1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sold the Nocaster, who'd a thunk it?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 51Nocast, Jun 24, 2009.

1. 51Nocast

51Nocast Tele-Meister

I have a pattern established. I dream and lust for the high end stuff, eventually I get it and then down the road realize I'm a lunch pail guy and go back to stuff that fits me. I had a high end bass, ended up selling it and now my only bass is an 89 Stingray. I bought the Nocaster and it was everything I could have imagined. Then I had Mr. Logan build me a Tele for a specific purpose, it turned out great and I just sold the Nocaster. Am I implying that the Logan is the equal of the Nocaster? No not at all. But it is just perfect for my needs. I may replace Lace pups down the road but maybe not.

So the point of this? I'm sad to see the Nocaster gone but I'm comfortable in my shoes.

If a used 52 RI Tele comes along though I think I feel comfortable in those shoes too........:lol:

Oh and now that the Nocaster is gone how can I change my user name......;)

2. Dizi

Dizi Banned

I don't blame you. Dream Tele, but I wouldn't feel comfortable owning one unless I was very wealthy.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You did the right thing - there's definitely someone out there that will put it to serious use.

Having a "perfect" guitar hangs over the heads of some guys - I've seen it.

Sometimes you don't feel perfect. I like having guitars of varying degrees of refinement so I can slum when I wanna slum, and soar a little when that other "musician" guy takes over in me and I can actually play.

4. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

Not to steal the thread, but I'm having serious "multiples" trouble right now. Having 14 guitars in the quiver is making me feel a little overwhelmed....but I love all of them.

Granted like six of them were free (gifts) and I used my employee improvement funds at work to purchase one. The rest are not even real high end.

5. silentactors

silentactors Tele-Meister

ah yes the gear bug - I have told myself I am not allowed to sell any more personal gear, except for pedals. No guitars or amps - I would LOVE to have back the guitars I have sold over the last few years. However, without selling those I prob wouldnt have the ones I have now... so you give and take I guess...

6. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

There in lies the rub! Get yourself a used 52 RI and you'll never look back!

Thanks,

7. pcypert

pcypert TDPRI Member

I'm in the same boat. I used to buy super expensive mandolins even though I was happiest with a 400 dollar flat top Mid Missouri...

8. Gregpeddie

Gregpeddie TDPRI Member

Im sorry but what is a Nocaster???????????????

9. frankthomson

frankthomson Tele-Afflicted

i've also purchased caviar, only finding out later i'm a BigMac kinda guy

c'est la vie.....baby

10. Sterling Indigo

Sterling Indigo Friend of Leo's

High end Tele that leaves you with "no" money after you buy it...:lol:

Actually, Fender initially called them Broadcaster's which was too similar to a Gretch product at the time so they produced them with "no" label for a short time. Hence the name, Nocaster.

11. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I usually agree with Twang Tone, and this time is no exeption!

12. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

used '52RI: get it set up by a good tech; maybe have the frets ground and polished if needed; new pickups if the stock ones don't do it for you- and you've got a great guitar for the money.

13. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

The most important part is actually playing it...so go with the one that you feel comfortable on and let go of the rest - never look back! :D

14. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm with Mandy----Go play what you got.....

15. CodeBlue

CodeBlue Tele-Holic

I own 4 electric guitars, all pretty expensive. Sometimes I think about buying a high-quality - low -dough - beater for gigs when I play someplace that I don't want to take my high-end axes.
    Don't worry about selling the Nocaster. If it wasn't right for you, someone will find it and give it a good home!

16. SteveY

SteveY Tele-Afflicted

In 1951 Gretsch threatened a lawsuit at Leo Fender as they had a drumkit marketed as the Broadkaster.
    Leo just chopped the "Broadcaster" part of his headstock decals off and used them up. Afterwards he re-named the model: Telecaster.

The Fender Custom Shop makes reissue '51 (unlabeled except for the "Fender" moniker on the headstock, thus slang-renamed by the cognoscenti) "Nocasters" to celebrate the very beginnings of the Telecaster movement in a way that's a bit more authentic and period correct than the production '52 RI Telecasters.

The CS Nocaster reissues have a body shape that actually includes a bit of "lip" sticking out from under the neck in the cutaway pocket, and maybe sharper body radius edges.
    The RI Nocaster pickups (also available as a set from the Custom Shop) use AlNiCo II magnetic polepieces, vs the '52 RI's AlNiCo V magnetic material.

The wiring is a bit different as well. In the CS Nocaster RI guitars, the wiring in the middle switch positions yields the front pickup, with the bridge pickup available when the rearward pot is rolled forward, and when the rearward switch position is engaged it is straight bridge pu with only the vol pot in line.
    There is no "tone" pot on the guitar. Instead the "full-forward" switch position (#3 pos) puts a big ol' cap across the neck pickup for the same "bass" tone as the Tele's all got until the mid sixties.

These changes are all "period correct" for Broadcasters and Nocasters, but Custom Shop attention to detail and body wood selection (and the big ol' neck shape) seem to add a premium price, while the production '52 RI Tele's, while also great, bother some purists who are willing to pony up for more authentic details which require more labor to do (like correctly applying a thinner finish, "relic'ing" to various degrees, etc etc).

By 1952, the "middle" switch position (#2 pos) yielded a neck pickup with the rear pot now acting as a tone rolloff in conjunction with another cap.

My CS Nocaster was a NOS version which I left stock wiring and learned to negotiate, until I built a Tele (modern wired) based on an earlier (not-quite-so-period-correct) CS Nocaster body I acquired from a friend.

After that, having $2500 wrapped up in a largely redundant type ax caused me to peddle my ('07) CS '51 RI Nocaster NOS. Great ax BTW, and worth it to me at the time, but ultimately when I needed money it couldn't do anything my partso-Nocaster couldn't (soundwise), though I suppose I have given up some bragging rights (also not that important to me, apparently).

17. 51Nocast

51Nocast Tele-Meister

If I get a chance I want to buy a used 52 RI. I traded the Nocaster for a Stu Daddy Deluxe Reverb and cash so I'm ok with the whole thing. I bought the amp after doing some reading on the web and looking at pics and talking to people. I love the attention to detail and PTP wiring. Who knows? I know the guy who gets the Nocaster will get better use out of it than me. But I will remember the feeling of "quality" I would get every time I picked up the Nocaster. It was like "butta" and sounded great too. The neck was huge but in an odd way very comfortable, so different from my "soft v" neck on my Logan. I'm glad I had the experience.

Now fingers crossed the Stu-Daddy amp makes me happy too.

And as Mandy said just play the one that feels right and let it go.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

19. XKnight

XKnight Tele-Afflicted

I had a 52 RI which I traded to get a CS NoCaster after playing one. The NoCaster was an excellent Tele (best I've ever played), but I ended up trading it for a ES-335. I then traded the 335 for a Rickenbacker. And so the quest continues. I love trying out different guitars, but many only stay around for a few months and then I move onto something different.

20. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I never feel right about owning "expensive" stuff. It's just the way I was raised (depression baby's) Even having a couple of hundred bucks tied up in something when you know that you could "make do" for 75 or so is enough to upset my equilibrium..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.