1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solder Preferences?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by James Knox, Nov 24, 2020.

1. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have finally come to the end of the Solder Spool I have had for years. I want to order a new Spool but wanted some advice/suggestions?

What do you use? What do you like?

I’m looking at getting This Kester 60/40 44 flux ... I’m guessing the differences in diameters (.050 - .031) is for faster application or something?

75E03CC7-DB5C-4B50-9B91-CF5C4625D0B3.jpeg

2. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

The smaller diameters make soldering SMT parts easier and without using too much solder. But are a pain for lug joints that need more (also they have less flux so you have to constantly clean the iron and use more flux). I do both so I usually go for whatever happy medium is available that’s in between .3 and .8mm. Though I used to keep separate sizes.

King Fan, Wulf and James Knox like this.
  3. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

I like good old fashioned lead/tin solder...high lead content low melting point so as not to cook pots or switches...these modern lead free solders often seem brittle and can fail...or make a hit and miss joint..regardless of how carefully you use them
    they can deteriorate too....remember early xbox 360s?..red ring of death...that was because they used wrong solder
    i use plain solder and a tin of fluxite...not keen on solder and flux combined

4. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

What @loopfinding said about diameter. The really thin stuff (0.02 and less) is best for PCBs etc. Sockets want something a bit thicker (I use 0.031), and turrets maybe 0.05.

As for composition, the easiest is eutectic -- 63/37. Melts easily yet starts to set as soon as you withdraw the iron.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.