Sold DRRI, Bought Helix

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by MerleJam, Dec 8, 2019.

1. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

My DRRI was just too loud for the church I play at and I started looking at some options. Decided to sell the amp and went with the Helix. I am not regretting it at all. I have had so much fun, although I still have a ton of learning to do with it. It has really helped with a lot of the songs that have tons of effects. I couldn’t afford them all and definitely couldn’t navigate switching them off and on, and with the endless effects and snapshot feature it really is perfect for what we are doing at church. I was skeptical of leaving the tube amp behind, but I don’t feel like I’m good enough at guitar to get anything out of a tube amp that I couldn’t from the helix. This is my first foray into modeling and I just couldn’t be happier.

2. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I'm one of three who play electric guitar at church. I'm playing through a 22 watt tube amp.

Last week the Worship Director and I had a meeting over a coffee. One thing he said when I asked him how I can improve is, try to get a sound more like Carl's. Carl bought a Helix. The pressure's on. :)

LunarSlingShot and Stringsofdoom like this.
  3. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have also recently got a Helix. I deliberately chose this time to get one as I haven't got any gigs until the new year so I knew I would have plenty of time to get my head around how to use it. In the 3 weeks I've had it I have been very impressed indeed. I haven't sold any amps or pedals yet until I've tried the Helix in a gigging situation. If all goes well, then I will start to clear out a few things.

Stringsofdoom likes this.
  4. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

I don’t understand how these get used. Do you just plug directly into the PA? So no amp at all?

5. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yes, that is one of the ways you can use a Helix.

6. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

So then the front of house send it back to floor monitors or in ears? Literally you would just need your guitar and the Helix? That seems like it would be pretty nice.

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  7. Stringsofdoom

Stringsofdoom TDPRI Member

I run my helix stereo xlr outs to the board easy as all getout and takes advantage of all stereo effects never looking back. I was all about the tube amps too till helix

8. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

The other guitarist in other church use a Helix stomp, directly through the PA and i did comment on his tone being really nice and doesnt sound like digital at all. He got his Vox sounds and Fender Bf sounds dialed in nicely!

I just bought my first tube amp, so not switching soon even if the temptation is strong

Stringsofdoom likes this.
  9. Stringsofdoom

Stringsofdoom TDPRI Member

Dont get me wrong i still have my valves but they hardly get any use anymore as the simplicity and tone are excellent

10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Helix can be used as a standalone unit direct into the board, but it can also be used as a dedicated effects processor in conjunction with a tube amp as well.

11. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

^^^ This ^^^.... it's extremely versatile and can be used in any way you want/need to!
    I know a top tier sideman that uses a Kemper for his amp tones... but uses a Helix floor for all of his effects and routing. In that case... it's modeler & profiler, not even a tube amp!

Frodebro likes this.
  12. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Wait until you try your Helix into a tube amp!

That Cal Webway and Mad Kiwi like this.
  13. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

If I gigged several times a week, I'd dial in the direct rig. But I don't gig anymore, and the tube amps spark joy. Its the historical connection, the look and feel, and the fact that I built it, and joy is why I play.

chipwich and LunarSlingShot like this.
  14. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I’ll catch up with you Helix guys in another five years.

chipwich likes this.
  15. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Please school me on the Helix concept. ;)

It sounds good, but... what if you only have solid state amps at home (i.e., no dedicated speakers/monitors)? :confused:

Thanks, guys!

16. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Yikes! Just saw the price on the Helix floor units! :eek:

Never mind. I'll hang with my S/S amps and Valeton Dapper Mini! ;)

black_doug likes this.
  17. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I went to a demo w/ the L6 rep when they first came out, w/ a eye to upgrading my Boss unit. I was impressed but the $$ is a stumbling block. I could probably swing a used one if I sold all my amps, but at this point no. I made that mistake a few years ago w/ guitars and a Variax. They are useful tools and may be just the ticket for some players/ applications but I enjoy my modest collection.

FenderGuy53 and black_doug like this.
  18. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

I think the idea it still has to be one or the other is funny. Helix is a tool. it could be an all in one or go along side a tube setup. it can even do channel switching on your amp. so I use my helix on Sundays at church, direct, with all the cool and crazy configuration options and gear we all dream of modeled up nicely. I can play at home on headphones and tweak it out till my eyes cross and nobody is even the wiser. then if I want to hear my Mesa then I turn off the amp and speaker models and its just a kick ass pedalboard. live you could even configure the outs so that you get all the amp tone goodness you need with your amp on stage and still send the modeled signal to front of house so the sound man is a happy camper too. its pretty intense. I dont think the helix is meant to delete amps forever or anything. its just making most situations a little easier. for a grand (depending on which version) you get REEEEEAAALLLY close to owning every amp and pedal you ever wanted without all the back pain and bank account pain. now, whatever the Kemper, helix, and axfx do in the next generation of modeling, I think will kill amps for good.

Mad Kiwi and vgallagher like this.
  19. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I have no intention of buying a Helix.

I would consider it if I didn't already own a professional quality tube amp (Dr. Z) and six boutique pedals that provide almost everything I need.

bftfender likes this.
  20. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

Dragging around an amp and pedalboard is fun for some people and not for others. One is not better than the other; there's no 'right' answer that applies to everyone.

The real beauty of all this is the stupifyingly huge number of choices we guitar players have today.

Frodebro, Stringsofdoom and Togman like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.