So WHY Do I Have More Than One Guitar And One Amp?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Feb 3, 2021.

1. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

So WHY Do I Have More Than One Guitar And One Amp?

"Quand on aime, on ne compte pas !" :D

English Google translation : "When we love, we don't count" o_O

For me, these are simply another ways to sound "like me".

I always count my fingers and suprisingly always find the same total number limited to 10 : that's way less that the tones I can have, fortunately...

Yes, people care about the color and the look : they often tell me "you have a nice guitar, I dig the color and the shape". Tone ? Barely...

My audience never are cats : I have 5 at home, and at the slightest first string pick, even unplugged or acoustic, they swiftly disappear on the spot. They only care about the guitar cases, as far as they are enough comfortable and safe, that is to say no unwanted sudden lid closing.

Yes, it's always possible to have "more perfect" anything, until you discover that it is useless, or simply impossible - at least for me ! I must admit that, after all, it is the harsh reality of existence, but it's not so easy... :confused:

French Google translation : " Pourquoi ne pré-refroidissons-nous pas les choses si nous préchauffons les choses?" o_O:confused:

Oh... Here is an existential question... :twisted:

French answer : "Parce que le chauffage électrique au gaz, c'est le chauffage qui pète le feu". :lol:

English Google translation : "Because electric gas heating is the heat that is on fire". o_O

But it's me, OK ? :rolleyes::D I stop... :oops:

-tbln.

black_doug likes this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Back in say 1990-2003, I would never go to a gig without 2 guitars and 2 amps ( just combo amps). Put one amp on top of the other.

At some point ( plus just aging), it hit me " You never need the 2nd amp, and you're too lazy to get out the other guitar!" (I never break strings anymore)

So just 1 guitar and 1 amp now since, and I bring an amp emulator ( Bad Monkey or Joyo American Sound) as 'backup amp'- keep it simple.

I do like my growing collection of small amps.
    I do kind of dial in my own sound ( with OD's/effects), but that comes out a little differently with each. Plus its fun.

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

At a minimum there are 4 directions. It is important that you always have a guitar and amp in full view.

Torren61 likes this.
  4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Because you have a sickness/addiction called G.A.S., just like the rest of us. :D It’s perfectly normal :p

chris m., Torren61 and brookdalebill like this.
  5. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Even if I sound the same playing a Tele or a Jazzmaster, they feel different to me and lead my playing in different directions. Amps have a similar effect.

Plus, as has already been pointed out, guitars and amps are just incredibly ******* cool.

Torren61 likes this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I still do that.
    I bring extra stuff.
    I bring extra stuff for others in the band, too.
    I still bring two amps, and stack them.
    Both amps are the same model, and stack perfectly.
    Stacking them puts the top one at the perfect height.
    My spare has been pressed into service for the other guitar players, and pedal steel players whose gear fails.
    I keep my bass rig in the car, too.
    It too has been there for bass players whose amp fails.
    I have gone to the gigs of my friends, and when their amp fails, I loan em’ mine.
    I bring two guitars for the same reason.
    I rarely use both on a gig myself, but sometimes I do.
    My Dad taught me to be prepared.
    My Dad was cool.
    RIP, Dad.

7. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

Since discovering the Online Guitar World® I've gone from two electric guitars to ten, and from one amp to seven. (Those two guitars and one amp were used exclusively for the three decades prior.)

I laugh because whatever combination I plug together I sit and twiddle dials and knobs until it sounds like "me"... Which is essentially a Tele in middle position with the tone rolled off a tad, through a clean Fender amp.

Rock n Roll.

8. knh555

knh555 Tele-Holic

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

9. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

I think a lot of people own more than one of anything for the sole purpose of posting pictures of it in online forums.

bgmacaw and Chiogtr4x like this.
  10. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

For gigs I always have an extra guitar and an extra amp. Just in case; and they have definitely come in handy in the past (broken string during a song or amp wigging out.) So those backups are immediately justifiable to the wife; beyond that .... have to be more creative. :rolleyes:

11. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

truth: @Torren61: I don't know why you do anything. I'm not sure if I explain my viewpoint, it changes why you decided to do what you did.

Any of y'all for that matter. Even after you lay it all out here, yeah, ok. I see a lot of things that make sense to me. But no one needs to justify any choices for my benefit. Which, of course, goes both ways.

I like to think I'm just here for the ride and I got no complaints, but that wouldn't be 100% truthful. For the most part, it doesn't really matter either.

I like to play guitar. If there's a reason needed for that, well, tough. I prefer playing in a band, but I have done a few of those solo songwriter shows, upon request. That's ok, too.

I like to drink beer, but not as much as I used to.

I got lucky in love, finally, in my 50's, so there's hope for any of y'all who don't think it might work for you.

Lastly, thanks to our colleague @Steerforth for mentioning that tool vendor website, because here's a book I would not have otherwise discovered:

CalvinCobbpic (2).jpg

I have never been on the back of a motorcycle with a woman doing the driving. For all you bucket list types, well, there's a new one. I do have a considerable regard for red hair on a woman.

Guitars, I have a few. Too few to mention.

Ok, that's not accurate, either. It almost feels like Friday.

I'm fixing to retire, my countdown calculator says 85 days, 7 hours, 1 minute. Then every morning will be like Saturday morning.

Steerforth likes this.
  12. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

An array of colors for my tonal palette...no, that's been done, too artsy fartsy.
    More arrows in my quiver...sounds familiar, but kind of antiquated and dumb.
    Additional weapons for my arsenal...not really fighting a war here, just playing some music.
    Life's too short for one guitar...seriously?!

I don't know. I just like having a few. No other reason needed.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    teletimetx likes this.
  13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Because guitars and amps are like friends.
    Picks, cables and stomp boxes are not.
    They are unfortunate necessities to be watched with a weather eye.
    You want your friends to be as many and varied as possible.
    Nobody will ever tell you you have too great a number or variety of friends.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Well yeah, if you keep on having successes like that, you might even move up to human audiences. No telling where that would lead.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

B, But, on the internet it says that old guitars that still look good must sound bad, while old guitars that look bad are the ones that actually sound good???

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sooooooo, that's why they relic them real 'spensive new custom shop Teles, they're trying to trick 'em into sounding good! You da man Mr. T!

17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried to rein in my GAS. I am a gigging guitar player. (Well, I used to be prior to you-know-what). Realistically, for gigging and studio recording I would like to have
    a good Tele, a good Strat, a good LP, and good 335-type guitar, a good shredder guitar, a good steel string acoustic, a good classical, and a couple of good tube amps.
    That box is checked. So all the stuff I have beyond that is mostly stuff I haven't gotten around to selling off.

I have been good about reducing my duplicates. I used to have something like 7 Teles, and now I have 2. One with standard pickups, another with WRHB. I used to have
    something like 3 Strats, now I have one. Etc.

When I was a teenager all I could afford was one guitar, one amp, and a few pedals, and I was perfectly fine with that. So truth be told if I had to I could do it again. Based on what
    I mostly end up using I suppose my stripped down arsenal would be my partscaster Strat with David Gilmour EMG setup and my vintage Fender Super Reverb, with two dirt pedals, a delay pedal,
    and a phase shifter. I could probably get by with just that....so the rest is gravy, I guess.

Toto'sDad and tah1962 like this.
  18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I wanna see the posts by the guy who hates how that old W***caster looks, but bought it because of how well it plays and sounds.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd like to assume this explains the idea that ugly guitars sound better and pretty guitars sound worse.
    But I'd probably be wrong?

For example I never play alder Strats because I don't want to sound like SRV.
    Sounding like SRV makes everybody complain, right?

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  20. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I hope some of you all realize my thread is an example of satire. I’m using humor to expose my own vice for collecting gear plus I added a few other, what I consider to be, humorous ditties.

tubelectron and radiocaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.