So, which oil conditioner makes a rosewood 'board darkest? Results.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tone volume, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

don't apply anything on an raw wood fingerboard that "dries" to a hardened film... just don't...

as far as oil goes... I think I've mentioned before... :rolleyes: . . . any oil marketed as being for fingerboard treatment will be fine.. although most are nothing more than mineral oil with some "stuff" in it to look or smell exotic.

I use mineral oil as does a number of the hi-end guitar manufacturers... if it'll work for us, it'll work for you.. It's not necessarily "better" it's just pure, it's uncorrupted with perfumes or other additives.

Mineral oil is NOT gonna cause any skin irritations.. it's the base for about all of the "beauty creams" the Lady smears on her face at night, it's baby oil, suntan oil, hair oil, Surfboard wax, candles, Fake vampire teeth, Big Fat Fake lips... and it's edible... just if ya DO chug a glass full... stay in close proximity to the "facility" you're gonna be needing it.. :eek:

Point is, the are NO negatives to mineral oil.. none... well other than it doesn't SOUND like an esoteric product.

Ron Kirn

2. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

I almost never use anything on a rw board. Just leave it as it but I did buy a MIJ Fender once that had a very dusty, chalky look to the board. It was just odd. I used some bore oil on it, as mentioned above, the oil used by makers of clarinets and oboes of rosewood to keep a new one from cracking.

I did it once. Huge improvement. Never ever had to do it again.

I think in 97.3102% of cases you don't need anything ever applied to your fretboard and I doubt the need to do it annually or whatever some folks do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.