Sold a guitar on Craigslist today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Dec 4, 2019 at 12:54 PM.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup. I had a guitar I got for free a long time ago for doing some favors... it was a 'hamburglar' foto flame telecaster (Fender Japan).. it came with all the case candy and a nice fender tweed case.

I never played it. I had moved it a couple of times without even playing it... I like it okay, but it wasn't 'mine'. Anyway, I figured 675.00 would move it quickly and happily (and is halfway to the new welder I want) so I put it and an amp up on Craigs. 5 responses, 3 legit. First buyer met me at a wal mart, paid cash, no haggling (I put up some reverb ads that showed I was 'under market' so maybe that helped) and the guy was cool, on time and looked it over, was pleased, payed, left. WIN.

I'm gonna get my welder! Yay Craigslist!

PeterUK, joe_cpwe, DonM and 41 others like this.
  2. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

The only weld I'm into was Tuesday Weld, and that was a long time ago.

DonM, OldDude2, getbent and 11 others like this.
  3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

2 months ago I was trying to sell a Miller from the 80s. Never considered shipping on it though. Congrats on getting closer to the welder!

getbent and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Now I'm thinking about Tuesday Weld... ;)

Tuesday-Weld-0.jpeg

5. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Everyone should get a welder, if for no other reason than to try out the cool auto darkening helmets. No, not masks. It’s not your dear old dad’s metallurgical handiwork any more.

getbent likes this.
  6. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Im not sure about market price but it seems like a fair deal for both seller and buyer

I like the hamburgler part about the neck I’m just not into it being a weird photo veneer

getbent likes this.
  7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity

My local cop station now has a lit, filmed place in the car park for doing such deals.

getbent, Kebmel, JL_LI and 4 others like this.
  8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity

Izzat a goat?

getbent and drlucky like this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

How quickly after posting did it sell? I see stuff on my local CL sit for weeks and months.
    I just posted a Blues Junior yesterday, hope for a quick sale, but I'm not optimistic. It's super clean and would make a great Christmas gift.....but I don't know if the CL "gypsy" flippers even observe Christmas. ;)

Wildcard_35 and Rockinvet like this.
  10. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Have had some luck with Craigslist. Just sold an EM12n speaker for half price and it took months to sell. Have guitars and amps way below market on there not even a bite except for one ridiculous low ball offer. Either flippers want it for next to nothing or the item just sits for months.

getbent and nojazzhere like this.
  11. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

Sounds like you priced it right for a quick sale! I love it when the price is right, the deal is struck and both parties are happy.

There is a guitar on my CL that I'd love to own but the guy has had it listed for 2-3 years now and keeps saying "Price Lowered" in his ad but it's still $2-300 higher than I'd be willing to pay for it (desirable guitar but has a headstock repair that doesn't look done as well as I'd have done it). Anyway ... you'd think the seller would figure out that his price is too high after having it listed that long.

getbent and nojazzhere like this.
  12. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

If you are priced below market and it's an uncommon guitar with no mods, it will sell the first day, otherwise it gets goofy quick.

ROADMAN and getbent like this.
  13. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

I thought now was a bad time of year to sell. Shows what I know.

getbent, Obsessed and String Tree like this.
  14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I leave my welding to the robots, and the defense to my armed drones

Anyway, I need to move a whole bunch of music stuff, many guitars, a bunch of amps, and some pedals, and it's occurred to me CL is probably the best option

15. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Christmas is coming!

getbent and DADGAD like this.
  16. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Five responses, three legit? You’re batting way above my average. I have stuff I should sell, but it’s hard to force myself to go through that crap again (don’t even ask about the incredibly cheap Mercedes I sold to a lucky guy). For the record, the only good online selling experiences I have had are on Reverb, and the TDPRI Classifieds.

getbent likes this.
  17. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Lord have Mercy, it has been decades since I have done any welding.
    Back in high school we had Lincoln Stick Arc Welders and Oxy-Acetelyne rigs.

What are you getting?

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Am I confused? "Market Value" should be what something actually sells for. If something (guitars, real estate, whatever) sits for a long time without selling, it's NOT at market value. Sometimes you have to factor in what a seller is willing to accept, and then it might take longer to find an agreeable buyer, but everything is "fluid". I think on CL, there are other issues at work......people don't WANT what you're selling, people don't have disposable funds, people see a particular item sell for a lowball price ONE TIME, and that becomes the new "baseline" price, and probably dozens of other reasons. Frankly, many BUYERS are simply spoiled. (I know I am) I'm just not interested in buying anything unless it's at a "fire sale" price......cause I just don't NEED anything. Sometimes when selling, it depends on "kismet".....you've got to wait for that one in a million buyer to come across your listing. I'm just glad I was around to witness the "golden ages" of CraigsList, as well as pawnshops. ;)

Wildcard_35 and Rockinvet like this.
  19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Three things can help a CL sale:
    1) You have an item that a lot of people would likely want-- not a unique, obscure thing that few people would be interested in.
    2) You are located in a geographic area with a lot of people and with a good economy so a lot of those people have spending money.
    3) Your price is pretty darn low. Doesn't have to be crazy low, but needs to be perceived by the buyer as a darn good deal.

getbent likes this.
  20. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That #2 above pretty well stops me from bothering. I'd rather give guitars away than struggle to sell them at giveaway prices.

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.