Sobriety

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rockdog, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Meister

This could have been written by me. My drinking resulted in the exercise of TONS of horrible judgment. I ruined my marriage and caused untold pain to my former spouse and my children, and many others. I quit cold turkey about 11 years ago, January 29, 2009, at age 55. I had tried numerous times over the years to "set limits" (two beers a day, for instance), but that only opened me up for making exceptions to those limits on occasion after occasion, and that, in turn, just made me more pre-occupied than ever with the subject of alcohol. Finally, I decided I needed to just get the subject off the table, for good. For me, this time, the key was to keep it simple and NON-dramatic: I declared myself thenceforth to be a non-drinker (doesn't have to be a big deal; it's just that from this day forward, this is who you are); to think of myself as liberated, rather than deprived; to be "retiring" from a long and vigorous drinking career; and, probably the most effective thing-- I immediately started telling damn near everyone I knew that I had quit, and knowing how many eyes were on me definitely factored into my staying with it. Good lord, I can't tell you how awesome it is to wake up every morning feeling great-- no headache, no sick stomach! And to think I was once a guy who thought (seriously, honestly thought!) that life couldn't be any fun without alcohol. Now, I don't even think about it day-to-day. Best to all who face this issue!

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Just came across my tiny desk: U.S. Alcohol-Related Deaths Have Doubled, Study Says

Death certificates spanning 2017 indicate nearly 73,000 people died in the U.S because of liver disease and other alcohol-related illnesses. That is up from just under 36,000 deaths in 1999.​

Deeve likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

How’s it going after a month @Rockdog ?

4. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for checking in. It's going great. I'm down 6 lbs and feel better than I have in a long time. I did have 2 beers during the Superbowl, but the experience was not remarkable except for the fact that I had no desire to continue after 2. My relationship with my immediate family has definitely improved as well. I'd say this is the new normal.

Askwhy and Frodebro like this.
  5. telemnemonics

Sounds great, maybe all the discussion about quitting wasn’t really needed in our case, but I guess it was your putting your foot down and seems like a success story if after two you didn’t want more.

Of course if things go South again later you know what other routes are open to you. Glad you’re doing well and I bet your girls are glad too!

Rockdog and Askwhy like this.
  6. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

A man’s gotta know his limitations.

Rockdog likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

I feel best when right at the edge or a little past them...

8. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Dirty Harry, Magnum Force...underrated movie.

9. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Update: I'm doing fine, and my father is on his way to being fine.

This past Saturday, Dad decided enough was enough, and he stopped digging. For the second time in his life, the first time in 35 years, he checked himself into an inpatient facility. I haven't had the chance to speak with him yet, as he's not allowed a cell phone, but I can't wait to tell him how proud I am of him that he took that first step. I wasn't around for the moment he made the decision, but I'm told by family members that he was holding a glass of vodka during a moment of crisis, and he simply declared, "This is my problem." He put the glass down, and the next day, my uncle drove him to the facility.

One thing I'd like to do is offer him his guitars back. Last year he gave me his Strat and Les Paul, telling me they were mine [now]. I reluctantly took them and just said I'd take care of them unless/until he decided to take them back. I fully expect that he'll refuse, but I'd like for him to at least try and get in the habit of picking up a guitar once a day. Not only is it good for an aging brain, but he's going to need a healthy distraction.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.