Solder Wick Trick?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Ed Storer, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm trying to remove a stupid PCB mounted input jack without much success. It's one of these.
    [​IMG]
    The chassis is folded above it, so I can't use a solder sucker. Solder wick can't seem to get the job done and I have to think it's my technique that's failing, not the solder wick. The product doesn't come with instructions and I'm hoping the TDPRI forum will give me direction on how to use the wick effectively.

Edit to add images of the situation:
    [​IMG]
    Under-view:
    [​IMG]

Thanks - Ed

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Use a hand-held "solder sucker" basically a vacuum tube that literally "sucks" the molten solder from a joint/connection:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Nickfl likes this.
  3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I put the wick right over the solder and put the iron on top of that.
    I think if I was worried about heat on pcb traces, I'd put some flux on the wick.

Archtop Bill and jondanger like this.
  4. Formerblonde

Formerblonde Tele-Meister

Never used a wick myself. ALWAYS used a solder sucker just like the one pictured above. If you're replacing the part then you can make the job easier by snipping the old component close to the solder lugs. Makes the cleanup much easier.

You should always work from the solder side of the board and more often than not you end up regretting working on a pcb while it's still installed.

Axis29 likes this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

You also may want to file a soldering tip to a gradually tapered point so you don’t disturb adjacent joints. Loosen soldered tabs one at a time lifting the jack gently as you go. It may take a few passes around the tabs to be able to remove it. It will be easier to wick or suck solder away once the jack is removed.

6. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

Go ahead and remove that board from the chassis. Even once you get that desoldered, it's likelylik be difficult to replace the jack without damage where it is.

DrBoBo likes this.
  7. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Remove the entire board from the chassis. :eek:
    It can't be that hard.
    Yes, you will have to remove all the knobs and pot nuts... so what... techs do this kind of stuff all the time.

I simply can't imagine that a tech would try to remove that jack with the board still in the chassis.

If you don't care about the jack, cutting the pins with very small flush cutting snips make it a whole lot easier.

If you are trying to save the jack, then it's a pain.

Wally likes this.
  8. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

I would take angle cutters to the old jack then pull the lugs one by one.
    Then use a sucker like the one above to clear out the holes.
    I wouldn’t use wick to remove that much solder.

DuckDodgers likes this.
  9. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Yuuuupppp.

I like the solder sucker way better than a wick, but when I have to use one, I do it the way Charlie says.

Edit to add: Aren’t you going to have to pull that board out anyway to get the jack out? Looks like it’s one of those boards that is attached to the chassis via the pot and jack nuts. If so, you’re going to have to take the board out to back the throat of the jack out the chassis hole.

10. Monkey_Relish

Monkey_Relish TDPRI Member

What I would do is to cut away at the input jack with a set of small side cutters. Hack it away until there are only individual legs. Then re-solder each leg, and use a set of pointy nose pliers to pull out a leg at a time when heating it with an iron.

Mr Relish

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

You can use a Switchcraft input jack to replace that plastic PCB-mounted jack. The Switchcraft will be hard-wired to the board and will never need replacement.

corn husk bag, Andy B, BobbyZ and 3 others like this.
  12. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm gonna add my opinion that it;'s time to remove that board... and use a sucker on a PCB. I learned that lesson last year for good when I screwed up my '59 Bassman RI and ended up having to just replace the innards with new hand-wired guts.

Don't get me wring, I enjoyed the replacement. But, if I'd had a touch more patience and pulled the PCB, I wouldn't have HAD to do it.

Wally likes this.
  13. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Thanks to all for the advice. I do have a solder sucker and greatly prefer it.

14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

remove the board. But if you wick it, use flux on the wicking weave. But you really need to get at those and heat it quick before you harm it. Those are a piece of cake if you can get at it.

15. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

Solder wick works 100% better if it has some solder wicked into it before trying to use it to remove solder. Old trick I learned years ago. Wont hold as much solder but keep cutting off the wick rewicking with solder before trying to wick up solder from the board.

16. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

It's usually good to look someone over the shoulder. try this:

bender66 likes this.
  17. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use wick most of the time. #4 wick, not the skinny wick that is usually available. If the wick doesn’t seem to work, cut off the end so you have a fresh piece. I use a flux pen to apply flux to the contact I’m desoldering.
    Through hole pcb’s often require the use of ChipQuik especially if the original solder was lead free.

18. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

I've had success with solder wick on stuff like this. I put flux on the copper before I lay it down on the solder and use just a dab of solder on my tip. Looking at your pic, i would put flux on the legs as well.

19. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

A 2nd glance at your pic and I realize that even if you get the solder off, you'd have to pull at an angle to free the jack. You may have to take the board out to ensure the best result. They didn't design it with ease of repair in mind. Best of luck!

jondanger likes this.
  20. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Agreed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.