so you own multiple guitars...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

This is pretty much the same philosophy that I have. Two guitars are over $1k and I have not modded a thing on either. Everything else under a grand has been modded.

24 track likes this.
  2. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Holic

I have over 30 at this point, but I made more than half of them myself, so it's not as bad as it sounds. (Okay, that's still ridiculous.) I've been through different phases of modding over the years. When I was a younger lad, I would buy a guitar because it sounded so different from all my other guitars and I thought that made it interesting. And then a few months later I'd mod it to sound more like all my other guitars... duh.

When I was playing more with a band, I'd mod the guitars I was playing with them if I just needed a little change for our material. Added a Bigsby to a LP cause I needed a trem for some songs, replaced a neck humbucker with a P90 to give a rounder clean tone for quiet songs, etc. Changed tuners when I had tuning issues. Minimal, practical stuff.

These days, I usually change stuff out just to experiment. Mostly because I build my own now, I'm just interested in finding new combos, either to get new tones or to get the same tones at a lower price point.

24 track likes this.
  3. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have a Steinberger Spirit, which is actually a fairly decent guitar for traveling. At one time I got a pair of "P-Rails" thinking I'd swap them in. Then a) I discovered the guitar was probably going to be tough to work on, and b) I never cared enough to follow through and sold the P-Rails at a local used shop about 8 years later.

I finally realized that the main things I want to do with a guitar are to write tunes and play them. Anything else really distracts from that, and writing an original song or tune which people can listen to later seems a better time investment.

24 track likes this.
  4. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

When I was younger I was guilty of swapping out components on a whim, but with the collection I have now I'm only swapping something if it fails! Out of 6 electrics, 2 are the same thing in different colors, but the rest are different in one way or another which is good enough for me.

24 track likes this.
  5. photoweborama

photoweborama Friend of Leo's

Just keep changing stuff... when my customer have change them I then have more spending money for NAMM!

24 track likes this.
  6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, if Gibson had put the right pots in the guitar I wouldn't have had to change anything. I didn't have to change anything other then strings in my '68 LP when I got it as a new guitar. Why they don't use the right parts to begin with is a mystery to me. On the other hand, I planned a bunch of mods for my MIM Strat, but once I set it up and added a couple of extra springs on the trem, I haven't changed a thing.

24 track likes this.
  7. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

Fender pickups are crap personified? Roy Buchanan played his most iconic music with Fender pickups in his Telecaster, so did Dylan, Clapton, SRV etc....just saying....

24 track likes this.
  8. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have some 30ish guitars, basses and acoustics. I have replaced the electronics in a fair amount of them. I personally don’t like the included pickups such as a 490r or a 490t.

24 track likes this.
  9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

JMHO . and alot of the pickups you mention are vintage , and may have some mojo to them , my expierence is with my 78 strat Left handed prior to I had 60's jags played upside down and 60's teles played upside down of which I was not able to really form a conclusion and since then I have never found a set of fender pick ups I could use....hence my statement

Here is my brother playing two of my early fenders, early fenders were a different story

K.jpg K2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    telemnemonics likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

1) Maybe every five to seven years I find a guitar on the racks that meets my needs, and it's been more than ten years since one of them was affordable.
    2) For the life of me I cannot understand buying guitars new, and given the huge price drop that takes place as soon as an owner changes a single part, I have no interest in paying the premium for "all original" guitars.
    3) On the internet everybody says modded guitars are bad and you should stay away from them, while also, (seemingly) everybody mods their guitars as soon as they get them, some even buying the new replacement parts before they even touch the new guitar.

While it may sound crazy on paper, and I'd have to agree that buying a brand new guitar and immediately modding it is kinda funny; given the current state of affairs, I see little choice but to buy modded guitars that have a shot at meeting my needs, and then making them into what works for me.

I guess another side of modding is that maybe we need to mod guitars for a decade or so before we really know which parts need to be combined which ways to predictably get what results.

A big popular myth is that you cannot predict the results when putting together a parts guitar.
    That is only half true.
    If you buy parts online because you read about them in forums or watched youtubes of guitars with some of the same parts, IMO you will indeed be rolling the dice if you hope to hear your fave youtubetone when you buy the same pickups and mount them in the same wood species.

But IME once you get a bunch of quality parts, even the parts that don't sound great in the first assembly may make another assembly you don't really like the sound of into something you can use.

My guess is that the partscaster and parts market is driven primarily by players searching for their preferred gear specs.
    Whatever it takes to learn what you want/ need/ prefer/ get excited about; is legit IMO.
    Sell me the mistakes cheap please!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    24 track likes this.
  11. 24 track

well said!

12. 24 track

By the way there are no wrong answers here at all

WingedWords and telemnemonics like this.
  13. telemnemonics

Well, one might rightly question the sanity of choosing the life of a musician!

...I didn't really feel like I had a choice, seems astray was always my destination no matter which road I chose...

24 track likes this.
  14. 24 track

LOL:lol::lol::lol::lol:

15. telemnemonics

I may be wrong and I'm sure not everyone is effected the same, but my sense is that emblazoning the words of others on my person or on my gear, forcibly biases anyone I interact with.

I'd like to enter the world each day with full undiminished potential, as I find my ability to be effective often escapes me.

Sometimes though, as musicians, it may help to give listeners a bit of a hand, if we might present any challenges to them.
    This is one I've long struggled with, and actually find delightful fascination in how listeners respond or react to "my music".
    At the same time I'm not even sure where the music comes from or if it's even "mine", so I may serve to limit myself if I pre characterize too much.

24 track likes this.
  16. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

The guitar is mine, I do what I want

24 track likes this.
  17. 24 track

Oh and rightfully so , I was curious as to why we would have to mod an expensive guitar to get the sound we are looking for ,I can see it with used or lower end guitars , but an expensive guitar should have it all, one would think!

this is not a judgement, but a question

18. telemnemonics

Yeah see, this right here is why I try to pay attention to and learn something from those whose habits and methods are in direct opposition to my own.

Sensible choices; a good variety of sound making options: these are just so foreign to my thinking, yet I know they can work for others.

I've been trying to focus on getting several different distorted sounds via different pickup types and pedal/ amp clipping types.
    Over time I'd noticed that I would use different gear but manipulate it to get the sounds I expect to hear.

Even playing my LP I can get sounds that are good sounds, and are similar to recordings of LP players whose work I love, yet I don't like hearing that sort of sound when I play.

So more that trying gear choices from youtube, I try thought choices from other forum posters.
    Well, gear too...

19. telemnemonics

I find the PAF swapping phenomenon to be endlessly entertaining, and a couple of years ago I took another crack at liking HBs by buying used Gibson 57 Classics and Burstbuckers to try out.
    On one side there is the seemingly crazy trend to buy new LPs and SGs etc and pull the pickups with the protective plastic still on them, presumably unplayed.
    At the same time as this seems crazy, my preference for old Fender pickups over any current Fender or aftermarket pickups might be just as crazy.

Regardless though, those two PAF types are legitimately different sounding versions of the same pickup.
    And while both are well loved by many players, I don't seem to like either of them.
    I have to consider that the problem is with me and not with the pickups.

And I'd guess that modding has little or nothing to do with the guitar "having it all", but rather it's about the player.

One thing I want from my gear is to be totally unaware of it when I'm playing music.
    If I'm noticing the gear I'm less able to fully immerse in the music that's happening in and around me.
    Obviously one needs to move through the changes including gear settings, but those become pretty abstract under ideal conditions.

24 track likes this.
  20. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

That's only part of the problem - we can't! We're obsessed with finding that perfect guitar with the perfect everything - finish, colour, hardware, pickups, features....

I bought TWO guitars with broken trussrods. One was a cheap bastard made Japanese Strat copy named "Cortez" and the other was a Memphis Precision bass copy that I altered. I removed everything from the bass and bought a new $450.00 neck for it, but saved $100.00 buying it from Musicians Friend, and a new pickguard although I covered the original with Thunderbomb firecracker package labels, new hardware all around, new wiring, new capacitor, new finish as the old one was horribly done as you could see the wood grain through it - beautiful wood by the way, with a two tone yellow and black sunburst, new pickup and bridge covers and new straplocks. The only thing that I kept were the body, pickup(s), neckplate and pickup elevation plate that was also restored to new. You'd never know that this was touched by anyone since the factory now.

The Cortez got new pickups, new tremolo since the old one didn't even have a tremolo block - just a bent plate (that the strings went through), and new pickguard new finish, and same warped-assed neck. I played the HELL out of that thing since I was only 18 and that time when I bought it. I first saw it at B&B Loan then later at Music Manor (when there was one). Both of these didn't cost more than a hondo (hundred bucks). The Strat - $75.00 (same as B&B Loan) and $99.00 Music Manor.

One word - CHEAP! They don't want quality anymore, but rather quantity!! As they are eyeball deep in debt and need to get out somehow!
    The pickups that are standard in most Fender guitars today are NOT the same as the ones that these guitarists used back in the day. Bigger poles, more winds, more hands on manufacture, etc.
    I understand why buying brand new is a turn off for people - MONEY. I only buy brand new when I can afford it and that's only for certain guitars. I've had three Teles in my life and all of them I put together myself. These aren't the type of guitar that you simply sell, trade, or give away. Either way, I have three parts casters - two Strats (one my own custom guitar) and one Strat that has the Eric Clapton mods for tone controls (TBX, midrange boost) and humbucking pickups with candy apple red body and maple neck. I call that one my David Gilmour guitar as it's the same as the one of The Delicate Sound Of Thunder album/tour, and finally a Tele that has an Allparts neck and Mighty Mite body. Undecided as to what colour finish this will ultimately have. I only change what I don't like and keep the rest.

Of course we all have different reasons for the things that we either do, or don't like about something to change it. This is why Fender offers so many different options on their guitars today. This is to appeal to a wide range of personal tastes. I don't care how much a guitar costs - if I can build it cheaper then that's what I'll do. My Gretsch was over a thousand dollars retail but I got it for $670.00 with tax and fees, etc. But I hated the pickups in it and so I bought actual Fiter'Trons for it with a Melita bridge for both a more traditional look and sound. The functionality of these parts is why I swapped out the old ones and sold them as I didn't buy this guitar with the thought of selling it - EVER!! This is one of those "Once in a lifetime guitars" so I had the money and the opportunity so I got it. I have no problem changing parts from any guitar no matter how much it cost. I just most recently bought a Fender Stratocaster in parts - all Fender except for the body which is ash. I couldn't get it in ash from Fender themselves so I bought it from a retail vendor. This way I could have the '54 Strat without the '54 Strat price!

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.