1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Software to compare Layout and Schematic in DIYLC

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Tom Kamphuys, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Tom Kamphuys

Tom Kamphuys Tele-Holic

For my JTM45 build, I've made both a schedule and a layout in DIYLC. Both are usefull: The schematic gives a nice overview, the layout is needed for building the amp.

Getting them the same is quite some work and keeping them the same during changes is difficult (at least for me). Therefore I wrote some software (currently in Octave) to extract a netlist-like file from both the schematic and the layout. This file can than easily be compared using a graphical diff viewer, e.g. meld.

NetListComparison.png

There are still some glitches (pot connection numbering is different, tube pin numbering different), but as a proof of principle it is ok.

Is this something you guys would want? Are there already any tools available? Any feature ideas? Any comments?

Snfoilhat and sds1 like this.
  2. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I can’t easily use DIYLC on my Mac but it sounds cool. BOMs are a royal pain.

3. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

We just used two different marking pens: YELLOW to indicate installation, which was then 'over-marked' using a RED marker when "verified" which caused the yellow to turn to ORANGE, indicating that component was both INSTALLED and VERIFIED.

4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Is there a way for DIYLC to convert layouts to schematics automatically? Or vice versa. That would be a great option.

5. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What's the issue with it on your mac? I'm running DIYLC version 3.40.0 on OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan). I did have to do some messing about to get it going. It was a while ago that I updated to DIYLC 3.40.0. I might be able to give you some tips if you want to give it a try.

6. Tom Kamphuys

Tom Kamphuys Tele-Holic

I don't think that would be possible as the location of a part is not related (only its connections).

What might be possible is to dump all parts from one in the other, so you don't have to create them yourselves.

If the part naming is consistent between both schematic and layout, component value changes could be synched.

JuneauMike likes this.
  7. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Thanks. Don't want to hijack this thread. I'll start a separate one about "How do I...?".

Tom Kamphuys and awasson like this.
  8. Tom Kamphuys

Tom Kamphuys Tele-Holic

Fixed the pin numbering in the software. Besides some intentional differences, two differences remained:

1) pins 1 & 8 were connected together in the layout, but not my the schematic.
    2) The bass pot wiper was connected to different ends on the schematic and layout. A comparison of several schematics online don't agree on this (50-50).

No dramatic errors (as they were on the layout), but it's reassuring to know that they are the same now.

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.