so you own multiple guitars...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

wut? :confused: I just don't like the corners of the stickers lifting up and the adhesive gumming up my forearm hairs.... :D

telemnemonics and 24 track like this.
  2. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I do find it a bit amusing when I read that someone has a new guitar on the way, being shipped, and they’ve already ordered new pickups for it... I mean, what if you totally love the ones already in it?!?

Same thing for a new amp being shipped to you... some folks just assume the tubes in it are junk, and have already ordered a full replacement set? Huh? What if the tubes sound better than the new ones you spent a bunch of money for? At least listen to it first!

It seems that some just automatically assume that stock parts must be bad...

MilwMark and 24 track like this.
  3. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I prefer doing guitar builds so I get EXACTLY what I want. I enjoy doing Warmoth builds for my strat and tele needs. I have one Precision Guitar Kits Les Paul build. I do strange pickup configurations that do many things. It would be difficult to find a manufacturer off-the-shelf that can do that.

24 track likes this.
  4. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

My Gibsons, Fenders, Rickenbackers and Parkers are stock. My Epiphones get all the mods.

For example: (1) the Epiphone Dot got a Gibson 490R on the neck and a 57 classic on the bridge; (2) my Sheraton II got a set of Gibson P94s; (3) my Korina G400 got a set of Harmonic Design Z90s and (4) my Les Paul Standard got a Gibson 490R on the neck and a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom on the bridge.

24 track likes this.
  5. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

How do you like the p94s in the Sheraton? I have a set of those to put in my Washburn HB-32 (335 clone), haven’t started that swap yet.
    Also, the 490 pickups are way underrated by most; I love them... but I put A5/A4 magnets in them, which makes them sing. Like T-tops.

24 track likes this.
  6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

All I own was bought for one reason: To be played. Many is the time I have had to make modifications so they would the way I want.
    Change the wiring, switches, pots, jacks, pickups, tuners ... All part of the deal sometimes.

24 track likes this.
  7. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

duplicate post

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  8. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I'm not shy about modding guitars but this has not always been true. Back in the seventies I never modded and didn't even do my own setups. I played Gibsons back then - SGs and LPs. Any work was done by a guitar tech.
    These days I do change bits as I feel necessary. Mostly it seems like lots of guitars come with PUs that are too 'hot' for my taste.
    I just bought a Yamaha AES620HB (arrives tomorrow) that I purchased without pickups. The originals are long gone. I negotiated a favorable price for the guitar without pickups as I already have a nice set of Seth Lover pickups I like. I don't foresee any other mods for this guitar.
    IMG_0571.jpeg
    Edit

24 track likes this.
  9. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I’ve owned up to 22 at a time. I really can’t find anything stock that works for me so for sure pickups get swamped and tuners on most of the Gibsons. I’ve been buying Partscasters and this seems to minimize mods because they are built to what I want.

24 track likes this.
  10. peterpicker

peterpicker Tele-Meister

Heck some folks collect dolls or stamps. Why not guitars? At least they are functional.

bgmacaw, studio1087 and 24 track like this.
  11. TeleCustom

TeleCustom TDPRI Member

I guess I'm just old fashioned. With exception to my one partscaster I keep all mine original equipment.
    I have a sound on 15 different guitars that I'm happy with.

Sent from my XT1080 using TDPRI mobile app

24 track likes this.
  12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

beautiful guitar!

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

So, forcibly biasing emblazonments is a no go?

14. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

OK, understood

My answer is: There is almost no difference between a Custom shop Tele against a Squier tele. An expensive factory Telecaster sounds almost the same than a Squier tele, please, we are not kids anymore... Don't forget that a Tele is just a slab of wood with a bolted neck... come on!! So why not? I modded all my guitars, my Harley, my house and my cars and everything I got is modded to my taste

I can tell you my case: When I bought my Tele, around 1998, there was no Tele with humbucker at the neck and Bigsby Loaded so I had to make it. Factory pickup was crap, has a 2mm poly coat, jack cup was wrong and I has to change that. I spend my first salary as Engineer in a Made in USA Tele as a Holy Grial... Then I joint a band and the other guitar player uses a Made in japan that sounds and plays amazing, we also made some partcasters and they all sound amazing. I tend to favour the adjustment more than the built parts in an instrument regarding to being playable and better tone. A CS wit a bad adjustment sounds an plays worst that a Squier well adjusted... no, a expensive guitar is no holy grial, just wood more expensive that others

24 track likes this.
  15. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

The P94s have been on the Sheraton II for over a decade. A few years after I made the swap, I was reading about Nick Valensi of the Strokes basically doing the same thing.

I really like P94s. They sound something like the high output single coils on the Rickenbacker 330, but glassier - especially when you clean up on the volume. I use .11/.52s on that guitar. No .09 or .10 gauge strings for me on a semi-hollow body guitar.

I have two Chinese made Washburn HB30s. One has a a Gibson 490R/T set. That guitar sounds absolutely fantastic. I used to play rhythm guitar in a band a few years back and the lead guitarist asked me to always play that Washburn HB 30 (over every other guitar in my collection). He loved the tones I could get out of it. It has a bit more high end bite than what you would expect on a semi-hollow body, but in a very good way. I attribute that in large part to the bridge Gibson 490T, which has a nice upper midrange bite. The second HB30 has a pair of Harmonic Design Z90s. They sound very clean...almost too much for my liking. I use Ernie Ball .11/.48s on both Washburns.

I agree with on the Gibson 490 series pickups. I have them in several guitars and love them.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  16. 24 track

that is the point I was triing to make an expensive guitar SHOULD be a better slab of wood and all the part to match , but its not always the case , i have a left handed affinity tele 180.00 cad brand new , the electronics were asian crap , but the setup out of the box , the pickups are outstanding (pots caps , switching, in the garbage right now), now say this is a early 62' tele in mint condition , a little fret wear , and a proper set up , I would leave it alone except for maintenance, becuase Im buying the mojo of a vintage instrument, that needs to be preserved. and I get that

Hey its not a bad thing to mod the guitars , and from this post I see a great portion of us do mod them, and it gets down to form and individual function

all of my strats have custom wiring because I dont like fender pickups and the second tone control is in my way plus I only need a 3 way switch , so I do get it

but the original pickguards are completely stock for resale value

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Too deep for me!
    I reckon most performers are already emblazonmenting out the wazoo one way or another when they get up there, so my objections are about the mess.

18. Danocoustic

Danocoustic Tele-Meister

No position 2 & 4 "quack" for 24 track?

telemnemonics and 24 track like this.
  19. 24 track

plenty of quack....:lol: and I can have all 3 pickups on at the same time

I made the middle tone control a volume knob for the middle pickup and can fade it in /out at will . TBX for tone,switch (1)=neck (2)=neck bridge (3)=bridge

easier for me to work with

wiring 1.jpg

20. Danocoustic

Danocoustic Tele-Meister

Hey, not bad! I like what you've done there.

My Strat mod is a bit different. I wire it to have a master volume and master tone, and replace the middle tone pot with a switch to turn on/off the bridge pickup in any position.

I'd like to have a pickguard with only two holes, and use a push-pull pot for the bridge pickup switch---but I haven't made that pickguard yet. I'll get around to it one day.

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.