So you're ready to buy a new Gaming System,,,

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Dec 9, 2019.

1. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A Ball !! Luxury.

When I was young, all we got to kick around was a scrumpled up newspaper.

2. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

It's actually gone the other way.... Most people 25 or younger don't even own a PC, a lot of my favorite titles don't even come on PC anymore.

I was a PC gaming addict years ago, I used to build a new rig every 12-18 months, then sell the old one to a buddy.

I built my last one 7-8 years ago.... And as much as I want to build a new one, I haven't thrown anything at it, that it hasn't handled easily, most recently Battlefield 5.

I have an Xbox one.... But I like playing shooters.... And playing first person shooters on a console is just ridiculous.

Shuster likes this.
  3. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Probably some kind of retro pie to emulate the games i used to played back then. I don't care much for the newer ones.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

That was IF!!!
    You were good and walked that mile to school with no shoes while in the snow

Not that this is a topic but I remember my father telling me that when grandfather was a child right before the second war coming out of the depression he was lucky to have something cobbled together from a couple pieces of wood to play with
    So most kids don’t have it too bad today

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Boubou and kbold like this.
  5. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wood?? Real wood? Lucky, lucky your grandfather was.

Tell the kids today .... and they won't believe you.

6. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

That is one thing I have never owned, or even used. Never even had any desire for one.

7. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

All the "Get off my lawn!" replies in this thread are just pitiful. If you don't see the attraction of video games, fine. But it is condescending to posture yourself as superior, and therefore the rest of us are inferior, because we like games and you don't.

There is very little on TV or coming out of Hollywood that is interesting to me, and video games are not a lesser form of entertainment than TV or movies. I enjoy the interactive experience more.

If someone has a legitimate question and the only response you have is "I don't like that," maybe you just shouldn't reply. Just one man's opinion.

8. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

Really, you have to decide what kind of games you want to play, that dictates the system you buy.

---------

Switch if you have young kids. The library is more kid friendly.

I play old games, and a lot of old stuff is ported there to keep me entertained.

If you want modern online competitive play - I'd go with either the most expensive XBox, is it the X? Or a high powered computer - depending on what type of games and interface you prefer. (I love RTS and MMORPG, so I'd have to go PC).

Shuster likes this.
  9. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Yeah, but remember "new is bad and old is gooooood".

Shuster and Jim603 like this.
  10. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Yeah yeah yeah, another one who wants to control our answers. You are the sensitive kind aren’t you?
    Were you even born when Quake and Duke Nukem launched?

Zepfan likes this.
  11. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

I'm not trying to control anything, I am just saying that if I ask a question and someone doesn't have an answer, and they say "Whatever you're talking about is beneath me," that person comes across as a pompous jerk. If that's how you want to be, cool. Please, keep those type of responses coming so we know exactly how you are.

And yes, I was around when Duke Nukem launched, and I am a gamer, which I think I made clear in my post. Not sure what you're getting at with that question...

Shuster likes this.
  12. Boubou

I just checked your post numbers, you havent been around here for long.
    Thread hijacking is a way of life.
    You need to develop thicker skin
    Check my answers: PC
    I was around when Quake and Duke launched, i was also around when a stick was the only toy we had.

13. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

Whatever dude. My point is not that I am offended by the responses. The kind of responses I was talking about are unproductive to the OP's question, and that is where the thread hijacking started.

Old people who disparage video games and other things that interest young people are a sure way to keep said young people from wanting to participate on this forum, and possibly to reinforce the idea that guitars are only for old people.

I am done with this topic, feel free to rant on.

My apologies to the OP, and by the way, Nintendo Switch FTW.:D

Shuster likes this.
  14. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

My kid is getting a PS4 for Christmas. I am getting MLB The Show 19. Not a coincidence.

We have Wii, Xbox 360 and XBox One S. I also have my PS2 in storage somewhere.

There used to be a variety of baseball games for gamers to choose from. Now, not so much. MLB The Show seems to be the only one left standing. It is also a PS4 exclusive. Those peeps know what they are doing with those exclusives...selling consoles.

I will be 60 in July if God lets me. I feel no shame.

Dan

Shuster likes this.
  15. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

I still keep up with the gaming console systems, but rarely have time to play. My $.02:

PS4/PS4 pro -- by the far the best selection of games and exclusives. Overall best value in my opinion.

Nintendo Switch -- Really fun and worth it to play Nintendo games which are still some of the best designed games. A game like Zelda Breath of the Wild can be played by a kid, but has enough depth and detail to be enjoyed by hardcore gamers. Form factor is super cool as well.

XBox One/X Box One X -- FWIW, the XBox One X is the most powerful console. Not as many games as PS4, but does have a better selection of racing games which I think you mentioned.

Personally I have a PS4 and a Switch and don't feel they overlap too much.

Shuster likes this.
  16. Boubou

This and the fact I suck with the 2 thumbs joysticks. Give me a mouse and a keyboard

17. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I'm still running on a few year old PC build, and my wife uses the previous build that is over 6 years old and still does well on lower settings on modern FPS games.

I also have an Xbox One, but seldom play except exclusives and if our son ever wants us to join him online since he does not use a PC.

Shuster likes this.
  18. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

No worries Brother, I have found that the same ol' people come out of the woodwork to either dis you or post something negative!! And 95% of them have no life, and hate everybody that live theirs;)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Jim603 likes this.
  19. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I'm liking both the Xbox 1 & the PS4 and I'm hoping that I'll be able to get the new PS5 when it's released around Christmas-time in 2020. Why do I prefer the PS4/5??

1. The smaller less-bulky controller
    2. MLB THE SHOW!!!

'Nuff said.

Daddydex likes this.
  20. Boubou

I resemble that commitment

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.