Soft fret wire on Classic Vibe?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Airdale, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Airdale

Airdale TDPRI Member

I started seeing this on the internet a few years ago, people complaining that their Squier CV had excessive fret wear after just a few months of playing. Has anyone on this forum experienced this? My CV is 5 years old, gets played about an hour a day, and has no abnormal fret wear. The frets are still in excellent condition.

2. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

That's the word on the street. Mine started to dent or flatten fairly quickly, but I did play it a lot. I recently leveled and crowned them so they should be good to go for a while

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My CVC showed more fret wear after two years than my Danelectro did after twenty. Not difficult to crown it out, but I'd have to agree, it is on the soft side.
    My CV50's is starting to show wear with divots under the plain strings 1st to 9th frets and tramlines on the wound ( chords ). There's flattening 9th to 15th ( widdle space ) too. Not as bad as the CVC for a given amount of play time though.

Dismalhead likes this.
  4. roycaster

roycaster Tele-Holic

Even with favorable currency exchange rates, corners have to be cut to make the price point…

3-Chord-Genius and rangercaster like this.
  5. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

I have a 2002 MIM Fender '69RI Thinline. The frets are like tin. I played it maybe 30 minutes a day when I first got it in 2005. Six months later I started to see excessive wear. Last year I finally leveled and crowned them. Six months later... a hell of a lot of wear, again. At this point the guitar needs new frets, no getting around that.

6. CavalierX

CavalierX TDPRI Member

I tend to be an abusive jerk to my Tele's bending and grinding strings on the frets all the time... flat or wound I don't care vibrato cords all the way up and down. I have not noticed any "excessive wear" to the frets of either of my Bullets or the CVC I have. The CVCs are 2009s so I can not speak to the newer CVs, but if its a issue I would just stay away the Stainless Strings and keep it to Ernie Balls or other nickle coated strings. Maybe even check out the new coated string if the wear is concerning. GL

7. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

My Vintage Modified is the same way. I was disappointed to find my PRS SE is even worse when it comes to fret wear. I have 2 SE's and a Squire VM that I play regularly. The SE's are 2 and 3 years old, the squire is 5 years old. The 2018 SE is equivalent to the Squires and the VM has been played a lot more since that was my beginner guitar and only guitar for a couple of years.

I get the impression that's the caveat of affordable guitars. Corners are cut in some areas like materials used for frets and other hardware like tuners and bridges. Fortunately for me I learned how to do refrets on a vintage project guitar. It wasn't difficult, just time consuming and cost as much in tools as to get a proper setup with leveling done professionally.

8. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

Are you guys seeing a change on the frets since the move from China to Indonesia? Or are you saying the frets were soft on the older Chinese made ones and they're still soft on the newer Indonesian CVs?

9. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I had a 90s Mexican Fender Strat with similar frets. Pure junk. I guess you get what you pay for.

10. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Mines a 2014 Chinese cv50s

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

11. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

Mine have some indentations in the first three frets and around the twelve (I suppose I play more in that area of the fretboard) and I don't even play it very often. Yes the frets are soft.

I don't know why guitar companies are still using soft alloys for frets, modern steel and cobalt strings are very hard on low quality frets, and it's not something you can easily replace like a pickup or a bridge.

12. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

Mine is 11 years old and frets have plenty of life, never leveled or crowned them
    P.S this guitar was gigged extensively at some point

13. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

no problems with my squires or my mim fenders

Fendereedo likes this.
  14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I got my Squier CV 50s tele the first time they came out and you could only get the white one.
    And yep, I wore those frets right out. In love with the neck though, so I installed stainless on the first seven

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.