Solar shades recommendations?

ukepicker

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
We've decided to put some shades up on our porch. I'm looking for advice and real world experience with them.

I have two openings that are 15' wide and 11' tall. They face EAST and get intense direct sun every morning. Miserable in the summer, unbearably bright in the winter. The good thing is that it is fairly pleasant place to hang out in the afternoons and evenings most of the year (I think during last school year, we only ate dinner as a family inside a few times).

We want to be able to enjoy mornings there, too.

Please tell me about your experiences, good and bad, and recommend brands/styles/materials that I should investigate (or avoid).

Thanks!

We are looking at these and a self-installation:
1660657843458.png

1660657880864.png

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
lol, looking at the same things for our patio. Haven't decided which ones yet. But I will say I have had some when I lived in SoCal and the sun eventually kills them........weakens any fiber/cloth part, and you have to keep the cats off of them.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Not going to help you as they're not national, but I had a local place do a quote for two large patio openings in June, each about 20', closing to right about knee level so about a 12' run. I got quoted around $7,000 and we're going to wait 'til next year.

The price included motors (about $1100) and is fair in my view; the hardware is extremely well put-together and meant to stand up to our winds, the shade cloth is a spec for this company and supposed to handle our 300+ days of sun at 7k'. Even then they say ~15 year replacement for the shades. My guess is a $300 shade lasts 2-3 years and then your neighbors talk about you.

Just my ignorant opinion, but anything not secured as shown above is gonna get blown around. Anything that is secured needs to be done right, not just some j-hooks at the bottom.

Place I went has a patented setup like this, heavy beam along the bottom of the shade with eyelets connected to a vertical shaft secured top and bottom. I would look for something like that vs the Harry Homeowner grade solutions.

1662557784115.png

1662557845385.png

Beebe

Tele-Holic
Not what you are asking, but... I like wood and metal. I'd go with a cedar and/or aluminum blind system. The sections could accordion, flip up and become awnings, or slide in a track individually. And the louvers will give you more control.

A tree in a big pot can also help.