Soft Shell Crab Dinner

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
Tonight I tried a new method, broiled soft shell crab instead of sauteed . It was incredible, I think this is my new method. I served it over toasted sour dough bread that I cut into thick slices. I painted the toast with ramp compound butter that I made a few weeks ago, then more ramp butter over the top of everything, with a squeeze of lemon to finish. All the juices from the crab were absorbed by the thick toast. I even saved the liquid from when I was cleaning the crabs, heated it up and poured that on as well

I can't post a photo because it came out looking like a mess. Next time I'll be more careful. Soft shells are fresh in the market now, so go get some and try it for yourself!

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
You are lucky to have the venerable Dungeness crab. I used to eat it as much as I could afford to when I lived in the Pacific Northwest.

The blue crab of the northeast United States just doesn't have that much meat on it, but I love the soft shell phase. Not that I don't love the hard shell too....

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
I’d eat it.
My mom’s favorite food is fried soft shell crab.
I’ll admit that the sautéed version looks a bit off putting.
But hey that’s what the top piece of French bread on the poboy is for.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
You are lucky to have the venerable Dungeness crab. I used to eat it as much as I could afford to when I lived in the Pacific Northwest.

The blue crab of the northeast United States just doesn't have that much meat on it, but I love the soft shell phase. Not that I don't love the hard shell too....
Yeah, love the Dungeness for sure. probably my favorite food over lobster. But I spent time back in Maryland and around there, I wasnt much for trying to clean and pick the meat out of blues but are great cooked soft shell for sure.

Mike H.

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I'd order that in a restaurant. Soft-shell crab is one of my favorite forms of seafood.
There is a food truck called Adam's Grub Truck in San Francisco that makes one of the best sandwiches I've ever eaten.
It's called the Kraken, and it has a pair of deep-fried soft-shell crabs topped with Asian slaw, Sriracha, bacon, seaweed, and guacamole on a toasted bun.
I'm salivating just thinking about it.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
I love soft shell crab but rarely get to enjoy it here in mid-Michigan. Last time was during a spring trip where I bought frozen ones from a Florida shrimp trailer and prepared them myself. My wife isn’t a fan and restaurants here don’t serve it, so fresh is pretty much impossible.

I like them sautéed or fried but your prep sounds great.

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm not a fan of eating the shell. My best man's MIL used to live on Long Island. We'd go down there and catch blue crab and grill them up. Amazing.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m blaming you for me developing a craving for softshells. It’s been too long - probably 2-3 years since I had any. I know I can source some around here but I’ll bet it’s going to be $$$.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
My mouth was watering before I finished reading the first paragraph. :)

Intubator

Tele-Afflicted
Bawlmer, Merlin- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
I've had em very lightly battered and deep fried on a kaiser roll with LTM and a sprinkling of Old Bay seasoning on them, just a light dusting. Delicious!! Also, exellent sauteed in a cast iron pan in butter after a light dusting of flour, then on to a sandwich...

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I can walk to this Japanese restaurant but the
0358E909-170D-4205-9011-06AA130A13D4.jpeg
price is for one crab.

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
I hear crabs are pretty good around these parts. Gonna have to give a few places a go and report back in.