Soft V on Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by HighlonesomeF5, Sep 15, 2019.

1. HighlonesomeF5

HighlonesomeF5 TDPRI Member

Went guitar shopping last week for first electric, looking for a tele. I tried a Gretsch, EC Strat with soft V and a Am Pro with Deep C. Did not like the G, the tele neck was too thin but loved the Strat. Also thought the Strat had more twang through the Blues Jr amp, no pedals. Always thought I was a tele guy. Why isn't the AmPro tele offered with a v neck? I know I can replace the neck or buy a cheaper tele but the selection is limited. fingers with 61 years of wear so neck comfort is extremely important.

2. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Actually, the 10/56 V is the best neck profile, IMO. So, I tend to put it on my teles.

3. HighlonesomeF5

Could you explain a 10/56 V? Thanks

4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I copied the V shape of my Jimmie Vaughn Strat neck to my current Tele. Came out pretty good.
    Warmoth also offers a range of necks shapes.

Crawldaddy likes this.
  5. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

6. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

You need to check out and play some different guitars ... See what works for you... Thoughts and preconceptions mean nothing ...

SnidelyWhiplash, howardlo and Tim S like this.
  7. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

CIJ TL-52s from the mid-00s have that neck. The AVRI 56 Strat is similar.

8. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

9. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have a strat with a V that was instantly comfortable. Then I got a tele with a C profile and it took me a couple of weeks to adjust to it, but I love it now. I think my 84 Am STD must have a compound profile - it starts very much like my 2003 tele up by the nut but flattens out more as it approaches the body. It was my dads and I never really got along with it - say in the case for the good part of 15 or 20 years. Recently set it up again and it may be my new #1 - been playing it non stop.

The neck seems to be the most crucial part of the comfort and feel of a guitar for me - I can deal with any weight.

Bottom line, don’t discount a guitar because the neck isn’t quite perfect right away - play it for an hour, if you can, and see if it “settles in”.

10. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Recently put a Baja soft V on a partscaster.

Plays great with the 9.5 radius and the medium jumbo frets.

I have several guitars that run the gamut as far as radius and frets. Plus different pickup configurations by choice.

It's all what you're willing to get used to.

Make music, have fun.:D

11. HighlonesomeF5

Does a replacement neck need modification?

12. stuffinplays

stuffinplays TDPRI Member

Most likely they'll require fretwork, though I've had some Warmoth necks that didn't require any fretwork.

Most replacement necks are drop-in for T & S style Fenders, if that's what you mean by modification then no, generally they'll fit, especially if they are "Fender Licensed" like WD Music, Warmoth, and some others.

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

The Brad Paisley Signature Road Worn has what FMIC has dubbed an "Enhanced V." According to Guitar Player's review, it is "a soft V carve...that is inspired by the neck shape of Paisley's prized '52 Tele."
    [​IMG]

But that's kind of confusing, since FMIC's American Original '50s Telecaster neck is a "genuine vintage-style Fender Telecaster® guitar neck featur[ing] a 1952 "U"-shaped profile." The answer lies in the fact that Paisley's '52 is what he calls a "mutt," which is "a ’52 refinished body with a ’56 neck."
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I don't know if that Enhanced V would fit the bill for you, or if the rest of the guitar's specs would be to your liking. Personally, I'm sure I'd like the pickups, especially that Twisted Tele neck, which I've test driven in a friend's Tele. The custom wound '64 bridge pickup I haven't tried yet, but it sure sounds good in every video I've watched. I'm not a fan of paisley pickguards and finishes, nor of the sparkle road worn finish. But I'd probably like the light paulownia body.

14. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

I recently put together a Telecaster from a Warmoth one-piece maple neck with the "Boat neck" profile. It's a pretty obvious V shape, but with a rounded back. Definitely more 'defined' than the V on the Baja.

I love deep, chunky necks, and the boat neck profile is something I enjoy tremendously, it's also on 2 strat builds I did a while back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.