Sold my baja for a 50's road worn tele

RadioFM74

Friend of Leo's
I agree.

But maybe the most objectionable thing about the S-1 is the added leads, the added solder joints, and the resultant increased level of gratuitous noise. Bajas are not quiet guitars. I wouldn't mind if they were quieter and removing the S-1 will do that. But the Baja stock pickups are not RWRP. I wish FMIC would revise the model, make the stock pickups RWRP and delete the S-1 (leave the 4 way) and put some vintage knobs on it.

Oh, just to clarify, I hear what you're saying but I do in fact use the 4 way switches a whole lot. I spend more and more time either on the Bridge alone or B + N in series.

Like the OP I never used S1 and 4-way and found it inconvenient, both because of the added wiring and because I like to flip without problems between neck and bridge pup. But as I like my Tele, I pulled (and kept) the original harness and installed a new one. Easy-peasy. That said, I can totally see the other reasons that could justify the OP swap (7.25 and if you don't like the Baja neck). (I said: if!)

tjmicsak

Tele-Meister
I can live without the S1, but I use the 4-way series a lot on the Baja. Its like having a Les Paul middle position on a Tele.

I recently bought one of Fenders American Original 50s Tele and just had to add that 4-way, along with a TBX, which I have also grown very accustomed to modded on the Baja.

If I mull it over and decide to put the stock tone/cap and 3-way back in the OA50s it means bringing both to gigs. I'd rather avoid that.

jim777

Tele-Meister
I personally don't get the "there are too many options" feelings, but I like having different sounds available on my Baja. And that neck... :) I can understand wanting something else though, I have a Bluesboy with a humbucker in the neck arriving tomorrow :)

raysachs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've had both and liked both. The Baja is more versatile, but the Roadworn is more "tele", which I can't explain beyond that. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the not quite as fat but still substantial and totally unfinished feeling neck on the roadworn more than I liked the fatter, poly-finished neck on the Baja. I know the neck is the Baja's strong suit, and I liked it a lot, but I personally like the neck on the roadworn more. For the versatility of the Baja I have a strat. The S1 doesn't press itself and the fourth position on the switch doesn't engage itself (although it kind of sometimes does, since it's the last position and so if you just shove it forward, you might overshoot the third position). But just having them there was mental clutter to me - I always throught about them and the possibilities they represented. The roadworn just has the classic three tele options with the great single volume and tone control. And, again, there are other guitars for other sounds.

And if you gotta have a Lester with P90s, pick one of these up from GC or Musician's Friend - it's not TV yellow but for just a little over the price of the yellow one, you can have this and the roadworn. And this guitar has all of the P90 balls you could want in a really nice playing guitar. I had one briefly and loved the feel and sound, but I can't seem to get on with the leg-cut position on Les Pauls for my typical seated playing position - twists me all out of shape and hurts like hell after about 10-15 minutes - so I ended up with an Epiphone 339 with P90s instead. But this is a great guitar and crazy value...

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson...Electric-Guitar.gc?pdpSearchTerm=les paul p90

-Ray

faasie85

Tele-Meister
Ive only played both once so my opinion is well....

From the store I remember the baja as nice and I remember the the roadworn as fantastic. The feel of the roadworn just was better to me. I would love to have one bit they are a bit to pricey for me on the used market.

hdvades

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I too had a Baja and never did bond with it. It's long gone. I finally found "my Tele"...it was an AV52. If it wasn't that one I would have exactly what you have. Enjoy your new axe!

qblue

Tele-Afflicted
I love my Baja from 2007. It has and always will be a 'New jack" Tele to me. But if you think it's "mental clutter" to operate then may I introduce to you the Stratocaster. I have a Gibson L6-S that has the same options on the Baja ( parallel vs series vs Out-of-phase settings both parallel or series), but done with Humbuckers, or AKA Bill Lawrence designed SuperHumbuckers. The Baja switching is so quick compared to the L6-S. The mental clutter is multiplied because of the 6-way chickenhead switch, in which it might take 3-4 clicks to get it to a mode you like.

I really love the Baja as I use it for the #2 position S1 down (out of phase/ parallel)for a faux Strat sound, and I actually think it sounds better than the 1970 Strat I use occasionally.

I like stealth guitars. This to me means a guitar that looks like an old model, but has glorious options for more sound palettes. I don't want to limit myself. My favorite Strat, a 1990 Strat Ultra HSS with Laces, has a 3-way toggle on the dually humbucker. It operates as a SC/HB/SC, giving me at least 2 SSS guitars and one HSS in sound. The same concept applies as a stealth guitar.

The Strat Ultra has a #3 position which is wired like a Tele, so the bridge and neck are actuated. Because of the Strat pickups it doesn't sound like a Tele, but like a Strat on steroids. The 3-way toggle switch on the bridge dually HB make it approximate a Tele's #2 switch position on a 3-way Tele switch.

I liked my father's Oldsmobile, but I would never buy one. I've owned 3 Audis.

I embrace change, and continue to be progressive even as I age. BTW my Baja is one of my quietest guitars, waay quieter than the 1970 Stratocaster and the noisiest is the 2012 Gibson Tribute 60's w/ P90's.

Last edited:

Ess Eff

Tele-Afflicted
I was seriously considering one of those LP Specials. They didn’t last a day. All gone. Same thing at Zzounds.

Just needs to be a double cut.
IMG_20160329_135820.jpg

Ess Eff

Tele-Afflicted
I love my Baja from 2007. It has and always will be a 'New jack" Tele to me. But if you think it's "mental clutter" to operate then may I introduce to you the Stratocaster. I have a Gibson L6-S that has the same options on the Baja ( parallel vs series vs Out-of-phase settings both parallel or series), but done with Humbuckers, or AKA Bill Lawrence designed SuperHumbuckers. The Baja switching is so quick compared to the L6-S. The mental clutter is multiplied because of the 6-way chickenhead switch, in which it might take 3-4 clicks to get it to a mode you like.

I really love the Baja as I use it for the #2 position S1 down (out of phase/ parallel)for a faux Strat sound, and I actually think it sounds better than the 1970 Strat I use occasionally.

I like stealth guitars. This to me means a guitar that looks like an old model, but has glorious options for more sound palettes. I don't want to limit myself. My favorite Strat, a 1990 Strat Ultra HSS with Laces, has a 3-way toggle on the dually humbucker. It operates as a SC/HB/SC, giving me at least 2 SSS guitars and one HSS in sound. The same concept applies as a stealth guitar.

The Strat Ultra has a #3 position which is wired like a Tele, so the bridge and neck are actuated. Because of the Strat pickups it doesn't sound like a Tele, but like a Strat on steroids. The 3-way toggle switch on the bridge dually HB make it approximate a Tele's #2 switch position on a 3-way Tele switch.

I liked my father's Oldsmobile, but I would never buy one. I've owned 3 Audis.

I embrace change, and continue to be progressive even as I age. BTW my Baja is one of my quietest guitars, waay quieter than the 1970 Stratocaster and the noisiest is the 2012 Gibson Tribute 60's w/ P90's.

Ahhhhhhhh... You're making my head spin.

I have trouble deciding between coffee n tea in the morning.

Pointmonger

Tele-Afflicted
Did the S-1 keep pressing itself? I struggle to see the logic if based only on the 4 way & S-1. I've never had a guitar with the S-1, but I've put 4ways on a couple Teles even though I rarely use the 4th position.
Yeah, you don't have to engage the S-1 switch

DustinG

TDPRI Member
I can live without the S1, but I use the 4-way series a lot on the Baja. Its like having a Les Paul middle position on a Tele.

I recently bought one of Fenders American Original 50s Tele and just had to add that 4-way, along with a TBX, which I have also grown very accustomed to modded on the Baja.

If I mull it over and decide to put the stock tone/cap and 3-way back in the OA50s it means bringing both to gigs. I'd rather avoid that.

Is the American Original 50's a big enough improvement over the Baja to justify the price?

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
I wanted a baja 60s but didn't like the color choices or the S1 junk. Found a baja 60s neck like new with rosewood, (pre 2017 or 18) bought a classic 60s body which it the exact same body but comes in my fav color vintage white, then just tried all my saddles and pickups to see what worked best and with fender vintage plate and tuners i have a Baja MY WAY. You could have simply replaced the S1 setup with a regular setup in 2 seconds and for pocket change. Why bother getting a RW?

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
There are so many models made in so many places with overlapping and confusing specifications that I can't keep track of them all. It seems like Fender has invented simethicone for the guitar world. It breaks up GAS bubbles almost instantaneously. I have a Telecaster that does what I want from a Telecaster. It's got different Fender pickups and a different guard from what it started out with, but it's what it needs to be. I've made snarky posts in other threads about should I buy this one or that one or some other one even if I want to mod it later. My comment has always been, get the red one. I got the red one. Good enough for me.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
You could have built a new harness yourself or bought a premade for under $60.00. I would have never ditched a good guitar over something like that.

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
Well, I hope that you are happy with the trade. Personally, my 2006 Baja will stay where it is, as it is. I've just yer to encounter anything I would trade it for. But, I've never really found a use for the S1. The guitar has too much going for it anyway.

RichCuellarPDX

Tele-Meister
I did the opposite. I had a Road Worn that was super light and played well but didn't sound that great, and I couldn't get over the fake "relicing" job and got a beat up used 2006 Baja. For the price it's amazing. It sounds great and that neck is perfect. But I get not jiving with it. Sometimes a guitar just doesn't work for you.