Solar thermal.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Nov 20, 2019.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Geez, what a concept. Hello. I have been doing this for 22 years with my homemade batch solar water heating system. My parents were doing the same in the 1970s.

Edit: In before the lock. Just sayin':D

3. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

how sad (and true) about the "in before the lock". i don't understand the controversy around green energy. even if you're still holding onto beliefs completely discredited by mainstream science for 40 years now... it's cheaper. especially when you're talking about passive solar like your batch heater... seems like a no brainer

4. imwjl

That's a far cry from 1000 C. I was intending to be controversial. I think it's pretty amazing if we have a foundry or pavement plant powered by the sun.

matmosphere likes this.
  5. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

telestratosonic and imwjl like this.
  6. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mr. Bill hits another home run.

imwjl likes this.
  7. imwjl

I remember as kids looking in parents, friends and grandparents drawers for most powerful magnifying glass. That dude has is beat.

8. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i was looking for a documentary about a giant solar chimney being built in Africa that powered a turbine at the top. it looked like a nuclear power station... it was huuuuge... and it cranked out thousands of degrees in temp towards the base to power the upwards wind speeds...

then i stumbled across that video instead... and now I'm 99% sure I'll be looking for a big projector TV to take apart next summer...

i can't believe those parents let their kids anywhere near that thing!!

9. Obsessed

Well, in some sort of way, I'm glad to see some effort going on, but these ideas are really not addressing the big perspective. Say, for instance, simple voltaic solar cells. The BTUs required to manufacture these is about equal to the amount of electricity in BTUs that they produce during their life time. A no sum gain on the purpose it was designed for ... producing "clean" energy. Addressing the real issue is far more difficult than any new technology. Sad, but true.

telestratosonic likes this.
  10. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

but, if we don't keep working on it, it will never get better... and it is so important

Bristlehound likes this.
  11. Obsessed

I struggle with this statement philosophically ... almost daily. It seems on the surface a very logical direction to take and I get that, but the real issue is much more complex, because it is all about our actions as consumers. It would be nice to invent some sort of technology to erase what happens as a result from mass consumerism, but whatever that technology is or can be, will not change the mass consumer's actions. Kind of like recycling. I have been recycling for about 40 years, but if I didn't drive for just 1 year I would be making a bigger impact. Yeah, recycling is a drop in the bucket and in fact it is way more productive to not have anything to throw away or recycle. That should be the first consumer goal, just to get started and it is very difficult to attain. I can't do it and I have concentrated on it for over 20 years now and have experimented with various funky concepts to achieve it.

As you said, "it is so important". It is, but "it will never get better" until we get better.

blowtorch and Bristlehound like this.
  12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Good thread.

There are some great systems now..

This one in Australia uses molten salt to reservoir the energy overnight. The storage is the core problem.

Solar capture is partly being held back because of its very simplicity. It’s not a sexy, big money, consumer investment.

My simple, but hard to make happen, solution is to give more investment £/$ and power to women. They generally look at different returns. It’s a discussion to have with our kids as it will take generations to reverse.

Possible? Possibly.

Obsessed likes this.
  13. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

It's a thorny problem.

Electric cars... YAY! Except we still have to produce the electricity... and we still have to mine, transport, smelt and produce the Lithium and Cobalt required for their batteries... BOO!

However; to go with @Guitarteach and the storage problem, I like the idea of using electric car batteries as a storage solution. Most cars will be plugged in and on charge over night and for most of the day, so they can be used as part of the grid.

Milspec likes this.
  14. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Did the forum get paid by Bill Gates for that commercial? Should have. It is an interesting concept, but the video was just a commercial soliciting investors...not sure this was the right place for it.

15. imwjl

This or my intent is not about electric cars in a direct sense. It's about the possibilities and utility of that heat. The first things that came to mind after my childhood fascination with magnifying glass was my working around foundries and the short period of my life when I ran a small furnace and poured ingots of AL destined for recycling. The process of shipping ingots instead of scrap breakage. Around that time of life I also drove semis in and out of foundries to think about the heat, mess, their location relative to energy sources and how via transportation still created energy issues.

You jumped to some conclusions that seem biased. Firms are always making content and media to promote and educate. They do it to attract customers and investors. It's just the reality of how most business works.

Unless I really misunderstand you most of us here should be critical more critical of Don Randall? I knew what came out of my mom's AM radio but those posters and magazine ads got me wanting some inner cowboy and surfer when I grew up in small town fly over country.

The core idea from the news makes a whole lot of sense. More diversity in how humans make and do things make a lot of sense. I caught that news in several feeds. I chose what came from the company itself and chose to not post it from a publication where I thought the hyper-political or polarized would make noise just because of the news outlet.

Obsessed likes this.
  16. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The sun could melt the earth if it put it's mind to it...

ftbtx likes this.
  17. Obsessed

Aluminum recycling is great example of your video application. Aluminum can get recycled over and over using less energy than other recyclables. I see the possibility to be able to reuse the aluminum within a solar powered foundry. Of course, in the long run, individual single use aluminum cans has got to stop. And that is part of the bigger perspective.

It is a tough subject to grapple, because there are two avenues that need attention. The short term solutions and the longer term solutions. Different beasts and where do we place the emphasis?

imwjl likes this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I feel the same way. To take another example besides recycling, we compost. It gives us a nice warm feeling but how much of an impact does it have? None. Structural changes are demanded by "us" but have to be implemented "top down". Can't say more.

Obsessed likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When we got to fooling around with those things it wasn't long before we all began playing chicken with a magnifying glass! Ouuuuuuchhhhh!

imwjl likes this.
  20. Obsessed

Agreed 100%. Not only do I compost as much as possible, I compost our little town's coffee shop grounds and the maple leaves from a town friends yard. Now, if I drove the 20 miles round trip just to pick up both of those items to compost, it is an energy sum loss. IOW, that composting would actually have a negative effect. This is how we need to learn how to think about these things.

imwjl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.