So, why all the bird hate?

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
since you asked, jakedog, I think this:

the PRS birds are just silly and look out of place, and the headstock is cringe amateur story hour

these design elements are second-rate, which is a pity because all the technical dimensions of these guitars are of the first rank

it's like looking at a Maserati that has been painted a rainbow with a foam brush, or a runway model who smiles and shows crooked teeth

if your technical specs are perfect, bring the aesthetics up to the same standard and don't hide behind "but it's what makes us distinct!"

having said all that privkly stuff, if PRS is hanging onto those design elements for nostalgic or sentimental reasons, then hooray and who cares what some internet shmoe like me says or thinks

PRS has enough money not to care, and the world is not going to end if they continue to be polarizing

it's good for business, isn't it

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I like the look, until I pick it up to play, then not so much. Simple dots or at least using the same marker, not different for each inlay. I'd really rather have a naked fretboard with small side dots than anything.
Don't hate 'em, just don't want 'em.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I like the looks and sounds of PRS guitars, when other people are playing them…for some reason they don’t “click” with me…

David Grissom, Bugs Henderson, Cody Canada…I love their music and their tone…

If I found one I clicked with, I’d have it in a heartbeat, birds and all.

Alcohen

Tele-Meister
Different strokes, and all that. PRS' whole aesthetic is a turnoff for me. Others see flamed tops and those birds and it hits them in the gonads. All power to them. Always recognized the performance and playability upside, but that was overbalanced by what I see as tacky. Again, that's just my taste.

Then recently I was, like, wtf is he doing making a strat ripoff? Who's going to buy that? (The market seems to have answered that last question). But then Greg has to post this extended love letter detailing exactly why the SS is such a good guitar. Thanks a lot, dude. Now I have to seriously consider buying a guitar with stupid-looking birds on the fretboard and a hideous headstock.

superjam144

Tele-Afflicted
I think his original product line may have been struggling, so he jumped on the strat band wagon. Making what some say is a superior product must have angered many fender die hards... But not being the "real" thing and with subtle differences cosmetically, many are quick to throw jabs.

Not to mention he stole John Mayer in addition to the overall design and pickup building technique... Down to a minutae of detail of early fender models.

The birds, to many fender guys was insult to injury after all that.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
It's not just birds.

PRS-Unicorn.jpg

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
I think his original product line may have been struggling, so he jumped on the strat band wagon. Making what some say is a superior product must have angered many fender die hards... But not being the "real" thing and with subtle differences cosmetically, many are quick to throw jabs.

Not to mention he stole John Mayer in addition to the overall design and pickup building technique... Down to a minutae of detail of early fender models.

According to a local store that is a PRS dealer, they are way backordered on all of the USA made guitars, PRS sales are not "struggling", not at all. They are selling as fast as they can build them, pretty much the same for Fender and Gibson too.

My understanding is that Mayer approached PRS, not the other way around.

But haters gonna hate, so it doesn't really matter. If someone wants a Stratocaster, Fender makes plenty of them, all types, I don't think PRS is cutting into their sales much.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member

I sincerely hope this was sarcasm, and it kinda went over people’s heads. I can’t even think of the world somebody would have to live in to think the Silver Sky happened because sales were slow.

goonie

Friend of Leo's
I'm a 'hollow bird' snob who hates on those tacky solid birds. haha not really but I do think the look suits my McCarty.

Attachments

• mc.jpg
    mc.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 38

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
(just read the OP's post)

I'm neutral on this matter, no love nor hate.
I wish I have one of those, I think I could learn to love'em.

Hating, in many cases seems to me kind of an snobbish attitude.
Why do you need to over react in such a manner to state your position?

Last edited:

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
I’ve always preferred dots on everything. I have birds, trapezoids, etc. My number one is a Les Paul Standard. I‘m just not that big a fan of inlays.

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
I never acknowledged there is "bird hate". But then, I wasn't that interested in PRS and only started looking more when I thought about buying a baritone (bought a Gretsch 'though).
Anyway, taste is something highly subjective.
For example, it is absolutely beyond me, why I would spent serious money in getting a "relic look" on my guitar. I find that a rather ridiculous and pathetic attitude, but hey, there's obviously a market for that.
In general: I appreciate it when someone does something new and back then, the design and the bird inlays were something new.
Maybe that's why I dislike the John Mayer signature, as this is merely a copy?

kennl

Tele-Afflicted
I think that birds cross the line between function and form
on the way to "tree of life" which I believe actually deters from the function

Tree-of-Life-on-Fingerboard.jpg

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
Personally I think, the bird inlays are very beautiful as they give a dynamic on the looks, that more traditional "static" inlays do not give. When I look at PRS with birds and then watch a Les Paul with Crown inlays, the Les Paul just looks so old fashioned and outdated in comparison, to my eyes.
What I don't like on PRS is their headstock shape, that just doesn't do it for me. And I would love if they'd use thicker maple caps to make their cool carving even more pronounced.

Funny enough, I never had a PRS and never desired to own one, but I always had the deepest respect for what PRS did, what he tinkered with and what became industry standard later on. I mean, not all his ideas may be ones he first came up with, but he thought them through to a lot of details. Without him, I guess, a lot of discussions and knowledge which we nowadays assume to be standard, would not have been possible, or at least, at a later point in time. So, I think, for certain things he just widened the view in guitar land for the public.

But okay, yes, he is very good at marketing stuff or to tell a story, but hey, what's so bad about an eager salesman who built up a thriving operation, that is having it's most successful years recently?

littlebadboy

Tele-Afflicted
FWIW, I do think my PRS was a little overpriced now that I’ve had it for several months and still have not received a law or dentistry degree. I check the mail every day, but nothing so far.

I think you got it in the wrong order. It should be a law or dentistry degree before you own one ☺!

I love my PRS. It doesn't have birds, but I cared less if it had. It plays really well and very comfortable to play too!