromised tone in any way?

If that's so, any thoughts on why all the layouts (including the originals) choose to go under the board for certain connections? After all, it's obviously harder to do that way, and large companies like Fender would have been looking for the most efficient and cost-effective assembly process. So I have to wonder why go under-the-board at all if over-the-board gets the job done just as well?

Anyone care to explain?

Thanks again.

7. MeanGreenBlues

MeanGreenBlues Tele-Meister

Sure thing...

Eyelet board components tend to lie down right on the board, and depending on the jumper wire thickness and such, it would have a component or lead laying on top of the wire. Properly insulated, it's no big deal, but could result in more sloppy looking boards.

With turrets, the components and leads are raised up off the board, so the jumpers can ride underneath easily enough.

Here's a BF circuit with turrets and eyelets that I've done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. rdh002

rdh002 TDPRI Member

Wow, that's pretty work, MGB!

Thanks for the info.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.