Soc-cer?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jupiter, Feb 28, 2012.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Rugby players eat their dead.

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeh.. facing down a Kiwi Haka would give you cause to think that.....

look at death, look at death... I think one of them starts, in pukiah..

3. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ringa (hand) pakia (slap).

4. trev333

I knew I'd get that wrong...:lol:

I was trying to sort out a mates new connection/email recently and that P word was part of his pword... I must have typed it 50 times and never got it right trying to logon with what he thought his addy was....,until I figured out his addy had a dot in the middle of 2 names and got in..
    ... I'm sure there was a h in there somewhere?.. the u was wrong/typo...sorry..:oops:

pakiha, i think he used..

5. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

iv seen Football (soccer) games in a pub where every human emotional is present at some point in the fans. a win can give you a high that lasts for weeks.

the Rugby world cup was the best. full english at 7am in the pub watching England play. you yankees didnt do too badly in the rugby world cup.

for those of you not familiar, thats the England rugby team

6. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What's "O2" mean??

7. Nick JD

Cellphone.

8. Nick JD

Pakeha = British European in Maori. :D

9. trev333

In old mates case.. it was the name of his german shepherd.....

now deceased... top dog old pahki...

a lot of my old friends went surfing in kiwi land through the early 70's.. they came back with all these new words/place names..

10. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

I know what you did there. Tragically funny. Only in Uruguay.

Soccer did help stop WWI for a week or so during the Christmas of 1914 throughout the front, and was observed at some areas on subsequent Christmases.

Both sides, French/Brits and the Germans, fraternized, sang carols, traded goods and played soccer. Then the generals heard about it and thus, millions more had to die.

BTW, American Rugby did splendid during the last World Cup. I was rooting for them in all their games. The game against Russia? Excellent. Imagine if they had big NFL guys who knew how to handle a ball. Wowzers they can crush any non-Test teams. Do they still consider nations as Test and non-Test in rugby? Anywho...

And I always content if America decides that football (soccer) is a proper game and put some effort into it, the USA would be as good as any 2nd tier nation, if their not already one. Appropriate you guys just beaten Italy~

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  11. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just don't see it happening, not in my lifetime anyway.

I don't have one single friend who pays ANY attention to soccer, with the exception being if USA is making waves in world cup play. Even then... it has FAR more to do with nationalism than love of the sport.

12. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

i would love to see an NFL dream team face off against the All-blacks in some kind of Football/rugby spliced mutant game.

13. Markdett

Markdett Tele-Meister

I disagree, Colo. Allot of my friends pay attention to both MLS and some foreign leagues. For about 3 generations now, a gazillion American kids have been playing youth soccer at various levels. MLS is finally developing a system of apprenticeship/training similar to Europe and the UK. The first generation is now reaching the age where they have income to spend on games and team swag, as well as a passion for the game. MLS games arent that expensive to go to compared to NFL or MLB. Seats for DC United home games this year are running $25-$60. You can't hardly get lunch at an NFL game for that.

14. Thorby Bislam

Thorby Bislam Tele-Afflicted

No real info as such. I am just curious how you feel about your own league. The MLS isn't that well known here. Heck, I even got the name wrong. :D

The only team most people have heard of is LA Galaxy and then only because of Beckham. They tend to regard the MLS as a sort of retirement home for footballers, a place for them to go for one last payday when they can no longer play at the highest level. I however, would rather find out for myself than blindly follow the often chauvinistic opinions of others.

15. dym fi

dym fi TDPRI Member

USA soccer would improve if/when your top young athletes CHOSE the sport as a career...the few that have-Brad Friedel for example have excelled, your rugby team also is full of Football (US) nearly men who failed to make the grade and have turned to another collision sport to earn a living...good luck to them I say.

Until the cream of US talent want to be a soccer player above being say a baseball star it wont be a top team...I don't blame them there's much more money to be made in US sports plus it's the sport they grow up loving.

I agree with the poster saying it's the sport you grow up with you will love(although I am a Welshman who loves NFL and MLB).

16. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Yep. I live about 10 minutes away from the Union's stadium in Chester, PA. And I must say I don't know a single person who has ever attended a game. Now that's just me, in fairness they seem to draw good crowds and have a decent team, so people are going, but I'm a pretty big sports fan as are most of my friends and it's something that is not even on our radar. Not meant as a slight to the team or the game...just a fact.

Like E said, I'd be shocked if that changed in my lifetime.

17. wshelley

wshelley Tele-Holic

Any sport that can end in a tie, isn't in fact a sport at all. Hockey and American Football fixed this. Soccer needs to. Every game needs a winner and loser.

18. superchicken_VI

superchicken_VI Friend of Leo's

Soccer will never be a hugely popular sport on the order of American football, basketball, or baseball. It wasn't invented here, so we won't care about it. Television won't try too hard to promote it on the networks because there aren't any timeouts and commercial breaks.

19. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

No you weren't. The '78 World Cup was in Argentina.

20. Bleakies

Bleakies NEW MEMBER!

British imperialism.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.