So you're ready to buy a new Gaming System,,,

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Dec 9, 2019.

1. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I've never been a game guy, really. Cards, board games, etc. Meh! Not much interest. And video games hold even less interest for me. I don't get the attraction. But, millions of people love 'em, that's for sure.

Shuster likes this.
  2. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

I love my Nintendo Switch. There are loads of great games for it, and tons of old school stuff on the eshop. Zelda Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are seriously incredible and the indie games like Celeste and Iconoclasts only add to the fun.

Shuster likes this.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

4. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Timely post! For xmas, I picked up the Xbox One *digital* system, i.e. no discs, for my kids (12 and 9). It was about $135 US with 3 games included.

Does anyone have the all-digital version? Ive seen some reviews critical of the bare bones features but I don't have discs, or a 4k TV, etc...

Shuster likes this.
  5. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

No, actually, I'm not ready to buy a new gaming system. I'm a grown-ass man.

I did rock an Intellivision system back in the day, though. :cool:

electrichead and Fretting out like this.
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

We have an original Duck Hunt/Olympics Nintendo and some kind of PlayStation from 2002...that is enough.

Fretting out and Shuster like this.
  7. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

That has been it, a long with insane dart games and ping pong wars!! But my shoulder is still on the mend, so ping pong is still out, but darts are getting close!!

8. Shuster

One day I plan on growing up, but not anytime soon;)

Fretting out likes this.
  9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I have a 7 year old. I bought XBox One in 2015.. kind of for him, kind of for me. I had played lots of video games when I was younger. I'd owned Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox 360, and PS3 as an adult.

We never really played the XBox One much. First off I got it around the time I started playing guitar. I was already getting bored of games anyway, getting more into guitar was the straw that broke the Camel's back in a way.

But I think the Xbox is terrible with kids unless they're almost old enough to be buying the game system with their own money. The games are heavily biased towards teenage boys. Just too much violence. Gotta pay money to play multiplayer. The kids just constantly swear and spew racial/sexual harassment over the voice chat. (It's been that way for 10-15 years now, XBox 360 was the same way.) Then it's like, "Do I play these games after everyone else went to bed?" But then you realize you're 30-something/40-something and you just don't. The XBox One also has a terrible tendency to be buggy and have long download times. When you're a teenager with a zillion hours to play games a 20 minute update is not that annoying. When you're an adult and you only have 30 minutes the 20 minute update makes you give up. This is a weird thing, XBox 360 was very good about starting up fast and having fast updates. PS3 was horrible. It switched with XBox One/PS4. The only thing we've really played much of is Minecraft. My son loves that. But you can play Minecraft on *anything*.

Anyway.. I won a Nintendo 3DS a few years ago. Immediately realized that was way more family friendly. My son had been asking for a Switch for the last year, that's what the kids his age want. We finally got him one last month for his birthday. Got it almost free with credit card points. It is great for the whole family. Games are fun, content is not offensive, it starts up and turns off instantly like a smartphone, you can play it mobile or on the TV. It's really great.

RiversQC likes this.
  10. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I don’t know if it has to do with growing up but I’ve never been into video games I just don’t get it
    Of course like most of my generation I had a PlayStation when they came out but I guess it’s my small attention span I just find nothing interesting about video games and this new trend of kids watching other people play video games just blows my mind , when I was a kid if I’d play a game at all the most boring part is watching others play while waiting for your turn

11. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Coleco Vision was my first. I played a ton of Zaxxon and Mouse Trap on that bad boy. These days, my 15 year old son is the gaming “head of household” and his system of choice is the current Xbox. The younger kids are still happiest playing more mobile games on tablets and phones.

Shuster and Fretting out like this.
  12. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

13. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

We got a PS4 two years ago. I was leaning toward the Xbox One, mostly because my last console was an Xbox (that still worked and had some great games), but from what I read it was only only backwards compatible with the 360 game disks. If you have a bunch of 360 games that you are itching to play again, it makes sense to get the Xbox One.

That being said, the PS exclusives are some of the best games I've played and I've been pretty happy with it. My son and I have had a blast playing couch co-op games like Minecraft and Call of Duty too.

It's definitely a different generation of gaming though. You can't just pop in a disk and play anymore. Almost everything has to be downloaded, even when you have the disk, so prepare yourself for that.

Shuster likes this.
  14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I had that red ring a few times, I wrapped my 360 in a towel and let it cook for about 10 mins. Then turned it off, waited a half hour and the ring was gone. After a few times doing that I sent it to Microsoft and they fixed it for free. The heat relaxes the motherboard or something like that inside the unit.

If I was getting a new gaming console it would be a new xbox. I banned myself from gaming about 6 years ago because I wasted years on it. I like buying them after a 10 plus year break and when they release a new generation console that's vastly improved in graphics etc.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    LunarSlingShot and Shuster like this.
  15. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

I think a PC is where it’s at these days. My kids and all their friends are PC gamers.

Boubou and Shuster like this.
  16. Shuster

@Chunkocaster , I'm going to give that a go tomorrow, I haven't played since it crashed 3+ years ago! I need my racing fix, been really missing that rush!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It works well, I think they used some kind of inferior heat shield silicone in the earlier Xboxes. Super heating them relaxes it and it's good for a while longer, you can do it over and over but monitor it because they get really hot under the blanket/towel.

Shuster likes this.
  18. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Just Atari Pong. Then Tank Battle came out which was Pong re-imagined, but there was a good game called Maze Craze that was really good.
    Then the Video Arcade places sprout up and I lost interest in the game console.
    After the Arcades started shutting down, I was married and was a father. Work, Family and occasional guitar was all I had time for til my daughter expressed interest in the 8 bit Nintendo system. Whoohoo

Shuster and Fretting out like this.
  19. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I had a look at the Nintendo Switch and PS4 systems while at the store this weekend. Was considering something for my Grandson when he comes over, I could keep them going til he shows up.;)

Shuster likes this.
  20. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I remember my kids' friends coming around to play video games on a split screen.
    Then they upgraded from Playstation 3 to Playstation 4.
    Their friends came around, but now to play video games they had to go home and battle online. (Yes, now they both need a Playstation 4)

+1 for Playstation. -1 for social interaction.

Shuster, Zepfan and Fretting out like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.