Solarez Grain Filler

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Clintstone, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Clintstone

Clintstone Tele-Meister

So I bought some of this stuff to try on some Black Limba that has moderate size grain and I am blown away by this product. Not only does it fill grain, but I had a few bug holes in this piece ( about 1/16") one drop in each hole and I can barely find the holes after. But that's not even the best part, you just wipe this on, walk out in the sun for 2 minutes and then sand away. I did 2 coats in half an hour including sanding. 20191004_164105.jpg

old wrench and wadeeinkauf like this.
  2. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Congratulations on finding a great crystal clear filler sealer….That takes 5 minutes to “cure” in sunlight. In 1 or 2 hours or less you can be ready to put on a clear coat. I have been working with Solarez for 3 years and always recommend it in my posts. With Solarez you will be set for a fantastic top coat with fewer coats because the prep will already be dead smooth. Maybe we will encourage others to try it.

Wade

3. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Where do you purchase from?

Could you tint it and use it as a stand alone finish?

4. Clintstone

Clintstone Tele-Meister

I ordered it online right from their website. They do sell a topcoat called "I Cant Believe it's not Lacquer" I have a bottle of it as well but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I am going to test it out on a maple neck soon to see how it feels.

John Nicholas likes this.
  5. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

I use it for fly tying.

6. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

I'm pretty happy with where I'm at using lacquer, but I'm very open to trying a product that gives a similar finish and is more friendly to Mother Nature.

Looking forward to seeing how well the finish product works out for you.

7. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Here is a video using the clear coat. I have tried it and did not like it for a finish. You cannot spray it so you are forced to sand and polish. I can get a better finish spraying my topcoat....But you can get great results if you do not have a spray rig using this product. It is not well suited for tinting...

Wade

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    crazydave911 likes this.
  8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

here is Solarez after tanning bed treatment and a few coats of amber shellac

7B95E792-9E21-4BE6-B5D8-754B2D5E5DD9.jpeg

zippofan, Jim_in_PA and wadeeinkauf like this.
  9. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

What if it's not sunny out?
    I wouldn't know though.:rolleyes: Just asking.

10. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

@BluesBlooded has used the top coat and didn’t seem to like it that much. He’s got a thread around here somewhere detailing his experience.

11. pepperfox

pepperfox TDPRI Member

Is this product compatible with nitro top coats?

12. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

It’s polyester resin; lacquer will be fine on top. Poly isn’t really any more environmentally friendly compared to lacquer - they both give off considerable VOC.

It doesn’t have to be bright sunshine to cure. Just UV rays. Extreme overcast skies would not be good, but most other conditions mean it just takes a minute or two longer to go off.

Actually you have to be really careful to avoid stray UV hitting it before you’re ready. Close all windows and doors, etc. I’ve seen UV cure poly go off just from reflected light coming in a door.

old wrench likes this.
  13. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wow, def want to be wearing gloves with this stuff then.

14. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Yes it very hard to get off you fingers once it "cures". I use it on my maple necks walnut skunk strips. As there is no advantage to using it on close grained woods like maple...it just causes a lot of unneeded work when used solely as a sealer...but for the small walnut strip it works great. With a gloved hand I dip my finger in resin and rub just on the walnut very thin. Cure it sand and do it again I then seal my complete neck with shellac which is my sealer of choice. Also on the open grained woods it is easy to sand down to raw wood when leveling and sanding the resin...like on the edges. What has worked for in this case is to but a thin coat of shellac over the hole body. This gives a uniform color for the top coat to go over.

One other thing on their top coat.
    You can spray it...put not very effectively. There is no way to thin it. I talked to the owner who is a chemical engineer that created this particular formula when I first tested this about 3 years ago. I did spray it ONCE…way more work than just pouring in on. AND NEVER spray it inside. The overspray may never cure if you can’t get sunlight in the spray area. With the filler/sealer it will only cure with UV, but with the top coat you can cure with MEKP or sunlight. Their tech support suggested putting in a little MEKP even if you plan to cure in sunlight. This will eventually cure the overspray even without sunlight. I also had the same problems others have had in that the top coat was not crystal clear...It may have been because I did not polish out each coat enough...don't know....I would not recommend using the top coat.
    Wade

Wade

old wrench likes this.
  15. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

Good info :).

I hadn't considered that the over-spray might not cure. Could turn into a messy situation.

The Solarez "I can't believe it's not lacquer" finish product may not be what I'm looking for.

The Solarez grain filler would probably serve me best.

The oil-based grain filler (Mohawk) I've used has a pretty lengthy drying time; the water-based grain filler (AquaCoat) dries much faster, but works best only when applied in thin coats.

16. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

I really like the color and grain in that piece of black limba!

Very nice :).

17. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

This stuff is great. It is crystal clear. It is about the consistency of airplane glue or a little thicker. If you have a gouge or small chip out on your fretboard you can fill it with this. Put in the sun for 2 minutes and sand and shape. I use it to prefill thick gouges and worm holes on my reclaimed chestnut. It comes in two inch long tubes....smaller that airplane glue and this is best for the use as I suggested. It also come in a larger bottle. This does not work well as as the tube which you can squeeze over the flaw.

18. Clintstone

Clintstone Tele-Meister

One of the things I loved about this product was the complete lack of odor while using it. The company claims it has zero VOC, which would explain the lack of odor. I didn't wear any gloves and had zero issues with clean up, in fact I didn't even think about it until now.

wadeeinkauf likes this.
  19. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I’d have to see the msds to be sure, but if it doesn’t have much odor it’s probably not polyester. This grain filler might be one of Wahoo’s vinylester based products.

20. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Apparently there are a couple of UV cure sprayable top coats designed for guitars, one from Hentzen Aerospace and one from CureUV. I have no experience with either but Brian Howard did a write up on his blog.

http://howardguitars.blogspot.com/

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.