Sold my Origin 20 combo.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Didn’t need to, but it went to a good home. I’ve been playing nothing lately but my ‘68 Custom Deluxe on the custom channel. I also have an Orange. And a boutique 18 watt head. And I have a line on getting my old JCM900 back.

I loaned it (the Origin) to the other guitar player in my bar’s house band Wednesday night, and it just sounded so good. He plugged his 6120 into it and it sounded just dreamy all night. Better than when I play through it. Lol. So afterward he said “I’m buying one of those!” So I said “why don’t you just buy that one and save yourself some money?”. Done deal.

If I really decide I miss it, it’s not like they’re hard to find.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
Didn’t need to, but it went to a good home. I’ve been playing nothing lately but my ‘68 Custom Deluxe on the custom channel. I also have an Orange. And a boutique 18 watt head. And I have a line on getting my old JCM900 back.

I loaned it (the Origin) to the other guitar player in my bar’s house band Wednesday night, and it just sounded so good. He plugged his 6120 into it and it sounded just dreamy all night. Better than when I play through it. Lol. So afterward he said “I’m buying one of those!” So I said “why don’t you just buy that one and save yourself some money?”. Done deal.

JCM900...VERY underrated Marshall!

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Good plan.

I thought you weren't a Fender amp kinda guy?
I’m done with fender after the brown face amps. The browns and tweeds I’m great with. The custom channel on the ‘68 Deluxe is not your typical BF/SF Fender sound. It’s earlier. Add in that they made the channels in phase so you can jump ‘em, and it gets real chewy. I’m digging it a lot.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
JCM900...VERY underrated Marshall!
It’s my old 4102 Combo. Probably my favorite amp ever. I had it since new. I sold it to a friend when I was convinced I was never going toget my health back and actually be able to carry it to gigs again. But then I did get my health back. So now I’d love to have it back, and the gentleman I sold it to is open to the idea of it coming home. Just gotta get the cash together.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Get a vintage Traynor...lol
I had a Guitar Mate 30 Reverb for a bit. I think it was late 60’s? I don’t remember. With a vintage celestion in it. I hated that amp. Probably in my top 3 most disliked amps that I’ve owned. It sounded like a Blackface Princeton reverb to me. Louder, but pretty much the same thing. I haven’t tried other Traynors because of how much I disliked that amp. Probably not fair. I should look at some other models, being that they’re so well built and still somewhat affordable.

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
A buddy recorded some here the other day on my Origin 50. He has a Mesa Single Rec head, a 100 watt Marshall Vintage Modern head and cabinet, and a 50 watt Vintage Modern combo. Now he wants an Origin after he played mine cranked into overdrive.

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
I had a Guitar Mate 30 Reverb for a bit. I think it was late 60’s? I don’t remember. With a vintage celestion in it. I hated that amp. Probably in my top 3 most disliked amps that I’ve owned. It sounded like a Blackface Princeton reverb to me. Louder, but pretty much the same thing. I haven’t tried other Traynors because of how much I disliked that amp. Probably not fair. I should look at some other models, being that they’re so well built and still somewhat affordable.
I have a 73 YBA1 so very marshallesque. Jtm45/Bassman….el34 40-45 watts. Matches my Origin 20 tone wise but just beefier. Also the other way round my 20 can sound a lot like the Traynor just not as loud….I installed a MVon the Traynor and it works fantastic.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have a 73 YBA1 so very marshallesque. Jtm45/Bassman….el34 40-45 watts. Matches my Origin 20 tone wise but just beefier. Also the other way round my 20 can sound a lot like the Traynor just not as loud….I installed a MVon the Traynor and it works fantastic.
That’s sounds like an awesome amp!

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire

Thought you might find this interesting…

Pech Merle The YBA-1 is largely a Marshall 1987 clone, with larger transformers. By this gen, Marshall had carved out enough unique elements to their amp designs to be their own animal. The tube rectifier was gone (massive upgrade for anyone who's right hand works) the 6L6s were gone, and the tone stack had become the 500pF, 33k, 2 x 22nF largely transparent device that we all know and love.

I've owned all 3 BF Bassmen designs (still have aa864 and ab165), and their circuits have rather little in common with the YBA1.

All 4 are great sounding amps, but the YBA1 and 1987 could fool most people in a blind audio test.
The NFB and preamp architecture differences between the early and late BF Bassmen differentiate them pretty drastically from one another. The AB165 has a lot more gain. It's also more compressed due to the (count em) 4 NFB paths in the amp.

Midgetje94

Tele-Afflicted

you have very good taste in amps haha. I’m a fan of the Crate Vintage clubs (as many are. But we’ve spoke about them) and my amp I regret selling the most was a Origin 50 head. Been waiting to find the right combo.

Rufus

Friend of Leo's
A buddy recorded some here the other day on my Origin 50. He has a Mesa Single Rec head, a 100 watt Marshall Vintage Modern head and cabinet, and a 50 watt Vintage Modern combo. Now he wants an Origin after he played mine cranked into overdrive.

I love the sound of my 50 watt (really about 35 watts) Vintage Modern head with its 425a 4x12' cab.
Its the only Marshall I've ever had.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
Old Traynor Bassmasters are still very affordable and built like tanks, they are as was noted pretty much a hand wired Marshall circuit.
They are big and heavy for a compact head, and LOUD! And they sound great.