Software for a Beginner

Direwolf

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Folks, I'm looking for some software for my son. He's learning guitar and I'm looking for something that will slow down the songs he likes without changing the pitch. Are any of you aware of something that might help him? TIA

Direwolf

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Well, I think I found something he can and will actually use. It's called Music Speed Changer. It's an app for phones but they also have a web version. It's also free.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Theres a bunch actually.

The "amazing slow downer" app has had a long run of popularity.
There are many others you may want to try. A search would actually give a pretty big list of options.

I would suggest starting with something simple to use, narrowly targeted toward the purpose would be a better place to start than a broader tool that also does the slow down thing.

But everyones needs and preferences vary, and sometimes we have to explore to learn what suits us.

Direwolf

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Theres a bunch actually.

The "amazing slow downer" app has had a long run of popularity.
There are many others you may want to try. A search would actually give a pretty big list of options.

I would suggest starting with something simple to use, narrowly targeted toward the purpose would be a better place to start than a broader tool that also does the slow down thing.

But everyones needs and preferences vary, and sometimes we have to explore to learn what suits us.

Yeah, I've seen a few like Song Surgeon and such. Just wanted to ask people who had used them before and get an opinion before I either got something he wouldn't use or wasn't any good. I had something called looper maybe 20 or 25 years ago that was pretty good for the time. I wish the technology had been around in the 60s!

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Reaper will allow you to import mp3 or wav files and loop and slow them down, as well as making it easy to record (with a usb interface) multiple parts, add midi drums, etc. It's a full blown DAW, with an indefinite free trial, but only $60 to purchase (well worth it really).

Direwolf

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Reaper will allow you to import mp3 or wav files and loop and slow them down, as well as making it easy to record (with a usb interface) multiple parts, add midi drums, etc. It's a full blown DAW, with an indefinite free trial, but only $60 to purchase (well worth it really).

Reaper is the best. I've been using it for a decade at least. I can do just about anything in it but my son isn't going to take the time to learn it until he can play well enough to be interested in recording. He'll lose interest. I've looked at a few free ones and some that aren't. Transcribe! and Song Surgeon look pretty good as does Music Speed Changer which he can use on his laptop and his phone plus it's free. But Transcribe! and Song Surgeon will both show the key and chords which would help him a good bit.

suthol

Friend of Leo's
Is Riffstation still available and free, it does tempo and key changes and also throw the rudimentary chord structure.

Can make vocals sound rather ordinary

I have it but haven't used it for a while

johnDH

Tele-Meister
Audacity does indeed do that, slows it down with no pitch change . Its a great free tool. Great for practising, multitracking, everything you need! Or, change the pitch and key if you want, add EQ, effects, mix etc.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Reaper is the best. I've been using it for a decade at least. I can do just about anything in it but my son isn't going to take the time to learn it until he can play well enough to be interested in recording. He'll lose interest. I've looked at a few free ones and some that aren't. Transcribe! and Song Surgeon look pretty good as does Music Speed Changer which he can use on his laptop and his phone plus it's free. But Transcribe! and Song Surgeon will both show the key and chords which would help him a good bit.
A few other thoughts-
For simple YouTube looping, this site works okay: https://looptube.io/
There are others like it.

And there's this looper pedal plus software that plugs intilo your computer. (It's been recommended to me by an experienced teacher that uses it.) It doesn't do anything the other free loopers do, but frees the hands.
https://vidami.com/

Yeah, Reaper may seem over the top, but just for others, I'll note it is very simple to import a file and loop or slow it down. That assumes one has the file, though. (Add a track, insert media, choose your file, then click/drag at the top to select where to loop, change the tempo bpm to change the speed. By defaul it stretches to keep constant pitch.)

It's great to learn songs this way, listening and figuring them out. Past a very beginning stage (like, a few months) I'd actually caution against having others transcribe for you. A lot of learning and natural ear training happens by figuring things out for one's self. I think part of the motivation/obsession for me was/is the satisfaction of figuring songs out, getting stuck, getting it later after learning a new chord, etc.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Hey, I just found this today: Google provides free a YouTube looper extension for the Chrome browser.

You add the extension here:

Then when you're on a YouTube video you get an extra Loop button where you can select the section to loop.
You can use the built-in Playback Speed setting already available in YouTube to set the speed.

It works pretty well, is built-in and free. Not bad. :D

Here's what it looks like in operation:

1641418223394.png